Sign in to follow this  
Carefree_Dude

SP1 Galactic Commander (picture heavy)

I've always been a fan of Space Police, and the space theme in general. The 6986 Mission Commander set has received a lot of complaints though. The biggest: "It's big just for the sake of being big!"

Well, I decided to redesign it. I made it with the mindset that it will still look like the Mission Commander at first glance, the second glance will reveal so much more.

So, I present to you; The Galactic Commander

(excuse me for the poor pics. I don't have good lighting)

100_0454.jpg

This ship is similar in shape and aesthetics to the Mission Commander set, but at the same time is vastly different.

100_0456.jpg

At the front, the cockpit still opens up to reveal a small ground vehicle. The mechanism is still the same, except for the fact I use a much smaller gear track. The entire front section is dedicated just to this mechanism. I guess it is still better than Lego's design of using the entire ship.

100_0455.jpg

The midsection contains what is supposed to be a meeting room/command center. The interior is still kind of a work in progress.

100_0458.jpg

The rear section is pretty much the same as the original model; except for the fact that the interior to the rear goes straight into the interior to the command room.

100_0460.jpg

So, does that mean that the rear no longer detaches? Of course it does.

100_0464.jpg

(Note that the little fliers are still on the wings)

Of course, it would be silly to have a random opening appear in the back of your ship while out in space. So, both the pod and the main ship are equipped with doors that close off the passageway. These can be closed before you even disconnect the pod from the rear!

100_0465.jpg

100_0466.jpg

(for those wondering, the doors fold into the floor when not being used)

100_0467.jpg

And lastly, here is the ship without the prison pod on the back. It looks a little naked.

And as an added bonus, a new flagship to the SP1 fleet!

100_0448.jpg

Thats right! a Galactic Mediator in SP1 colors! isn't it beautiful folks!

Hope you enjoyed this small redesign.

100_0471.jpg

Wow ...

the galactic commander looks great. I like how you used the free space in the middle of the ship for a command center.

I like that you bore in mind to close the holes at the end with doors.

The Mission Commander was always one of my favourite space police sets but now im fan of your "new recreation" :classic:

Dude, that is awesome! I love how it all opens, and the picture at the end with all the big ships together is epic. :thumbup:

Great models. I wasn't a big fan of the Mission Commander either and built a different ship with the same pieces, but yours stays closer to the original design and fixes most of its flaws. :thumbup: I love your SP1 Mediator too, with the original set still being one of my favorite space models.

Hello!

Space Police series I and II are among my most favourite soace themes. The modifications on the original SP I flagship are great! :classic: Finally featuring a closed hull! That was definitely needed. The SP I version of the SP II flagship is also very nice, and the entire fleet looks impressive. :classic:

On a small side note, you might want to have a look at the Eurobricks Index of Tutorials for resizing images for future topics. :classic:

Cheers,

~ Christopher

Awesome modification/improvement of the Mission Commander with a proper interior built in, is probably how it should of been to begin with. The SP1 color scheme is awesome, and I love how it looks on the Galactic Mediator, which I also have the original of and is one of my favorites. :wub: I have the SP3 Galactic Enforcer too, though its colors seem kind of plain next to SP1. :blush:

Big ships need lots of interior! :thumbup:

Edited by Spacefan

Nice modifications! Makes the ship more functional for sure.

The poll in the throwback topic made me remember I also made some modifcations a while back, mostly to add thrusters that can attach to the back section, or to the rest of the ship when it is taken out. Not worth creating a new topic, I think it fits here nicely.

53013064683_90a31b7181.jpg          53012965735_34a33c6d58_z.jpg          

53013064693_8582417052_z.jpg          53012965730_ed70827bc0_z.jpg

Very beautiful! I like both the original and this one. This version should be released as an updated version just like the new Galaxy Explorer was. It's always nice to see Space Police stuff.