Sign in to follow this  
the enigma that is badger

BrickArms Musket Prototype

Another exciting development from BrickArms that Pirate fans should find particularly interesting: the BrickArms Musket!

4304990405_5ac508cec5.jpg

4304990355_013296d9f7.jpg

One thing worth noting about this prototype: it's solid metal! With how busy Will's been with other projects, he's been exploring other fun methods of testing out new BrickArms accessory designs he's cooked up. For the BrickArms Musket, he used a type of 3D printing that fuses small pieces of metal together to form a solid metal accessory. It has great resolution, capturing each detail beautifully, and you'd swear it was solid casted-metal!

And yes, with a forestock that's grippable from trigger to barrel, it's a perfect match for the BrickArms Bayonet!

4304990455_9a9c512775.jpg

4305733008_6c6e872c9f.jpg

Naturally, Pirate fans will probably find this accessory most interesting, but with a fully-grippable forestock, all kinds of modifications are possible to create a distinctive piece of weaponry. Here, I've added the barrel magazine from a BrickArms PPSh and a BrickArms Glaive to create a steampunk-style long rifle:

4304990549_5401015495.jpg

Enjoy!

MAJOR UPDATE: Will has now cut a prototype mold for the BrickArms Musket, and I was happy to unveil the updated version of this great item at Brickfair 2010!:

4865400568_edab5b5b80.jpg

4865400624_dbd5c74705.jpg

4864781587_6edd65e5c4.jpg

And yes, that barrel is 100% grippable. This allows for all sorts of neat customization and modding:

4864781559_6ff5eb9a85.jpg

Edited by the enigma that is badger

Goodness, that's just awesome. Thanks for the news Badger, that is one neat weapon, and I am loving the metallic look to it, very cool. I look forward to it being available so we can get a good look at it. :sweet:

That's pretty darn sweet, I must say!

Can the bayonet go on the side? As that is where, in many cases, the bayonet belongs and not on the bottom.

Looks like a percussion cap musket rather than a flintlock one (developed around the 1840s).

I love the metal look! Amazing details, indeed!

Wow, I'm positive this is going to make quite an impact on the Pirates community. And with the attachable bayonet, this is even more amazing. Although, I'm not suprised that Will came out with such an excellent new prototype; BrickArms' weapons, regardless of mass release or prototype phase, just keep getting better and better. Now I'm excited! :sweet:

Can the bayonet go on the side? As that is where, in many cases, the bayonet belongs and not on the bottom.

It stresses the U-Clip a bit, but yes, you can mount a BA Bayonet from the side as well!

Looks like a percussion cap musket rather than a flintlock one (developed around the 1840s).

For maximum versatility, Will based this accessory on a number of different muskets, notably the classic Brown Bess and the Springfield M1861. Given the level of abstraction of the minifig accessory aesthetic, this accessory should end up being useful for any type of musket, flintlock or percussion cap. The key detail, the hammer, is actually a detail Will is still working on, and he does currently plan on a design that would work well for any type of musket and is possible with the types of molding using to create BrickArms accessories.

This is a very interesting prototype! Once it becomes a product I can guarantee I'll buy a bunch of these. This was really a big gap in the arsenal of weapons available to us LEGO Pirates fans as became obvious from our part request thread.

Wow, this is indeed a top class item. I can't stop looking at how detailed it is, especially in the lock, trigger and breech area :pir-wub:

LuxorV

An excellent prototype, I do wonder though as it was made with a diffrent method than the normal acessories will it be possible to get the same look from the ABS plastic?

An excellent prototype, I do wonder though as it was made with a diffrent method than the normal acessories will it be possible to get the same look from the ABS plastic?

I guess it's just the prototype. The metal doesn't make it look very Lego-like. Any idea what colors it will be available in? The design is excellent by the way! :pir-sweet: And indeed... Pirates could do with one or two more weapon designs. Fingers crossed for 2011.

