Sign in to follow this  
Col. Whipstick

Dutch flags for your creations!

Right, by overwhelming popular demand here are the Dutch flags and I'm hoping to hear from a couple Dutch members as to the history and accuracy of these because my own knowledge and material is limited.

Obviously the Prince's flag is well known to me coming from South Africa where the old flag was a variant of this as apparently is the flag of New York in refference to when it was New Amsterdam. This seems the first truly applicable flag for independent Holland after they told the Spanish to go jump. Now, the newer flag of the Netherlands which features a darker blue and red was only approved very recently - 1937, however the red seems to have replaced the orange from 1630 onwards as I understand it, mostly because the Orange was hard to see out at sea. The third addition I've added in is the 'Geus' or Dutch naval jack which I know nothing about, when it was created or used but I imagine it's very modern and probably not likely to be used in MOC's though it's an attractive flag all the same. At some point I will create a VOC variation of the Prince's flag but that will have to wait as the Dutch and Portugese are the priority now for those few and far between Armada enthusiasts. For refference please visit:

Dutch Flags 1

Dutch Flags 2

lego_old_dutch_flag.gif

lego_new_dutch_flag.gif

lego_dutch_geus_flag.gif

They look good to me, but I am no Dutch naval expert!

The last set of flags looks a bit pixelated though.

Hurrah!!! De Nederlanders zijn gekomen!! :'-) :'-) *sing*

Have you thought of making flags for the VOC?

It's quite simple, just a regular Dutch flag with the VOC emblem.

ic-voc.jpg

ic-voc.jpg

Yep... read my initial post. My main question is whether the VOC logo should be on the orange or red flag?

They look good to me, but I am no Dutch naval expert!

The last set of flags looks a bit pixelated though.

That's MSPaint, trust me, spent hours getting some of these to look even that good but by running them through Adobe Illustrator the pixels should smooth out, my problem at the moment is I have zero disk space to download the program but sooner or later when I've finished the first large batch I'll get 'round to it.

Wilhelmus van Nassau ben ik van Duits bloed?! Forget what i just sayd, they look very nice!

Yep... read my initial post. My main question is whether the VOC logo should be on the orange or red flag?

I believe I said that wrong, this is what it's supposed to be:

So you have thought of making flags for the VOC?

Cause you said you wanted to make a variation on the Prince's flag, but I've been on several replica VOC ships, and they flew the Red-white-blue variant. So Red is the answer! *sweet*

I believe I said that wrong, this is what it's supposed to be:

Cause you said you wanted to make a variation on the Prince's flag, but I've been on several replica VOC ships, and they flew the Red-white-blue variant. So Red is the answer! *sweet*

Then that's the one I'll do or perhaps both, I feel the VOC must be old enough that it was flown on the Orange falg. In truth I've never really liked the newer Dutch flag, there's nothing destinctive about it, looks just too French or yet another red, white and blue... the orange was unique and one always associates the Dutch with orange. Maybe it's just because for the first 14 years of my life that was roughly the flag I saw growing up in SA that it wasn't the ideal design for the country at all.

Well... the red in the flag isn't really red, it's vermillion orange....still is today officially...

But i like 'm *wub*

Nederland, oh Nederland, bataafse republiek, wij houden van koloniseren en het vergieten van bloed! :-P

ic-voc.jpg

hollanders... belgen zijn toch beter :-D ;-)

the sides of the white part of the waving flag are a bit weird at frist, but I know it isnt easy compared by the original flags...

TT

Belgen? BELGEN?! Hollander 4 life! Rood-Wit-Blauw! Geen Zwart-Geel-Rood!

Hahahahahaha, because of that wikipedia article...i just found out the imperial armada is actually from zeeland, the Netherlands *sweet*

The red lion of southern Holland on a yellow background looks terribly close to the Feudal flag and coat of arms for Scotland... wait until you see the Spanish flags, everybody borrowed the Cross of Burgundy from each other.