Sign in to follow this  
Zepher

Heroica RPG - Quest#153: Missing Medusa

Four heroes make their ways to the entrance of the Hovels.

heroicaquest85-hovelgate.jpg

heroicaquest85-giselle.jpg

"It's your turn."

heroicaquest85-geezard.jpg

"I went last time," grunts the older man.

"Right. Name and business?" asks the guard curtly.

The Party

vJi7H1L.png

Matthias
the Carnival Crusader (StickFig)

Level 26⅓ Druid
*⅙ chance of being
Encouraged
at the start of any battle* *Gains 10 gold for each Humanoid killed* *Immune to
Bound
Slowed

Power Bonus
: 10

Defense
: 6

Health
: 36/36

Ether
: 27/27

Gold:

Abilities
:
Bearer of the Anvil
(Matthias may sacrifice his turn to add his WP or SP to another heroes for the round. He may also improve one weapon at the end of each quest [+1 WP].),
Immortal Waters
(Once per quest, Matthias can heal himself to full health and remove all negative effects during combat. This does not take up an action.)

Equipment
: Ethereal Restored Fireball Extraordinaire (WP:10, also hits enemies listed above and below the target,
Darkness
- and
Lightning
-elemental, deals
Fragile
, user is
Slowed
, hand cannon), Dapper Hat (This amazingly dapper hat gives the wearer a ⅙ chance of being
Encouraged
at the start of any battle, headwear), Hunter's Plate (SP:4, wearer gains 10 gold for each Humanoid killed, suitable for rogues, rangers, barbarians, beast warriors, infiltrators, regulators, and winged warriors) (Dreyrugr), Greaves of the Aubergine Dragoon (SP:2, protects from
Bound
and
Slowed
effects, footwear)

Inventory
: Peashooter (WP:2, deals Burning -2, hand cannon), Pongcanis Crossbow (WP:8, crossbow), XX Handcannon Replica (WP:12, pierces defense, hand cannon), Crocodile Handbag (Max. ether +2, immunity to water; accessory), Toxic Hood (Converts
Poisoned
-effect to
Blessed
for duration of battle, headwear), Winged Sandals (Protects from
Bound
and
Slowed
effects, footwear), Ethereal Garnet (
Earth
and
Sealed
), 2x Ethereal Opal (
Ice
and
Fragile
), Ethereal Ruby (
Fire
and
Afraid
), Opal (
Ice
), 2x Adamantite Shard (¼ of a full Adamantite ore, used for adamantizing weapons), 8x Bone (Distracts the target for the duration of 1 round, preventing Free Hits; worth 5 gold in magic shops), Deadly Venom, 2x Elixir, Grand Potion, Grating Stone, Potion, 2x Red Death Blood, 4x Remedy, 4x Tonic, Doomsday Bomb (Deals 99 damage, bomb), 2x Smoke Bomb, Bedroll, Magic Compass

Quest Items
: Guffington's Seal (Proves the hero is a Friend of Guffington - the hero starts every quest with one Hero's Cocktail ((Makes the hero
Encouraged
Hastened
Lucky
, and
Inspired
, consumable))

ava-throlar2.jpg

Throlar Wineghilm

137 year old male Dwarven Warden.
*Avoids free hits from
Flying
enemies* *immune to
weakened

Level
, 16

Power
, 24
(16+7+1).

Defense
, 1
(0+1).

Health
, 38/38
(33+5).

Gold
, 60.

Equipped
;
Huntsman's Bow
(WP: 7; damages undead; bow),
Shield of Invisibility
(SP: 0; the user is immune to free hits untill they are the last hero standing)
Crow Helmet
(SP: 1; Flying enemies do not deal free hits to the wearer; suitable for Knights and Dragoons; headwear),
Lion's Plate
(Max health +5, Power +1; wearer is immune to
weakened
; suitable for knights and barbarians
; bodywear).

