Mr Greeble

What Modular Should I Buy?

So, I've been thinking about getting another modular after buying The Detectives Office and loving all of it. The main reasons I liked it so much is the multitude of little details and new building techniques that you can't find in normal sets. I'm stuck between deciding which modular to buy though. The Palace Cinema stands out the most to me, but The Parisian Restaurant seems like it would have more little fancy details and techniques. What would you suggest?

Thanks!

If you appreciate little details and new building techniques, then I'd probably recommend the Parisian Restaurant.

The Palace Cinema was a nice build, but I think the Parisian Restaurant was more unique.

The Palace Cinema is a bit bigger, with most of its detail work focused on the exterior of the building while the Parisian Restaurant is smaller, yet is detailed on both the interior and exterior. So I'd say they're pretty evenly balanced. It's really up to you and which one you find the most appealing, but I'd choose to get the Palace Cinema first because it'll retire sooner. Do you have any of the other modulars besides the Detective's Office? Because if you don't have the Petshop, I'd also recommend you try to find that soon if you can because it's the oldest still available.

The Palace Cinema certainly looks impressive from the outside, but it's a bit bland on the inside, especially the second floor.

If your looking for little details, PR is the way to go. It was the modular that started the "Smaller building but more detailed" trend, which now includes the DO and BB.

I would get the PR, but if you are willing to wait, the BB might appeal to you more as I think that it has a little more detail ( Nexo Knights shields on the floor! :grin: )

Just my two cents.

I actually just got the Palace Cinema today, it was my first modular. I'm likely going to be getting the Pet Shop next, just to grab it before it retires and the price increases. I like the PC, it's a pretty big corner building and the outside is intricate. The inside definitely isn't as detailed as some of the newer, smaller sets, although I think the size and outside detail makes up for that. Plus you get a car too :P

I like PR a lot better than PC, but there might be another argument to buy PC: It will probably go out of production a lot earlier than PR.

So if you do not want to run the risk of missing out on it...

My first modular is the PC (the one shown in my avatar); I then bought the DO as soon as it came out early this year and I've just got the PR this week.

Most probably, the Pet Shop could be my next target!

Edited by Carisma

I like PR more. I'm a simple man. I see food, I like. I see olive green in quantity, I buy.

PC's interior is a little bare. First floor isn't tiled, or plated over. Red baseplate is exposed. But there's a multitude of interesting techniques. The sign is quite fun to build up, thanks to the word CINEMA. Attaching it would be fun too.

PR on the other hand has a ton of greebles on the chimney. Nice minibuilds for the kitchen. Restaurant floor is a bit repetitive. But I like the curtain build and the wine cabinet. It will be interesting to learn these new techniques.

If you have any thought about getting the Pet Shop, I would grab it now! It is expected to be the next one to go into retirement. I like it because it was the first Modular I got (and still the only one I have multiples of) and the 2 x 16x32 buildings is nice. Between the PC and PR, I think the PC will retire before the PR so go that way, or get both :) Just don't wait too long to pick up which ever you decide to get.

For context, I think DO is ok on the outside but has perhaps the best interior thus far.

PS is retiring soon if you're considering collecting but is basically empty inside the Town Home.

PC looks nice from the outside but uses stickers and isn't very detailed on the inside.

Having built every modular except GG, I think PR is the best one due to its combination of exterior looks and interior detail.

Thanks guys! I think I'll get the Parisian Restaurant, and perhaps Brick Bank later. Thanks for all the input.

PR is also my favourite modular - but you will regret if you miss the oppourtunity to get PS in a reasonable price :)

I apologize if I am duplicating any previous posts/threads with my question to those of you who have modulars.

I am about to take the plunge and enter the world of Modulars. I have a fair number of train sets and so I felt like this was kind of a natural progression. My question is - are there any modulars (currently available - GG/CC/FB/TH excluded) worth getting multiples of (either to create bigger building or reverse build etc)? I understand a lot of it is probably personal preference and the age-old "purists vs MOC'ers" debate but I figured it would be worth gathering opinions on.

Thank you in advance for your input.

It is interesting looking back at build techniques and how revolutionary they may have been at the time, but now seem commonplace. Almost to the point where some of the older modulars feel blah compared to newer ones. With that said, you can't go wrong with any of them ultimately.

Fire Brigade was my first, so I am really impressed with that one. However, Pet Shop was a great build in terms of you can modify the interior to your heart's content. Plus, I loved the PS side of it. Everyone raves about the townhome side, which is fine, but I prefer the other side. I like the loft and the little kitchenette area.

To buy soon, I'd suggest PS if you can get a chance. If you want to try to get as many as you can, go for the oldest first and work your way up. If you are going for looks only, I'd also throw my suggestion as Parisian Restaurant. And it looks like that is what you are doing, so good call.

the Pet Shop is a good one for buying multiples. There are lots of options for how to MOC or just combine multiples of PS in dynamic ways.

The Palace Cinema would definitely NOT be a good choice, in my opinion. It is quite simplistic in nature and I find the color palette somewhat limiting.

Good luck!

I think every new modular takes the modular line to a new level in terms of detail and build techniques. I've not built them all though to verify. Has any modular released to date been a step back when compared to its predecessors?

Recommend the Pet Shop if you want to get all of them since it is the oldest, otherwise, go with PC or the PR

I had the same dilema, of the four modulars currently available the one I wanted most is temporarily out of stock so I had to choose a different one. I choose the Parisian Restaurant and now have a schedule for the rest of the modulars. I will be buying PS in November, PC in December, DO in January and BB in February. If PS would be retired before november 25th I could always move the entire schedule a month forward. Of course it's entirely up to preferences but I suggest getting the older modulars first if they are still available, it will save you from regret and save you a lot of money if you decide to get them when they've already reached eol.

Out of the two you mentioned, I'd have to side with general opinion and say, get PR! I felt that the Cinema overall had the least interesting build out of all the modulars, except for Grand Emporium, obviously.

But I'll also chime in and say, get Pet Shop if you can still find it somewhere! It's a great build, and most of all, you feels like building actual buildings as opposed to facades and interiors.

Edited by RogerSmith

I felt that the Cinema overall had the least interesting build out of all the modulars, except for Grand Emporium, obviously.

GE at least looks great...

But I'll also chime in and say, get Pet Shop if you can still find it somewhere! It's a great build, and most of all, you feels like building actual buildings as opposed to facades and interiors.

It is still available in S@H.

In terms of looks, I have no preference between GE and PC. They're both ok, but nowhere near my favorite.

PS is listed as out of stock in Germany. I was hoping to get another one during double VIP points.

So I'm new to non-licenced Lego, having not had an unliscenced kit since before my Dark Ages, and now I want to get one of the modular sets as a treat to myself. The question is, which is the best one to start with? I don't have a particular design preference, just want to get one that will look good on a shelf! Any advice would be appreciated

The best modular to display? The Parisian Restaurant! Looks awesome from every angle ;)

But if you want to collect modulars, buying the oldest one is a good idea too ;)

Vassal makes an important point. Modulars skyrocket in price when they retire, so if you want them all eventually then you should buy the one that will retire the soonest.