Sign in to follow this  
BrickMonkeyMOCs

[MOC] Minifig-scale Cat D7 Dozer

I generally build military models and cars, among other things, and haven't really made a construction vehicle before. Yet I have a family member who worked on Caterpillar vehicles for many years, so when I saw the 60074 Bulldozer set I thought it might provide a good base for modifying into a Cat D7 model as a gift. What a thought would be a minor mod eventually turned into a complete rebuild, retaining only the lower-level frame with technic pulley-wheel rollers, and the rear ripper design.

I can update with photos when BrickLink parts are in. Until then, here is a render of the completed design.

27308671156_d9b1d65166.jpg4078569679_1a5c9ee00e.jpg

Photo update:

27085748264_7360c6d0da.jpg27623755741_5b8b92fc3c.jpg

Edited by BrickMonkeyMOCs

It looks nice. May I suggest you include a reference shot of a D7 so we can compare?

With the picture, I have to say, this is a very good representation of the actual machine. At first I thought it looked a little too square in places, but after seeing the photo, that really is how that particular bulldozer looks.

The one area that could use a little update is the squareness of the front windscreen, though I love the compact scale here, so anything else may be quite hard to achieve.

Like you, I am not naturally a construction vehicle kind of guy, so I really appreciate seeing another builder step into the realm of minifig scale construction equipment!

With the picture, I have to say, this is a very good representation of the actual machine. At first I thought it looked a little too square in places, but after seeing the photo, that really is how that particular bulldozer looks.

The one area that could use a little update is the squareness of the front windscreen, though I love the compact scale here, so anything else may be quite hard to achieve.

Like you, I am not naturally a construction vehicle kind of guy, so I really appreciate seeing another builder step into the realm of minifig scale construction equipment!

Thanks for the feedback. I would like to have replicated the slight inwards angling on the front part of the windscreen area, but there just aren't any windscreen parts that will do the job. I would also have preferred trans black over trans clear for the windscreen area, but the parts don't exist yet in that colour.

Edited by BrickMonkeyMOCs

Thanks for the feedback. I would like to have replicated the slight inwards angling on the front part of the windscreen area, but there just aren't any windscreen parts that will do the job. I would also have preferred trans black over trans clear for the windscreen area, but the parts don't exist yet in that colour.

Yeah, that is why I have more or less just stopped using windscreens. I would love to see it in real brick!

This is very cool! love the details :thumbup:

Nice one, it looks very accurate.

Very nice MOC ...it could be an original lego set!

looking great only too clean :laugh:

Thank you. The recipient was very pleased with the model. I was also able to get hold of some clear 1x2x3 panels, so I have removed the horizontal seam in the window area on each side.

I was also able to get hold of some clear 1x2x3 panels, so I have removed the horizontal seam in the window area on each side.

. That would really improve it I think.