Inventory
;

Weapons;
Elven Sword
(WP: 5, longsword),
Miracle Lance
(A white spear crafted in the likeness of an ancient dragon; WP: 10; doubled against Ancient enemies; lance),
Fellcrest Hand Axe
(WP: 8; deals
bleeding 5
on successful hits; throwing weapon),
Mopagsaber
(WP: 12;
I
ce
elemental; longsword).

Shields;
Elven Shield
(SP: 5;
Ice
and
Darkness
elemental; all elves in the party gain the same amount of SP as long as the wielder is standing).

Artifacts;
Lethauros Crushers
(While equipped, the wearer does double damage to Rock and Flying type enemies; suitable for anyone; footwear),
Amulet of Elven Loyalty
(Wearer can use anything suitable for elves and is considered a friend by all elves; the wearer also becomes
encouraged
if there are elves in the party; suitable to Throlar only; accessory),
Counterstrike Gloves
(If the wearer is damaged by a free hit, they counter with strength equal to their level; handwear),
Quiver of Homing Arrows
(Rolls of AIM become HIT; can only be used with a bow or a crossbow; backwear),
Monkey Armor
(SP:4, immune to
earth
and
bound
; suitable for knights, beast warriors, dragoons, skirmishers and winged warriors; bodywear).

Consumables;
Phoenix Essence,
Soma, Nostrum, x2 Potion, Grand Potion, x3 Remedy,
Hint Coin
(Gives the user a hint about a puzzle or a tricky situation, Useable only once, Has no monetary value), x2 Bone, Floral Bomb, Air Bomb, Dirt Bomb, Water Bomb, Lightning Bomb, x3 Fire Bomb, Baldur Bomb, x2 Smoke Bomb,
First aid kit
(Restores full health and removes all negative effects From the entire party once used).

Equipment;
Bedroll, Shovel, Pickaxe, Magnifying Glass.

Treasures;
Viper scale (worth 40 gold to some NPC's).

Decamon Deck
Magic Carp (Aquatic 1), Volt Ant (Electric 1), Will-o'-the-Wisp (Fiery 1), Tweetybird (Flying 1), Toxic Toad (Plant 1), Ursa Minor (Eithereal 1),
Specter (Dark 2), Dryad (Plant 6).

Darksten (Comrade Commander)

35 year old male human Assassin

Level 24

Power Bonus:

Health:
40/40
(6 [base health] + 23 [level] + 5 [advanced class] + 1 [drumstick] + 5 [raw meat])

Defense
: 3

Gold:

GP
: 46

Equipment:
Composite Bow (WP:11, ignores defense, bow)
Sand Worm Hide (SP: 2, bodywear),
Safety Blanket (SP:1, protects from Afraid, backwear),
Tribal Amulet (Wearer is immune to poisoned, bleeding, cursed, jinxed, and blinded; suitable to barbarians, rangers, beast warriors; accessory)

Inventory:

Weapons:
Spider String Bow (WP:
4, darkness-elem
ental bow),
Crossbow (WP:6),
Fang Dagger
(WP:5, deals double damage to beasts; dagger)

Artifacts:
Vampire Cape (Halves damage from undead enemies; backwear)

Spell Items:
N/A

Consumables:
6x Potion, 5x Grand Potion, Health Core, 5x Remedy, Elixir, 2x Phoenix Essence, 4x Mead, Smelling Salts, 2x Nostrum, Soma, Ambrosia, Root Beer (Restores 10 health, or can be used as a bomb against undead enemies for 20 damage. The Root Beer does not affect non-undead enemies), Aeolus Bomb, Neptune Bomb, Floral Bomb, 4x Lightning Bomb, Smoke Bomb, 6x Venom, Deadly Venom, 5x Bone, Gold Ring
(worth 15 gold; can be given to someone to make them enamored with the giver)

Tools:
Bedroll, Pickaxe, Shovel, Magnifying Glass, Telescope, Magic Compass

aGuN22V.jpg

Lord Cedric (wiz)

34-year-old Male Human Knight

Level 1

Power Bonus: 0

Defense: 4

Health: 10/10

Gold: 10

Equipment: Assassin's Katana (WP 3 Longsword), Makeshift Shield (SP 2 Shield), Boots (SP 2 Footwear)

Inventory: Potion

"Throlar Wineghilm, hero of Heroica, me and my compatriots have been hired to find someone, which would be the watch's job in a properly run city, we're meeting our employer inside those gates."

