Pleass let us post our thoughts on the 2h 2012 here.

Paul Boratko made a very interesting poinnt here:

LOL.. Yeah I know...

This Rock Crawler thing sounds interesting, but I can't see the release of this using the PF motors... There has to be something new.... These PF motors are worthless moving large vehicles for a given amount of time unless they are very very lightweight...

Could it be true?

Could we get some new PF-parts?

Come on great minds: Let start brainstorming! :laugh:

Edited by JunkstyleGio

Pleass let us post our thoughts on the 2h 2012 here.

Paul Boratko made a very interesting poinnt here:

Could it be true?

Could we get some new PF-parts?

Come on great minds: Let start brainstorming! :laugh:

This might be a very stupid question, but what are the 1H and 2H? :wacko:

@ Finntech:

Usually TLG comes each year with new sets in two waves; one in the time slot december tot march (1h) and one in the timeslot august-november (2h).

Capiche?

This might be a very stupid question, but what are the 1H and 2H? :wacko:

Technically it's First Half and Second Half. Just like Q1, Q2, Q3, Q4 for First Quarter, Second Quarter, etc.

I think that there are plenty of fine, low-speed "Rock Crawlers" that do just fine with Power Functions XL motors now; witness the LUGPol and BeLUG Trial Truck competitions. I think that the 1H2012 2012 Rock Crawler Technic set will utilize existing Power Functions elements and the Unimog U400 portal axle parts. Maybe one could buy two sets to make an 8x8 of some kind.

It IS possible, however, that TLG could introduce a Power Functions XXL motor.... :look:

Edited by DLuders

I think that there are plenty of fine, low-speed "Rock Crawlers" that do just fine with Power Functions XL motors now; witness the LUGPol and BeLUG Trial Truck competitions. I think that the 1H2012 Rock Crawler Technic set will utilize existing Power Functions elements and the Unimog U400 portal axle parts. Maybe one could buy two sets to make an 8x8 of some kind.

It IS possible, however, that TLG could introduce a Power Functions XXL motor.... :look:

Do mean 2h2012 rock crawler?I take it this will be next years flag ship!

I think that there are plenty of fine, low-speed "Rock Crawlers" that do just fine with Power Functions XL motors now; witness the LUGPol and BeLUG Trial Truck competitions. I think that the 1H2012 2012 Rock Crawler Technic set will utilize existing Power Functions elements and the Unimog U400 portal axle parts. Maybe one could buy two sets to make an 8x8 of some kind.

Some of the trial trucks those guys build are really amazing and very impressive, but the thing that makes me wonder though is if Lego will release something that they expect kids to take outside into the woods and drive over obstacles and expect the normal PF motors to hold up for a long length of time. I mean if this is a flagship set, I would expect it would have at least 1,500 parts, so it is going to be somewhat large as well...

I would also speculate that Lego will do extensive testing on this flagship to make sure that it doesn't have some unexpected failures out of the gate... :wink:

Edited by Paul Boratko

That's true. Many of the trail truck MOCs are awesome, but not suitable for an official release due to the strain on existing parts, especially motors, bevel gears, gearbox parts, ujs/cvjs and diffs.

That is a very good point allanp. I have watched many of those trial truck videos and noticed that many parts break, which is to be expected as you are basically pushing legos past their limitations. And as Paul said, the regular power functions motors won't last long under even moderate strain. Hard to see TLC releasing something that could have potential problems.

You call something a "rock crawler" and you RC it, then you better expect that people will try to do just that, try to crawl over rocks.

You call something a "rock crawler" and you RC it, then you better expect that people will try to do just that, try to crawl over rocks.

Just like the 8043 excavator that you can't take to the sand pit or in my case one of the many beaches around the Western Isles :sceptic:

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

That's true. Many of the trail truck MOCs are awesome, but not suitable for an official release due to the strain on existing parts, especially motors, bevel gears, gearbox parts, ujs/cvjs and diffs.

That is exactly why I don't expect to see an XXL motor. The XL motor is already capable of destroying LEGO parts, so an XXL motor would be guaranteed to do so. The system just can't take any more torque. The only way a large model can be motorized is to be very slow. But that's exactly what a rock crawler can be!

My reasons to doubt about an eventual Rock Crawler flagship... :tongue:

LEGO models are intended to be played by the consumers (children or not so children anymore).

I believe that LEGO Technic consumers play with their models indoors and I assume TLG has the same understanding. I could even speculate that well above 90% of the consumers won't put a $200 flagship running outdoor, over rocks, etc...

Thus what's the point of making a large and motorized Rock Crawler as a flagship? Who will play with it and where? Think about at least tenths of thousands of consumers of such set...

I'd however admit TLG could think to develop a model of this kind, in a small scale and not motorized. But even this, looks quite unlikely...

That is exactly why I don't expect to see an XXL motor. The XL motor is already capable of destroying LEGO parts, so an XXL motor would be guaranteed to do so. The system just can't take any more torque. The only way a large model can be motorized is to be very slow. But that's exactly what a rock crawler can be!

How many battery boxes would required to power such hypothetical XXL? :wacko:

Even if it would be one, certainly you couldn't power anything else from this...

TLG, please bring a PF-S motor instead!... :classic:

My reasons to doubt about an eventual Rock Crawler flagship... :tongue:

LEGO models are intended to be played by the consumers (children or not so children anymore).

I believe that LEGO Technic consumers play with their models indoors and I assume TLG has the same understanding. I could even speculate that well above 90% of the consumers won't put a $200 flagship running outdoor, over rocks, etc...

Thus what's the point of making a large and motorized Rock Crawler as a flagship? Who will play with it and where? Think about at least tenths of thousands of consumers of such set...

I'd however admit TLG could think to develop a model of this kind, in a small scale and not motorized. But even this, looks quite unlikely...

How many battery boxes would required to power such hypothetical XXL? :wacko:

Even if it would be one, certainly you couldn't power anything else from this...

TLG, please bring a PF-S motor instead!... :classic

So is this rock crawler a myth or do u think we might get a different flagship?

I think it is nothing more than a wild guess, for the moment. In three/four months we will see...

Thanks conchas and it's nice to see u posting on here too :)

Does this rock crawler have to be RC? Maybe we will have a rock crawler that isn't RC? Something along the lines of 8297 or 8466? Since we are referring to this as a "rock crawler" and not an "off-roader", I would tend to think we may see something like 8466, but with axles similar to the Unimog instead of the independent suspension. It could have a 5 or 6 speed transmission, 2 speed transfer case with center differential, V8 engine, and maybe even locking differentials. And, since LEGO likes motorized stuff, they could add a motorized winch, retractable steps, etc.

I'd be really happy with something like that.

I don't see anything larger than an XL motor. I have broken gears with XL motors, and even m motors, so I don't see anything larger, unless LEGO starts producing metal parts. I'd like to see a small motor with a self centering mechanism and built in clutch. It would be perfect for steering and moving pneumatic valves.

Just my thoughts. :grin:

A 180€/$ rock crawler ? I doubt it.

Actually, it would be some kind of TT.

A TT need 4 wheels, 1 XL motor, 1 M motor, 1 BB, 1 IR receiver, and about 1000 parts.

These parts can not make a 180€/$ set, IMO. o_O

A TT need 4 wheels, 1 XL motor, 1 M motor, 1 BB, 1 IR receiver, and about 1000 parts.

That is the minimum. It can be extended with other functions.

But a good TT does not have any other function.