First off, AMAZING WORK!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!! :pir_laugh2:

I guess it's just the prototype. The metal doesn't make it look very Lego-like. Any idea what colors it will be available in? The design is excellent by the way! :pir-sweet: And indeed... Pirates could do with one or two more weapon designs. Fingers crossed for 2011.

I agree that the metal is amazing in detail, but it looks out of place. I would like to see it in a brown.

Also what is the estimated price?

Very nice, but I agree with everyone else who has said - brown would be the way to go ! :pir-classic:

I wonder if they do or have done any WWI weapons ?

I'm a conformist! ! :pir-classic:

That is one very well proportioned weapon! It definitely holds well in both hands of a minifig. Will surely by now a virtuosos of the mini-figure.

Glad to see so many of you guys like this one! A musket has been on my "dream" list of accessories I'd love to see Will try his hand at for years now, and I have to say, this is easily one of my personally favorite prototypes Will has recently developed. As I'm sure many of you can relat, while the TLG blunderbuss is a nice accessory, I just never felt it suited the role of a classic musket rifle that well.

I do wonder though as it was made with a diffrent method than the normal acessories will it be possible to get the same look from the ABS plastic?
I guess it's just the prototype. The metal doesn't make it look very Lego-like. Any idea what colors it will be available in?

As I said in the first post, this is just a fun experiment to test the quality of 3D printing of metal of Will's designs. Will has no plans to pursue metal accessories, and this prototype is just to test the design to ensure this design up the high standards Will knows builders have come to expect from BrickArms when it comes to detailing and playability.

If and when the BA Musket is mass produced, rest assured it will be available in the same high-quality ABS that all current BrickArms products are produced in!

In terms of color, brown is certainly one that's a must for this accessory, and like the BrickArms M1 Garand, Lee-Enfield, and Baseball show, Will's molder has perfectly matched LEGO red-brown. When you're able to equip your armies with the BA Musket, it will blend seamlessly into your minifig accessory collection.

Other colors are also certainly an option as well; I'm personally looking forward to seeing this item in Gunmetal, which should replicate the metal-look of this prototype quite nicely and be perfect for non-Pirates building (scifi, steampunk, etc)!

I wonder if they do or have done any WWI weapons ?

Several!

Currently in production:

Lewis Gun

Lee-Enfield SMLE

C96 Mauser

In prototype:

BAR

Brodie Helmet

P08 Luger

M1917 Revolver (perfect for several different WWI-era revolvers)

Wow, this is incredible! Brick arms has certainly done it again, and I can't wait to buy a number of these beauties for my lego Marines!

Edited by Fires-storm

These are amazing! briackarms never fails us.

This deserves a spot on classic-pirates.com!

blogged.png

VERY SWEET!

I look forward to the release of these. It will make some special forces groups a lot more fun. Such as marines, riflemen, etc...

-martinsuper

Honestly, I can't understand why everybody goes for a more and more realistic look.

Lego isn't meant to look that realistic! Its style is simplified, innovative and original - and that's how it should be!

Lego is supposed to look nice... not real!

Minifigs - they don't look look like real humans, do they? So why should their weapons be that realistic?

Just my opinion.

funkybrick

Honestly, I can't understand why everybody goes for a more and more realistic look.

Agreed, but this doesn't look TOO realistic to me. It's only a little more detailed than this Lego riffle. Usually Brickarms manages to strike more or less the right balance.

I agree with Martinsuper here, I think BrickArms makes fantastic customs. :pir-classic:

The musket will be a great addition to armies, no doubt on that!

Great job on customizing BrickArms! :thumbup:

Lego isn't meant to look that realistic! Its style is simplified, innovative and original - and that's how it should be!

Lego is supposed to look nice... not real!

Minifigs - they don't look look like real humans, do they? So why should their weapons be that realistic?

Just my opinion.

funkybrick

I have to agree with funkybrick on this one. Some of the parts of this weapon seem like they're molded too small, creating un-LEGO-like details. I'm glad this is going to come in many colors.