"Throlar Wineghilm, hero of Heroica, me and my compatriots have been hired to find someone, which would be the watch's job in a properly run city, we're meeting our employer inside those gates."

"Really?" snorts the older guard. "Someone in the Hovels has enough gold to hire Heroica? Who exactly are you working for?"

Darksten waits for his shorter companion before he simply adds

"I'm Darksten"

"Nice to meet you. My name is Giselle, and his is Geezard." Giselle looks around. "Is this your whole party? From what I can tell, Heroica usually travels in more than just pairs."

"Nice to meet you. My name is Giselle, and his is Geezard." Giselle looks around. "Is this your whole party? From what I can tell, Heroica usually travels in more than just pairs."

The assassin ignores the conversation going on between the old man and his companion and focuses on the female before him hoping to judge her age

"You have a keen eye. We are waiting for a few stragglers who should be along shortly. How long have you been working this gate post?"

Edited by Comrade Commander
Format

Matthias sidles up from the direction of Guffington's Manor and nods to the two guards, Darksten, and Throlar, recognizing the other Heroes from the Hall. "Our employer is our own business, I'm sure," he remarks to the inquisitive guardsperson.

Where is this Cedric? the gnome wonders to himself, chuckling slightly at the thought of meeting a green hero.

Sizing the other two Heroes up more closely, Matthias hands Throlar his Pongcanis Crossbow. "Here, now you have a ranged back-up weapon. Keep it, no charge."

Edited by StickFig

Matthias sidles up from the direction of Guffington's Manor and nods to the two guards, Darksten, and Throlar, recognizing the other Heroes from the Hall. "Our employer is our own business, I'm sure," he remarks to the inquisitive guardsperson.

Where is this Cedric? the gnome wonders to himself, chuckling slightly at the thought of meeting a green hero.

Sizing the other two Heroes up more closely, Matthias hands Throlar his Pongcanis Crossbow. "Here, now you have a ranged back-up weapon. Keep it, no charge."

"Hmmm? Oh, sorry. Thank you, but no. It's very generous of you but it offers no real advantage over my other two ranged weapons."

Cedric walks in, extremely late. Despite his lateness, he doesn't say a word, but let's his comrades do the talking.

Sorry for my lateness, everyone. My life has been kind of busy lately.

Edited by wiz

The assassin ignores the conversation going on between the old man and his companion and focuses on the female before him hoping to judge her age

"You have a keen eye. We are waiting for a few stragglers who should be along shortly. How long have you been working this gate post?"

Darksten figures that the woman is somewhere in her early thirties.

"Geezard and I have worked this post since the wall was built. Must be about four years at this point."

"Humph. Wasn't suspicious before, but I sure am now." Geezard scowls at the gnome.

Cedric walks in, extremely late. Despite his lateness, he doesn't say a word, but let's his comrades do the talking.

Sorry for my lateness, everyone. My life has been kind of busy lately.

OoC: No worries, just a reminder that you are expected to check in approximately every 24 hours. If you can't commit to that, please let me know so that someone else can have the opportunity to quest!

The heroes hear trudging boots approaching from behind, and a friendly voice.

GuardB.jpg

"At ease, Geezard and Giselle." The new guard faces the heroes. "You'd think that these two think that it's their job to stop people from entering or leaving the Hovels! Which isn't the case. Eubric is, after all, a free city."

"Oh, wake up, Bert. They built a wall! What do you think it's for?"

GuardB.jpg

"Regardless, the heroes are free to go where they please, and they know it." Once more to the party: "I'm heading into the Hovels myself. Maybe I can help you find where you're going?" His gaze is drawn to Matthias. "Didn't I once kill an assassin with you?"

As the gnome strolls up and starts handing out weapons, Darksten jokingly sticks out his hand hoping he will get a few gold as his share.

