Bobskink

Is it alowed to talk about Mega Bloks over here?

I know what Mega Bloks stands for, for most fanatic Lego collectors. Non the less, I'm also one of these fanatic Lego collectors myself. But I must admit, I do like some Mega Blok things.

Will I be banned now, are there others like ma, can we talk about this in public without being pointed at?...

Edited by Bobskink

You're not alone. There's a bit of Mega Bloks discussion over in the Community forum portion of this site. Additionally, the folks on this forum are nice enough to not ostracize others just for liking different building mediums.

Any non-LEGO discussion goes in the Community forum

It's not against the rules but we are here because we are LEGO fans not MB fans. You probably won'tget the warmest reception if you start a topic just to discuss how you like them. Usually people post reviews of LEGO clone brands in the community, but not general discussion.

Usually people post reviews of LEGO clone brands in the community, but not general discussion.

Good to know, the forum is so big (and I don't have that mush time) that there are places over here I've never even browsed to before.

For the record, I'm also a Spiderman colector, and Mega Bloks happen to have some cool colectible Spidy figures. The brick that comes with it I trow away.

The brick that comes with it I trow away.

I can understand not liking Mega Bloks (I don't like them either)...but doesn't throwing them away seem a bit extreme and wasteful? I mean, there's children who get no building blocks; no LEGO, no Mega Bloks, nothing. Couldn't you give them to kids like that? Or donate them to charity? Or at the very least, sell them?

EDIT: Or you could do something like Siercon and Coral did here. :classic:

Edited by purpleparadox

You're right, but it's only one brick. I donate mush better things to charity than that ;)

You're right, but it's only one brick.

Oh, I hadn't realized it was just one. I thought you meant you were throwing whole sets away, save for the figures! :laugh:

Good to know, the forum is so big (and I don't have that mush time) that there are places over here I've never even browsed to before.

For the record, I'm also a Spiderman colector, and Mega Bloks happen to have some cool colectible Spidy figures. The brick that comes with it I trow away.

And that is a great reason to like it and totally understandable.

I like to think of it like this. We are a LEGO forum that advertises ourselves as a LEGO forum. It'd be like going onto a forum that is for Ferrari and wanting to start a thread about Lamborghini, hopefully they'd allow it, but why would you want to do it? You'll probably get nothing but backsided comments since everyone joined that forum because they like Ferrari not Lamborghini.

I used that example because they are both sports cars, very similar in some aspects like LEGO and MB but the loyalty is in the brand, the name. I'm guessing if you find a MB forum and start making threads about LEGO you wouldn't get the best response or support.

So again, it's okay, but realize the discussion might not end up being what your looking for, due to the environment.

...can we talk about this in public without being pointed at?...

Not pointed at, but certainly a lot of snickering and going quiet when you approach. :wink:

I never understood the venom between fans of the two brands. I like a lot of toys.. I don't care who makes them(Unless the makers are douchebags, see 3A, Shocker Toys, etc).

I loved a lot of the early Dragons lines,and the first run of Pyrates(read: not the gutted versions on store shelves now) was fantastic. That one glowing blue living ghost ship, The Dread Eye Phantom, won toy of the year and one of the lead designers on those lines was scooped up by lego, if I recall correctly.

I haven't gotten any of their stuff since, although some of the massive Halo items have been tempting. I don't care about Halo at all, but I know cool toys when I see them! In fact the only reason I've held off is because I'm saving up money (and space) for the Starcraft line coming next year. If it's as great as the Halo and WoW sets they've been putting out, I'll be broke.

They're also commendable as a well run business. They were hit hard and almost went under after a child died from choking on one of their products(I believe it was a magnetix skeleton dinosaur line, which was pretty great too). Halo saved them, and they've made a smart move going for popular video game licenses that, let's face it, lego won't touch. And while it seems like an obvious money maker now, it was a bold move that no one else had tried before that. Video game toys prior to MB were almost 100% exclusively marketed towards collectors.

As to the comment before about sports cars, I wish the stigma would go away. Yeah, I know it won't, but I wish it would. I'm only aware of one or two MB themed forums, and since the community is so much smaller there's not nearly the level of creativity going on there that is here. Which is a shame, because if some of the crazy AFOLs that are behind lego did start building with all of the various different building lines available, I can't even imagine all the insane MOCs that could be made.

I'm a little new here but it seems to be ok to discuss MB in a derisive, rant-ish sort of way, ha ha.

Seriously though; maybe we need to have a special section for off-brands? I'm living in China presently and wouldn't be averse to having a place to chat about local brands.

Lego is so expensive here and a few of the Chinese models are worth discussing.

That's my two cents anyway.

Edited by bjtpro

I haven't gotten any of their stuff since, although some of the massive Halo items have been tempting. I don't care about Halo at all, but I know cool toys when I see them! In fact the only reason I've held off is because I'm saving up money (and space) for the Starcraft line coming next year. If it's as great as the Halo and WoW sets they've been putting out, I'll be broke.

Whoa...whoa...whoa!?! Hold the phone. MB is making Starcraft! :oh3::oh: I LOVE :wub: Starcraft!

What's your screen name? :look:

Whoa...whoa...whoa!?! Hold the phone. MB is making Starcraft! :oh3::oh: I LOVE :wub: Starcraft!

What's your screen name? :look:

Haha same here!

There's only one set released so far, an expensive preview item Battlecruiser(show here with pieces from the SC boardgame):

megabloksbc2.jpg

While not lego or megabloks related, here's a Battlecruiser I made out of glyos parts (a buildable action figure line probably most comparable to stikfas):

35hk7f5.jpg

I've never picked up any of the "official" starcraft toys over the years, because they've always been just a handful of figures before the line gets cancelled. I always figured the best way to make the line would be through something like Micromachines, and then even said to myself when Halo MB started coming out with their scenery sets "damn, if only they were making starcraft!" Flash forward to a few years later, and they're about to!

My screenname on SC is the same as here, Rez and I play multiple times a week.. usually between the hours of 12AM-4AM when I can't sleep :blush:

We should start seeing reveals of the MB sets in the next couple of months!