according to the 8110 modification collectors thread we should do the same with the 42009 mobile crane Mk2. and i start with some small modifications on the undercarriage.

my first modification adds steering functionality to the flashing lights

9427236663_d3a2260c83.jpg

the second change is widen the body to the width of the stabilizers and chassis

9430006054_9fc3e4bf6e.jpg

comments, critics and your own modifications are welcome.

Just finished building ..

I think TLG made a mistake by putting just one (not powerfull enough) motor into it. The drivetrain to the stabilizers are simply too complicated and thus much friction is going on. I'd put a motor in chassis and one in superstructure and just wires going through the turntable. Either that or a much more powerfull XL motor just under the turntable to drive the lot

The three tier boom is a nice idea, but I can get the same length with just a simple two part boom. I'm not fond of that string thing

It was a fun build, but it's not really good, imho. The stabilizers can't actually lift the truck and the crane cannot actually lift anything. Steering is very nice though

I'll keep it as it is and continue my own MOC

I've found one mistake in the instructions though .. on page 11/book 5 look closely at the stickers :wink:

Just as I did with the Ultimate 8043 I have fully motorized my 42009. All the functions are remote controlled, including steering, driving and rotation.

Other improvements are: boom extends further and steering lock has been increased.

I think I will call it the Ultimate 42009.

Full instructions are planned ...

20130804104857770_800x600.jpg20130804104656124_800x600.jpg

Ah, Jurgen is still alive... I will be very happy about constructions of your improved model like your others.

My favourite improvements, I would make (if I had enough time an ability):

I know, the actuator is not for purists and ist not cheap but it offers more possibilities for such models. I don`t think, that TLG will offers us suchlike this in the future.

Just as I did with the Ultimate 8043 I have fully motorized my 42009. All the functions are remote controlled, including steering, driving and rotation.

Other improvements are: boom extends further and steering lock has been increased.

looking forward to seing more of it, and the instructions.

Edited by Blakbird
Removed large quoted images

Jurgen what motors do you plan to use for your mod?

I have had a really cool idea for a alternative model.

@ Alasdair: An alternative for the Ultimate 42009 ? That would be awesome !!

Some specs of the Ultimate 42009:

• Total max height: 85 cm
  • 1 x PF-XL-motor for drive
  • 5 x PF-M-Motor for outriggers (2 x), steering, winch & rotation
  • 2 x PF-L-motor: Boom lift, boom extention, Boom extention can propably be done with M-motor as well (not tested yet)
  • 2 battery-boxes, both can be standard AA-boxes, but I'm using 1 x 8878
  • Double metal hook

20130804152419989_800x600.jpg

20130804152525896_800x600.jpg

Edited by Jurgen Krooshoop

Well it may need some better wheels and 3 more diffs....would that still count as a alternative?

Perhaps we could do it as a joint venture? :wink:

Jurgen, is it possible, to take the new servo for the steering? I think, without centersteering it was often very difficult to drive forward.

Really nice modification Jurgen. Looking forward to instructions

Edited by Blakbird
: Removed large quoted images

Well it may need some better wheels and 3 more diffs....would that still count as a alternative? Perhaps we could do it as a joint venture? :wink:

That would't be a real alternative IMO, but could be very interresting though.

Jurgen, is it possible, to take the new servo for the steering? I think, without centersteering it was often very difficult to drive forward.

It propably is, but I chose an M-motor, so I could make the wheels turn slower, which looks more realistic. And it's still easy to controll.

Hi Jurgen,

I'm looking forward to the Ultimate 42009. At the moment I'm building the Ultimate 8043, but I've some problems with the instructions, it's not easy to follow all steps, I've made construction mistakes and have to start all over again. I plan to make new more detailed step-by-step instructions.

About the mobile crane: I've the 8421, and I've build the 8421 XL from Han's site. It would be great to combine the model with the 42009 and create an Ultimate XL 42009. ;)

Greetings

Alex

Hi Alex!

I`ve build Han`s 8421 XL two years ago. After I could optimized the steering, it was a great fun, to drive with this very long vehicle sharply corners. But the boom with the pneumatic-cylinders was still poorly. Although I used new cylinders, they were too weak.

And know, with the many possibilitys because of the PF`s - I prefer remote controlled models.

My idea behind the Ultimate 42009 is to make it look as much like the original 42009 as possible and to minimize the extra bricks required. 7 extra motors & 4 receivers are expensive enough....

Bricks of the 42009 were recycled as much as possible.

So I have no plans for an Ultimate 42009 XL, but feel free to make it yourself.

Hi Jurgen,

I'm looking forward to the Ultimate 42009. At the moment I'm building the Ultimate 8043, but I've some problems with the instructions, it's not easy to follow all steps, I've made construction mistakes and have to start all over again. I plan to make new more detailed step-by-step instructions.

About the mobile crane: I've the 8421, and I've build the 8421 XL from Han's site. It would be great to combine the model with the 42009 and create an Ultimate XL 42009. ;)

Greetings

Alex

Gidday Alex, i have both 8421 and Hans XL 8421 and really enjoyed Hans XL version as a build, but as you say its function in the boom movement is a bit problematic...but i still really love the model. But i for one would love to see a version you are talking about with the combination of the XL 42009 and would gladly pay for some instructions. I'm sure other technic heads out there would appreciate the effort also......so i reckon go ahead and thanks in advance, Pete.

Is there any easy way to change the outriggers so that they lift the model or is that not possible due to the weight.

I think the internal clutch of the mini-LA will slip before you will manage to lift the crane. Furthermore you will have problems with the stability of the LA itself.

@ maxxens

Having played with the crane a bit i think the problem is not the clutch of the mini-LAs. The outriggers double gear racks are not sturdy enough to carry the weight. They tend to bend a lot. I put 1 stud high "cushion plates" under them being extended to the max and the crane's wheels would barely leave the ground.

Edited by TinkerBrick

A weight problem just as i suspected. And if the goal is to keep the model mostly original then it's probable no use trying to strengthen the outriggers. I don't know if i will build Jurgens version or the original but i do know that i don't want too many other parts tied up in the set which probably will stay built for some time so the less new parts the better. Wow that was one long sentence. :blush:

You could have more LA's in the chassis lifting the model from within to make it LOOK like the outriggers are doing it

That's a great idea. Personally though i would prefer if gear racks were used because i have more of those and i think it would be stronger. I wonder if there is any room for this.

Hi Jurgen, I am anxiously awaiting your end result, or combined with the one Kladovec has, with all the motors etc. I have successfully built your 8043 Ultimate, with the controller, took me a while to go through all the pictures, but the end result is worth the effort. That, and the Truck 8x4 with Detachable Lowloader by Designer Han, which I collected from all corners of Europe eventually. I am really considering this 42009 crane, but I want to wait for the kinks that will be discovered over time, and resolved.

Instructions for the Ultimate 42009 are coming along ...

They will be of better quality that the instructions for the Ultimate 8043

upperstructure_-_1_800x600.jpg

example_1_800x600.jpg