When the new guard joins them, the assassin nods along at what seems to be the right points...pretending to miss the part about him killing a member of his profession. Darksten however leaves the choice up to the party if they wanted the guard to join them. He didn't know the man well, and couldn't figure out how it would look having them parade around with a uniformed guard.

Format

"Humph. Wasn't suspicious before, but I sure am now." Geezard scowls at the gnome.

Matthias scowls back comically, sticking his tongue out at the guard.

"Hmmm? Oh, sorry. Thank you, but no. It's very generous of you but it offers no real advantage over my other two ranged weapons."

As the gnome strolls up and starts handing out weapons, Darksten jokingly sticks out his hand hoping he will get a few gold as his share.

"Oh? I only see the one." Matthias raises his eyebrows, grins cheekily, and thrusts the crossbow into Darksten's outstretched hands with a wink. "Enjoy!"

Taking stock of the newcomer, Matthias nods approvingly at the knight's stout footwear. "You'll be Master Cedric, then? Welcome to Heroica."

"Not to keep you and me out, Master guardsman," the gnome says grimly, "but to keep 'undesirables' in." The others can hear the quote marks in Matthias voice.

"Regardless, the heroes are free to go where they please, and they know it." Once more to the party: "I'm heading into the Hovels myself. Maybe I can help you find where you're going?" His gaze is drawn to Matthias. "Didn't I once kill an assassin with you?"

It takes a moment, but recognition dawns on the tiny immortal's face, then distaste at the shared memory. "Yes, it was Private Bert then but you appear to be quite in charge now! Congratulations! And this trip together should be much less deadly than our last - let's head in."

Throlar looks at the knight and nods briefly at him.

The heroes hear trudging boots approaching from behind, and a friendly voice.

GuardB.jpg

"At ease, Geezard and Giselle." The new guard faces the heroes. "You'd think that these two think that it's their job to stop people from entering or leaving the Hovels! Which isn't the case. Eubric is, after all, a free city."

GuardB.jpg

"Thank you for your offer, we'd be most obliged if you can help us."

"Oh? I only see the one." Matthias raises his eyebrows, grins cheekily, and thrusts the crossbow into Darksten's outstretched hands with a wink. "Enjoy!"

Throlar looked at him for a moment, then, smiling, took out a wickedly serrated throwing axe, spun it around in his hand for a moment, and returned it to wherever he'd gotten it from.

"You were saying?" he asked with more than a hint of smugness in his voice.

Taking stock of the newcomer, Matthias nods approvingly at the knight's stout footwear. "You'll be Master Cedric, then? Welcome to Heroica."

"Yes, I am Cedric. Let's get this over with."

Edited by wiz

It takes a moment, but recognition dawns on the tiny immortal's face, then distaste at the shared memory. "Yes, it was Private Bert then but you appear to be quite in charge now! Congratulations! And this trip together should be much less deadly than our last - let's head in."

GuardB.jpg

"Still just a constable. But in this case, and constable who happens to be in the right." He ushers the heroes through the gates and into the Hovels. The heroes can catch Geezard rolling his eyes before they plunge into the real rubble of the place.

"That was truly a bad day for the guard, and for me personally. I lost two friends, and found out that a third friend wasn't a fried at all." He pouts. "But I'm sure that this won't be anything like that."

Throlar looks at the knight and nods briefly at him.

"Thank you for your offer, we'd be most obliged if you can help us."

GuardB.jpg

"Sure thing. Only, you'll need to tell me where you're going." The guard chuckles, drawing the eyes of some folks passing by. They glower at the uniform, and the heroes suddenly wonder if traveling with a guard is safer or more dangerous on this side of the way.

It takes a second for Darkste to register that he was actually being given an item in response to his comic gesture and he can barely mutter a thanks before the party begins to move through the gate...

GuardB.jpg

"Sure thing. Only, you'll need to tell me where you're going." The guard chuckles, drawing the eyes of some folks passing by. They glower at the uniform, and the heroes suddenly wonder if traveling with a guard is safer or more dangerous on this side of the way.

