lego_legis_legere

[Review] 4437 - Police Pursuit (Forest Police)

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Set Number : 4437

Set Name : Police Pursuit

Theme : Police forest

Pieces : 129

Price : 12.99£ ; 17.99$ ; 14,99€

7365775454_dbb734195b_z.jpg

Introduction

Hi ! Please, take few minutes in order to read - and comment - my first review written in English (inspired by Svelte's work and technical vocabulary) : I took my pictures with the back of the Heroica boardgame (a sober, large and homogeneous surface). If you want to support my personnal reviews, take a look on my French blog http://lego-legis-legere.blogspot.fr/.

I decided to review this theme because it is a very innovative way to introduce the old relationship policemen/thieves (in a forested context instead of an urban one) : I couldn't help to think about Twin Peaks and David Lynch when I see LEGO® sheriff's shirt, wild northern forest and mountainous tops.

Part 1 : Box, Parts and Minifigures

The back of the box shows 5 small vignettes with the classical pattern robbery/pursuit/arrest : I noticed that the policeman who intercepts the thief isn't designed as the the new forest policeman.

7365772880_9b5175b00e_z.jpg

The edge of the box represents the two minifigures (1:1 scale).

7365774316_b53a569813_z.jpg

The set contains a small instruction book and 2 bags(car and quad bike).

7180545389_3f1beb813f_z.jpg

At the end of the instruction book, there is an ingenious picture which links the 2 main themes (City Police/Forest Police).

7365770104_c4d3ebcd4f_z.jpg

The 2 minifigures are very detailed and colourful : take a look to the thief's sleeveless shirt (he's dressed like a hillbilly) or the sheriff's radio and badge.

7180542571_960c9ca60a_z.jpg

7180541047_b5884a072a_z.jpg

Part 2 : The Build - The quad bike

The design is rather simple and convincing with only few bricks (31) and the "police brick" is printed (I really don't like stickers, why T.L.G. doesn't provide extra stickers in each set? Are they too expensive?).

7365764024_5945a06898_z.jpg

Part 2 : The Build - The pick-up truck

Colourful and massive, the pick-up truck is well designed according to my opinion, because it looks powerful, resistant and its size is accurate (as a pick-up is supposed to be). Nevertheless, the trunk isn't handy : too deep and therefore it is very difficult to reach the money and gold once inside.

7365756710_a71a5a39a0_z.jpg

There is enough place in the car bonnet to allow some modifications, so that you can improve the motor's aspect : indeed, the car bonnet (as its roof) can be removed easily.

7180529571_6dc700d2d8_z.jpg

Part 3 : Conclusions

According to me, this set is a very good one. Indeed, it is rather cheap, well-designed and playable.

Price : 10/10

Play : 8/10 (because of the trunk and the lack of weapon for the policeman).

Design : 9/10

7365781386_a518ec66bb_z.jpg

Great review, 'lego_legis_legere'! :sweet:

I think this is a pretty cool set, and I originally wanted to pick this set up, but Loki's Cosmic Cube Escape came into my interest as the better pick-up truck. Now, once this goes on Target clearence next year, I'll pick it up. :wink:

Yes, I agree it is a good review. I've grown spoiled with the excellent Reviewer's Academy reviews which include pictures of the useful parts, and while that would make the review better this was certainly quite good without it.

As for this set, I've held off on buying it. I don't really like the new 6 wide truck/suv models because they make the LEGO bus, semi trucks, etc. look too small. However, I'll probably pick this up soon from Barnes and Noble... whenever I get another 20% coupon this is next on my list (since I've already got doubles of the Great Vehicles sets from the Barnes and Noble store).

Edited by meyerc13

I bought this set almost immediately after it was available. I'm really fond of the offroad truck... it is big and its design is very good. Hardly anything drops off, only that bracket on top of the truck, with the lights..

I also like the other offroaders, like the one that came with the Fire-helicopter set 7206 and the the truck from Horsetransport 7635....Not to mention the dirtbike transport 4433. But, this 4437 offroader is the best IMO also due to its color!!

