Fugazi

TUTORIAL Posting deeplinked pictures from the NEW Flickr

Updated instructions for deep-linking Flickr pictures -- thanks for this tutorial go to Big Cam, Darkdragon, Artanis I and Clone O'Patra.

Edit: And now Brickdoctor brings us a tutorial for iPod touch users!

Method A

Step 1: Find the image you want, and when you click on it, you should see something similar to this.

8795919584_0fd27563c0_c.jpg

Step 2: Once you've clicked those 3 little dots, you will see this menu. Select "View all Sizes"

8795919496_a9a3a56aca_o.jpg

Step 3: Once at the select a size page, select the size you want, and once the image has loaded, right click anywhere on the image and copy the link URL. Do remember that pictures embedded on EB should be no larger than 800x600.

8795919418_59670fb0f7_c.jpg

If you are using Chrome, it's an option right when you right click (awesome, use Chrome).

If you are using IE, you will have to right click, go to properties and then manually copy the URL address.

If you are using Firefox, right click the image and select "Copy image location"

If you are using Safari(apple/Mac), Ctrl+Click, or Right Click, then "Copy Image address"

Step 4: In your post/reply box, click on the Image button (circled below) and paste the image URL from Step 3. You're done!

gallery_8966_241_35582.jpg

Method B

An easier way is if you are viewing the image normally, right-click it and you will see the "800px" etc links that you see above the image on the "all sizes" page. That will take you directly the size you want where you can right-click and grab the deeplink url like normal.

8797843838_d3996466e4_c.jpg

Method C

Another method to post any Flickr photo on EB is click on the share box (see below), select the BBCode option, select the size from the drop-down menu, then copy & paste the text directly into your post.

gallery_8966_241_27607.jpg

This is the result:

6951743257_0946d5c062_m.jpg

macaroni2 by -Fugazi-, on Flickr

Thanks for the extremely helpful and clear tutorial! Hopefully this will help me like the new Flickr a little more now that I can embed my pictures again.

Thank you for the updated tutorial. It doesn't seem much different from the original way. I didn't realize there was a problem with the new flickr.

Thanks anyway! It will definitely be useful.

This was very easy to understand. A question, just to clarify, about choosing size. Will this automatically resize original image when copying, unlike posting/deeplinking on or from Brick Shelf? :classic:

This was very easy to understand. A question, just to clarify, about choosing size. Will this automatically resize original image when copying, unlike posting/deeplinking on or from Brick Shelf? :classic:

Yes, flickr allows you to select from a range of predefined image sizes, either through the 'View all sizes' option or the dropdown box in the 'Grab BBcode' window.

So is this instead of just putting in the link in the link box and getting the slideshow showing up? I assume this is if we just want to put in one or two photos like before, but that if we want the slideshow then we can use the old fashioned way? Or do you not want us to post slideshows any more?

So is this instead of just putting in the link in the link box and getting the slideshow showing up? I assume this is if we just want to put in one or two photos like before, but that if we want the slideshow then we can use the old fashioned way? Or do you not want us to post slideshows any more?

Yes, you can still use the media tag to post slideshows like you used to:

[media]http://www.flickr.com/photos/29804947@N08/sets/72157626263347638/[/media]

Yes, you can still use the media tag to post slideshows like you used to:

[media]http://www.flickr.com/photos/29804947@N08/sets/72157626263347638/[/media]

Actually I believe it's not necessary to use the media tag, let me see:

Edit: You don't need to insert the tag, however when I hit edit the tag showed (so apparently it's added automatically).

Edited by Kai NRG

Maybe I'm old school but I don't like the slide show, I like being able to take my time and actually look at the pictures, not just glance at them.

Spread the word around about this tutorial, there have been lots of questions on the new flickr.

Cool, thank you very much for this, i didn't know how to do the different sizes before i read this :D much appreciated!!!

8800697469_27995237d7.jpg8800697469_27995237d7_n.jpg

Yes, flickr allows you to select from a range of predefined image sizes, either through the 'View all sizes' option or the dropdown box in the 'Grab BBcode' window.

Well, that makes things a lot easier! Thanks you, Rick :classic:

I am going to make use of this guide when I upload my new batch of photos onto Flickr! Geez, I will certainly be needing visual assistance. Thank you for putting this wonderful and useful tutorial together.

How do I post just a simple link to a flickr gallery without it making it a slideshow by default?

Taking Kai NRG's example gallery:

Set on flickr

You just need to use the url tags instead of only copy-pasting the URL into the editor.

[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/29804947@N08/sets/72157626263347638/"]Set on flickr[/url]

edit:

Nope. What I tried doesn't work. You have to hard code it like Brickdoctor showed.

Edited by Artanis I

Hey mods can you please pin my LOTR MOC Index topic to the top? :cry_happy:

this question doesn't really belong here SheepEater. I have responded in that thread.

I would have put "Method C" first as it is the easiest for non-techie people but otherwise a brilliant guide.

Thanks for the tutorial! But is it possible to do this on an iPod touch?

If you stand on it while you use a real computer, yes. But it will probably break. :tongue:

I don't know. Sorry if that sounds harsh, I have little compassion for people wanting to use pocket gadgets to do everything computer related.

Edited by Artanis I

I fiddled with it a bit, as far as I can tell, no, you can't. The mobile version doesn't have any buttons to access the embedding code, and even though you can view the picture in all sizes, you're never able to get the URL of the picture itself.

I don't know if this has been said already,but on Firefox you can just copy and paste the desired image size directly into the reply box via the right click menu.

This means you don't have to use image tags,which make's life easier. :thumbup:

Thanks for the tutorial! But is it possible to do this on an iPod touch?

I am able to do it just fine on an iPad which uses the same operating system.

I am able to do it just fine on an iPad which uses the same operating system.

As a person that works for and with Apple, I can confirm that although there are some options which are available in iOS 6 on the iPad they are not necessarily available on the iPod touch or iPhone!

I fiddled with it a bit, as far as I can tell, no, you can't. The mobile version doesn't have any buttons to access the embedding code, and even though you can view the picture in all sizes, you're never able to get the URL of the picture itself.

Wait, I got it! Originally, I couldn't get to the URL of the photo on the mobile version, nor could I get to the View All Sizes page on the full version, while on an iPod Touch. But a member PMed me about a similar issue, so I was playing around with it, and:

1. On the mobile version of flickr.com, go to your photostream:
    IMG_0185_zps1ac310e4.jpg
  2. ...and navigate to the picture you want to embed:
    IMG_0186_zps740b3ba1.jpg
  3. On the picture's page, you go to "View and edit info about this photo...":
    IMG_0187_zps015055a2.jpg
  4. Click "View all sizes":
    IMG_0188_zps3dbf38dc.jpg
  5. Now switch back to the full version of flickr:
    IMG_0189_zps8f24ae96.jpg
  6. And now you can finally see a picture that isn't also a link:
    IMG_0190_zps74f706e1.jpg
  7. ...so when you hold down on it, you can hit "Copy":
    IMG_0191_zps64c2f840.jpg
    And if you test this by pasting the copied URL into a new tab:
    IMG_0193_zpsb375a8ea.jpg
  8. So then you can post on EB and embed the image by enclosing the copied URL in img tags: (And this works on mobile EB.)
    IMG_0194_zpsc2afbddf.jpg