...as the party walks through hovels however the trained assassin feels the watchful eyes on his back seemingly confirming his initial fear. He starts to slow down in order to put a few feet between himself and the rest of the party. This leaves himself in sight of the party, but divorced from the conversation, thus hopefully appearing to be alone so that he could have an element of surprise if the main party is attacked.

Format

Cedric wonders if traveling with a guard was a good idea, not only because of the overwhelming hatred for the guards in the hovels, but because where the party was going might not be a very appraised place by the town watch. He considers putting some distance between him and the party, but it seems the assassin has already done that. Not knowing what to say, Cedric doesn't say anything.

Edited by wiz

The tightlipped and pragmatic heroes continue to wander the hovels aimlessly, because they don't know the location of where they're going and Bert doesn't know the name. The continue to get dirty looks from the citizens, there doesn't appear to be any sort of mob forming.

GuardB.jpg

"I'm not entirely certain, apparently our employer is waiting at a 'clubhouse' belonging to some group called the Court of Demons, have you heard of them?"

Throlar looked around at his companions.

"So, I don't think any of us have met before, mind telling me a bit about yourselves?"

"So, I don't think any of us have met before, mind telling me a bit about yourselves?"

After passing the same burned out structure for the second time, it was clear to the assassin that his efforts to memorize old maps in the library had failed.

Growing bored of wandering, Darksten catches part of the conversation when he came within earshot as the party turned a corner. Hearing the dwarf point out that he didn't know anyone, Darksten realized he really only knew a little about one of his companions.

Keeping an eye on the passing crowds, Darksten pulls alongside the dwarf, and starts:

"You will have to forgive me, I am Darksten, trained ranger from the Eubric forest currently under the banner of Heroica as an...eliminator of sorts. Yourself?"

Format

"I'm not entirely certain, apparently our employer is waiting at a 'clubhouse' belonging to some group called the Court of Demons, have you heard of them?"

Matthias, walking warily, gives a start as he realizes he should have answered that question.

Sorry all, I have notifications turned on but I didn't get anything until Darksten's post!

"You will have to forgive me, I am Darksten, trained ranger from the Eubric forest currently under the banner of Heroica as an...eliminator of sorts. Yourself?"

"And I am Matthias, a druid of Orrik. I have had some small experience with ...our employers, not that it was terrifically pleasant. I assume they will find us in due time."

"And I am Matthias, a druid of Orrik. I have had some small experience with ...our employers, not that it was terrifically pleasant. I assume they will find us in due time."

GuardB.jpg

"Oh. The Court of Demons." Bert's frowns thoughtfully, but then grins again. "We had some trouble with them a few years back, but then they left the scenes. Seems that one of the original members made it back to Eubric with a whole new posse. First day back he marched up to a group of guards on the street, think it was Paolo and some of his boys. The Orc - it was an Orc - said something like 'the Court of Demons is back in town. We're in the hovels. You don't bother us, and we won't bother you' and then marched away."

"Heard they've kept their end of the bargain, though. And no one in the Hovels bothers them. There was one break in, on account of them having an alright place and being all Orcs and foreigners and this being the Hovels, but apparently the Jester took care of the intruders quick as could be and they've been left alone since then. Anyway..." he stops in front of a door. "This is their place."

He tilts his helmet at the heroes and knocks on the door.

GuardB.jpg

"Best of luck."

He takes off strolling down the streets as a voice from within calls out to the heroes.

"You can let yourself in."

"What does it matter? We are mercenaries, here to finish the job as quickly and as efficiently as possible. It matters not who you buffoons are, nor anything about me matter to you. We are not some kids on a fake adventure, we are the professionals. So start acting professional, midget."

"You can let yourself in."

"So start acting professional, midget."

Hand on the door knob, Matthias rounds on the new Hero and erupts. "We are not mercenaries, kiddo. And all of us are professionals, except you. You will not speak to Master Throlar, or myself, or anyone else like that again. Got it?" Without waiting for an answer, the gnome turns back to the door, pushes it open, and strolls in, expecting the others to follow.

wiz, don't be that guy.