Greetz, LegoSjaak

Great review, 'lego_legis_legere'! :sweet:

I think this is a pretty cool set, and I originally wanted to pick this set up, but Loki's Cosmic Cube Escape came into my interest as the better pick-up truck. Now, once this goes on Target clearence next year, I'll pick it up. :wink:

Thank you : actually I hesitated a long time between the "Loki's Cosmic Cube Escape" (with Iron Man !) and this set. The price decided for me, I just wanted to share my first English experience of making a review.

The main difficulty was to express my whole opinion, unfortunately my English skills don't allow me to do everything I wanted : so I made it brief and straight to the point.

Thanks to your post, I'm enough motivated to keep on doing this : I be back soon, with a new - and longer - review !

Yes, I agree it is a good review. I've grown spoiled with the excellent Reviewer's Academy reviews which include pictures of the useful parts, and while that would make the review better this was certainly quite good without it.

As for this set, I've held off on buying it. I don't really like the new 6 wide truck/suv models because they make the LEGO bus, semi trucks, etc. look too small. However, I'll probably pick this up soon from Barnes and Noble... whenever I get another 20% coupon this is next on my list (since I've already got doubles of the Great Vehicles sets from the Barnes and Noble store).

Thank you, actually, it's my first English review : the main difficulty was the technical vocabulary. I take a look at the "Reviewer's Academy" : it sounds very interesting and reminds me my teacher's advices (how to comment/photograph ancient documents/objects - I have a master degree in history studies).

I also take a look at "Barnes and Noble" (unknown in France) : is that a kind of books seller? Do they sell LEGO® sets too?

Lastly, I compared my pick-up truck with n°7848 "Toys 'R' Us Truck" and you were right about the size.

7367920102_fb4e44fb09_z.jpg

I bought this set almost immediately after it was available. I'm really fond of the offroad truck... it is big and its design is very good. Hardly anything drops off, only that bracket on top of the truck, with the lights..

I also like the other offroaders, like the one that came with the Fire-helicopter set 7206 and the the truck from Horsetransport 7635....Not to mention the dirtbike transport 4433. But, this 4437 offroader is the best IMO also due to its color!!

Greetz, LegoSjaak

I agree with you about the design (in particular the mix of "New Dark Red", "Medium Stone Grey", "White") and the solidity. Originally, I was interested about reviewing n°4433 "Dirt Bike Transporter", but I really wanted that sheriff's new short (and sunglasses).

I also take a look at "Barnes and Noble" (unknown in France) : is that a kind of books seller? Do they sell LEGO® sets too?

Lastly, I compared my pick-up truck with n°7848 "Toys 'R' Us Truck" and you were right about the size.

[snip]

Neat review lego_legis_legere! I love the truck in this set, but, wow, I did not know it would be that big in comparison to the tractor from 7848!

Barnes and Noble is the largest book retailer and in the U.S. I don't have one near me, but like my local Books- a-Million, it too sells Lego, as well as, a few other types "learning" toys default_classic.gif

Thanks for the review! Yeah, this pick-up truck is somewhat over-the-top in size, but I do feel six studs wide is the ideal size for larger-scale SUVs. Perhaps if the wheels and tires weren't so absurdly huge, this wouldn't look so weird next to tractor-trailer trucks.

Incidentally, did this set have a code anywhere for this page-- maybe on the inside of the box or instruction booklet somewhere?

Edited by Aanchir

I check the box/building instructions and I found no code for DLC (is it a kind of code similar to the POTC's cards?)

Not sure. I'm not sure where the codes will be appearing to be honest. It could be that they'll only be in later production runs of this year's City Police sets, or it could be that it will be in next year's (hypothetical) City Police sets, since the game is due for a holiday 2012 release.

Thanks for checking. :classic:

I like the page showing all the sets together in a brick built diorama. Reminds me of the old catalogs.

Indeed I like it too : actually there is a second page showing a diorama with firemen

7374641390_11aacdc08b_c.jpg