matt_one

[ LDD MOC ] Madgun Wraithek ß

My new, big, fat ( maybe obese ) mecha : Madgun Wraithek ß.

Started over a month ago with the head design, as I usually do, this is definitely my biggest model so far.

Hope you like it!

18280709420_6d05a55f46_b.jpg

18500291945_fdd359b939_b.jpg

18634582232_7af4c3161c_b.jpg

18718518555_7ae180d390_b.jpg

18674918225_c7e66618ab_b.jpg

18316599858_74532253b1_b.jpg

18332985509_7ac67dde30_b.jpg

18127573984_cea6b0e9c4_b.jpg

17169987083_c49fc3ddb9_b.jpg

17602532138_cb753b35e7_b.jpg

17325845635_0e022cf07c_b.jpg

Your Gundams are really masterpieces.

I guess it's been asked before, but do you know if the joints would actually be strong enough to build such big (and supposedly heavy) models?

Or maybe if they can actually be built because I don't understand a quarter of what I'm seeing here. :grin:

Stunning!

Thanks!

Your Gundams are really masterpieces.

I guess it's been asked before, but do you know if the joints would actually be strong enough to build such big (and supposedly heavy) models?

Or maybe if they can actually be built because I don't understand a quarter of what I'm seeing here. :grin:

Thank you! I don't have any experience with real bricks building, with the exception of those Mixels that my little son loves so much.

I'm just having fun with Lego Digital Designer and my main aim is to get my models decently rendered, nothing more.

I used this type of joints : http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/48170 and http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/47455

I really don't know if they are strong enough to support such a big model but I guess they should be better than those ball joints

I used in my previous models.

Anyway, you can download this model here http://adf.ly/1IpH8H and see for yourself how it's made.

Thanks Zblj!

As regards your question, I really don't know....real bricks models are not my specialty.

incredible model. i'd love to see one built with real bricks, just to see how it would look

thank you msx80!

To build this one with real bricks would be challenging, expensive and maybe not feasible.

I'm just glad people like it.

Congrats for your Bluerender, many people will appreciate it!

While I can't even dream of building anything as stunning as this from my limited personal experience with huge friggin mechs the joints always fail me, including those so as far as I know it wouldn't be possible (or my joints are just in shit condition).

Edited by Isundir

@ Isundir

My mechs are only digital buildings, nothing more. I have fun assembling them in LDD, then I get my renders with Simlab Composer

and not worry about their structural strenght. I don't know if this mech would stand on its own and I would never suggest to build it with real bricks.

At least, not in this way....

Thanks!

Thank you! I don't have any experience with real bricks building, with the exception of those Mixels that my little son loves so much.

I'm just having fun with Lego Digital Designer and my main aim is to get my models decently rendered, nothing more.

I used this type of joints : http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/48170 and http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/47455

I really don't know if they are strong enough to support such a big model

They definitely are, they're very strong joints, however they're ratchetted, and the digital designer doesn't snap like they would in real life, so it's something to take into account.

You would have fun building this, however it would turn it into a totally different game: gathering stuff in Bricklink. The first time it would be very boring & painful, you'll find out that many of the stuff in the designer don't exist in real life, or are impossible to find. But after a while, getting stuff from Bricklink becomes a game/addiction too.

Judging from the pics, I think the problem wouldn't be the joints but the dressing that looks fragile in places, and the many hero factory parts that may be hard to find in specific colors & cost a fortune.

If I were you, I'd build just the head. It's in the realm of doable (possibly you'll have to rethink your color scheme), and you'll see it's something else to hold it in your hand.

Edited by anothergol

@ anothergol

Hi!

I had fun to build this model with Lego Digital Designer and it would be nice to do the same with real bricks.

I've never dealt with Bricklink, only visited the website sometimes but I really don't know how to search bricks, place an order

and so on....

Anyway, it would be nice to build just the head. I guess that build the whole model could be very expensive

in terms of money and time to spend on it. Maybe I could face this thing step by step....

I agree with you about fragile parts, but if I was building this model surely I'd use paint and....glue!

If you're interested in viewing this model, you can find lxf file here : http://adf.ly/1IpH8H

Regards

This is amazing! I would love to build this for real, I just don't think I would have the patience to hunt down all those parts. Beautiful model regardless. :thumbup:

I would say that, in europe, Brickinling stuff may cost around 15cents/part as a rough average. And it's really an average, there are 2eur parts just like there are 1 cent parts, sometimes for the same part in just a different color.

But it's just an average that I've noticed from my own orders, generally new parts (don't buy used unless you have the choice, it's generally not cheaper anyway, but it's too often crap/dirty).

Shipping costs also add up, you'd probably need up to 5 different shops for this big model.

Let's say to buy parts at the average price of 15cents.

Let's say we want to build the mecha only, without weapons and shield....

It's made up of 2600 parts and the final price would be around 400 €, assuming that you can buy all parts at the same average price.

But I guess it would be very different when it comes to place a real order, and maybe get a final price that is 50% higher than the above average price.

Models are realy masterpieces. I supose you send a lot of time in search for all those parts and how to fit them together in a way to allow different posing!

These typ of joints might hold the weight at least in some positions with least weight on them. I am not sure about parts themselves if they will all hold.

But hey, you had fun with those creations and that's what matters. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Subix!

To have fun is the only reason why I made my creations.

Even if they are "only" digital creations, they are still quite challenging and took me a lot of time.

But I guess it would be very different when it comes to place a real order, and maybe get a final price that is 50% higher than the above average price.

quite possibly.

When I bricklink, I usually buy "rare" parts, so that I can reduce the # of shops I will need for my next MOC. So if you don't have an inventory yet, you will probably have to do several shops, and the shipping costs will add up.

Also you used a lot of bionicle parts (edit: not that many actually), those come & go in specific colors, and the "masks" are usually expensive (ball joints are cheap).

But the most annoying is that the LDD doesn't represent the reality at all, when it comes to colors and sometimes molds. A LOT of pieces simply don't exist in the colors that are in the LDD (opposite is true as well), that's why I suggested you start with the head, to get an idea.

A good example, the 6152 white windshield part that you used on the legs, be aware that the mold in the LDD is wrong, it has 4 more stud holes underneath. It does exist and is very rare without those studs, but only in trans clear blue.

In short, the price isn't the real problem, you will have to be ready to adapt things.

Edited by anothergol

@ anothergol

Last Friday I took a tour on Bricklink...

I started with the head's parts only and after 10 minutes I got a rough idea about how frustrating can be!

You're right about the price, that's not the first problem.

Sometimes parts that should exist are simply not available because the shop is out of these parts,

or they are available in different colors, or shop has one of it only.

For example, if I need two 57587 dome in white color, I would not able to find a shop that has two 57587 in white.

Surely I can adapt things to match existing colors, and I'm ready to paint those parts that doesn't match colors I like,

but it seems hard to place an order limiting my purchase to a few shops.