Oky

Death Pod

gallery_101_23_281.gif

My entry for the Military Podracer guild build on CABG.

4929810217_94fae520d8_z.jpg

The Death Pod, also known as the "Podracer of Doom" and "The Racing Death", was a kind of military podracer built by a barbaric skeleton-like race in order to protect their planet from invasion during the Clone Wars. It was feared in many systems. Based on the engine design of Mawhonic's powerful GPE-3130 and the aerodynamic cockpit design of Anakin Skywalker's podracer, it was pretty fast for a podracer of its size. The small side turbines were swapped for heavy Gatling guns and turbo lasers were added on top of the engines. Also, the protective grates in front of the large turbines were removed and spikes were added in their place to allow enemies to get chopped up when getting run over by the pod. The cockpit featured two twin blasters, two missiles, and a tank full of napalm that could be dropped in order to get rid of unwanted tailgaters.

4929810231_cd3b6b809d_z.jpg

Here it is without the background and special effects:

p1080173_small.jpg

p1080209_small.jpg

A back view:

4929810245_8081bdeeaf_z.jpg

Wouldn't you be scared megablokless seeing something like this coming toward you?

p1080192_small.jpg

A top view shows that the creators of the Death Pod believed that racing stripes do increase the speed of a vehicle:

p1080199_small.jpg

A close-up of the cockpit:

p1080211_small.jpg

This is the proud driver of this killing machine:

4929810251_f6dbedc0af_z.jpg

You can find more pics in this brickshelf folder.

Edited by KimT

That is really great. Very menacing and also it has a good colour palette. The engines look very good.

I hope you do well in the contest.

Burman :thumbup:

I saw this on Flickr and I was impressed. Heck, I'm still impressed! I love all the details, but my favourite is the beam holding the engines together. :thumbup:

This is looking pretty slick. It's funnny by the name I thought it would be a joke off of the Deathstar's younger brother or something :tongue:

Is this skeleton species at all based off of that smuggler in Ep. I with the skull face?

Sweet! Those engines are huge and really fits very well for a badass racing machine. I love those decals (they are custom made right?) and the black-red color scheme is consistent througout the podracer and gives it the overall 'villainy' look. Props also to the post-edited backgrounds. Very nicely done Oky! :thumbup:

Thanks. :classic:

This is looking pretty slick. It's funnny by the name I thought it would be a joke off of the Deathstar's younger brother or something :tongue:

Is this skeleton species at all based off of that smuggler in Ep. I with the skull face?

Hehe, I thought such a confusion might happen. Oh well.

I didn't really base it on any canon species. I just wanted to have a cool-looking, skull-headed driver. But sure, why not. :laugh:

I love those decals (they are custom made right?)

Wrong. The stickers are from 8897 Jagged Jaws Reef and the piece at the front of the cockpit is from 4582 Red Bullet. I found it while searching for printed parts that would match the color scheme of the stickers and it happened to miraculously fit perfectly in front of that hood sticker. :sweet:

By the way, could a mod please add "MOC:" in front of the title? :blush:

Edited by Oky Wan Kenobi

Wrong. The stickers are from 8897 Jagged Jaws Reef and the piece at the front of the cockpit is from 4582 Red Bullet. I found it while searching for printed parts that would match the color scheme of the stickers and it happened to miraculously fit perfectly in front of that hood sticker. :sweet:

Oh sorry I'm not just so familiar with uncommon non-SW elements. So I guess that explains how the stickers look very professionally-printed, but they do look a perfect fit for the podracer's color scheme.

Stunning entry and an absolute winner! :cry_happy::thumbup:

Very nice turbines, from which set are those?

Good luck with the competition.

Drop dead AWESOME 'Oky Wan' ! :grin:

COOL back story with an even more COOL creation - aw it's nasty - all those guns - they must really hate someone eh ? :devil:

Excellent designing and good luck to you (you should win with this) - I'm a conformist! 'Oky Wan' I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

Man, that's a good effort - superb.

You and Anio should get together and compare MOC podracers.

Do you have instructions for it ?

Awesome creation Oky.

The name suits it very well - and your photoshop skills add that little extra something in the first picture.

Awesome work oky. I love the color scheme, and the fact that when I look at it, it doesn't immediately remind me of an existing pod from the movie.