OoC: We've had agressive heroes in the past. Give him a few more posts to sand the edges off. Sometimes it takes a few quests for a hero to fit in, and sometimes they never do. As long as he doesn't slow down the quest, he should be fine. Which is not to say don't respond in character, just be careful about policing RP too much in out of character places. Maybe now he'll know to keep his insults in his head, but still think them.

Matthias swings open the door and enters the clubhouse. Bert was right, as far as the Hovels goes, it's not half bad, though the wood closer to the second floor has some clear water damage. Standing behind a desk sorting through some papers is Solimon.

IMG_2662_zpsmwkkgvgh.jpg

IMG_2571_zpszmzquhiw.jpg

"Matthias," says Solimon with the faintest flicker of happiness. "I was growing afraid that you'd lost your way." Solimon flaps his wings once and vaults over the desk gracefully, landing in front of the heroes. "Hello, Heroica. My name is Solimon. As you can see, I am a mutant hailing from the land of Babeleth, though I more recently made my home in Baltarok. I also go by the moniker 'Vizier of the Court'. I take it you are Tholar," he says to Tholar. "And one of you must be Cedric, and the other Darkstan," he says, clearly unable to tell the two humans apart.

"We'll have time for introductions shortly, but I think it'd be best to get straight to business. I live in Eubric with two sisters, Medusa, High Guard of the Court, and Parvati, Seer of the Court. Recently, Medusa went missing, leaving Parvati understandably worried. Normally we'd just have Zane, the Fool, track her down, but he's left town with a friend to do some sight-seeing. After all, it's not like he should have to babysit us."

"Regardless, we are aware that the last place she was seen was at a bar she frequented. We should begin our inquiry there, but I thought it best to have some extra muscle that knew the city before setting off, and Parvati agreed. She's out in the city right now, by the way. Parvati. Trying to see if there is any dark alley we haven't checked yet. I've always found Medusa a little... abrasive, but Parvati's heart would be broken if we didn't return her sister to her, and that is something I simply cannot allow."

His arms hang at his side loosely and he looks at the heroes expectantly.

"What does it matter? We are mercenaries, here to finish the job as quickly and as efficiently as possible. It matters not who you buffoons are, nor anything about me matter to you. We are not some kids on a fake adventure, we are the professionals. So start acting professional, midget."

"Okay," said Throlar, "two things; Firstly, I was trying to be polite and friendly in an attempt to instill camaraderie and a sense of unity in this party, something that has been sadly lacking in all my previous quests, and secondly, I am a dwarf, longshanks. Remember that."

IMG_2571_zpszmzquhiw.jpg

"Matthias," says Solimon with the faintest flicker of happiness. "I was growing afraid that you'd lost your way." Solimon flaps his wings once and vaults over the desk gracefully, landing in front of the heroes. "Hello, Heroica. My name is Solimon. As you can see, I am a mutant hailing from the land of Babeleth, though I more recently made my home in Baltarok. I also go by the moniker 'Vizier of the Court'. I take it you are Tholar," he says to Tholar. "And one of you must be Cedric, and the other Darkstan," he says, clearly unable to tell the two humans apart.

"We'll have time for introductions shortly, but I think it'd be best to get straight to business. I live in Eubric with two sisters, Medusa, High Guard of the Court, and Parvati, Seer of the Court. Recently, Medusa went missing, leaving Parvati understandably worried. Normally we'd just have Zane, the Fool, track her down, but he's left town with a friend to do some sight-seeing. After all, it's not like he should have to babysit us."

"Regardless, we are aware that the last place she was seen was at a bar she frequented. We should begin our inquiry there, but I thought it best to have some extra muscle that knew the city before setting off, and Parvati agreed. She's out in the city right now, by the way. Parvati. Trying to see if there is any dark alley we haven't checked yet. I've always found Medusa a little... abrasive, but Parvati's heart would be broken if we didn't return her sister to her, and that is something I simply cannot allow."

His arms hang at his side loosely and he looks at the heroes expectantly.

Throlar nodded.

"Right," he said, "Where is this bar and how do we get there?"

Babeleth, he thought, why am I not surprised?