I don't think we have a dedicated photography thread here in the Technic section, or at least I couldn't find one - my apologies if I missed it. I finished building the BBV (Big Bad Volvo) last night and this morning I thought the light was pretty nice at our solarium for a quick shot:

Technic_Volvo_1.jpg

Awesome set, by the way. So, what have you got to show?

When I saw the Volvo photo I though that it's real... :)

Nice picture... :)

Max...

Edited by MaxSupercars

I've been doing lots of new photos for Technicopedia lately. I have greatly improved the quality over the old photos even though I am using the same camera. My original setup was just a white bookshelf and use of a large speedlight (flash) attached to my camera. The results were acceptable but there were harsh shadows and the background was not smooth. My new process uses a table covered in white paper with a white fiberboard backdrop and fully manual camera settings. I am shooting at f16 to give me a small aperture and large depth of field. I am using a shutter speed of 1/20th sec. This is slow enough to require a tripod. With these fixed settings, I get consistent results with no need to worry about the light metering on board to camera reacting differently to different colored models. Afterward, I crop the image, adjust the white point, and sharpen the image in Photoshop. The process is more labor intensive than the process of doing nothing that I used before, but I think the results are easily worth it.

853isosmall.jpg854isosmall.jpg

8860isosmall.jpg8859isosmall.jpg

8851isosmall.jpg8862isosmall.jpg

8868isosmall.jpg8480isosmall.jpg

There are tons of good photography in this Technic forum, what do you want in this thread exactly?

I thought of starting one for "gorgeous photos you'd put up on your wall", inspired by Lucio's idea of having a slideshow in a digital picture frame.

I'm personally fond on outside shots, like VKTechnic's mustang or your opening shot here. In these, natural light plays an important role.

Anyway, here's mine (BMW R-12):

14960003805_fff3e47200_b.jpg

When I saw the Volvo photo I though that it's real... :)

Thanx Max! It was supposed to be only a "model shot", but it did come out quite lively :blush:.

nice pic of the volvo

Thank you!

The process is more labor intensive than the process of doing nothing that I used before, but I think the results are easily worth it.

Fantastic shots, Blackbird! :thumbup: Those are what I would call "documentary shots" - the best way to show a model, specially if you want to document it like for a review. Back in the day, when I was deeply into 1:18 diecast cars, I had a big website where I made quasi-technical reviews of the models. At the time I did the whole enchilada to photograph them, using a light box, at least two light sources, infinite background, tripod, etc, etc. The results (as you have shown) were fantastic, but the whole photography process became a chore, something I started dreading every time I got a new item for my collection. For other reasons I ended up selling my whole 250+ cars collection and a couple of years later I got back into Lego. I really like photography but I came to realize that the shot I most like to make are those "simple" shots, where you see something that you think will look good in a photograph. So nowadays I rather grab a model and just shoot it using ambient light, to keep things quick and simple :classic: .

There are tons of good photography in this Technic forum, what do you want in this thread exactly?

Maybe he wanted some place to put up photos that aren't MOCs or set reviews. There is something similar in the other forums like Star Wars. :classic:

Exactamondo :wink:. And BTW, that beemer looks AWESOME.

here is a few of mine I only use a camera phone and paint so don't expect too much!!

8288%2Blego%2Btechnic%2Bcrawler%2Bcrane.JPGhobby%2Btractor%2B2.jpgunimog%2Brock%2Bcrawler%2B4_Edited.JPG

Edited by gti180

I'm personally fond on outside shots, In these, natural light plays an important role.

I completely agree with you! Here are a couple of mine

15628149345_65f112bceb_z.jpg

15282885696_3b046543cd_z.jpg

14519347489_95d537a29e_z.jpg

We do have a topic about photography, but that's more about techniques, photo studios, cameras, etc. Wasn't sure whether we need a topic like this, but being fan of decent pictures myself....why not!

Here are two of my personal favorites.

14906174550_8b4bc928e0_b.jpg

15634032585_2584cdc139_b.jpg

Wow Jim, those are some beautiful photos.

The best I could do (both taken with natural light):

001.jpg

011.jpg

15634032585_2584cdc139_b.jpg

I'd love to see an good outdoor shot of this one. So much I might try one day :)

Exactamondo :wink:. And BTW, that beemer looks AWESOME.

Got it. Thanks! Some more here :classic:

I completely agree with you! Here are a couple of mine

15628149345_65f112bceb_z.jpg

That's what I'm talking about! Natural light, low sun for better textures, low angle of view for a more dominant subject... and of course a very nice model :sweet:

For outdoor shots, I like pictures that make scale models look full size. This one by Holger Matthes is one of my favorites.

800x600.jpg

I have quite poor camera and it's only luck if any of my photos ever is good, but I kind of like this one:

0qzKpMf.jpg

For outdoor shots, I like pictures that make scale models look full size. This one by Holger Matthes is one of my favorites.

800x600.jpg

@Blakbird: That MOC is already huge in itself. Photographing it against such a background is surely befitting. I've been wanting to build a BWE for a while (BWE = Bucket Wheel Excavator). To me, it's the ultimate construction (or excavation) piece of machinery. Maybe that, and a TBM (Tunnel Boring Machine). I was opting for smaller buckets though, such as those in the Mars Mission Crystal Reaper.

51PJnr43JeL.jpg

Edited by DrJB

@therealjustin Great shots! I really like the effects.

This is funny... I am currently working on a whole post for MOCpages.com that will go into the "general" forum, b/c not all of my builds are Technic, talking about the importance of good photos. I am still a relatively new builder, taking on the hobby around 2012-2013, and looking back through my pages I have some pretty bad images (which I am rectifying). It is funny how the hobby is evolving for me, from "oh I don't care about good photos, I just want to build!" to spending hords of time recently to redoing all of my old photos.... and actually really enjoying doing so.

Until the whole page is finished however, here are some outdoor shots of my pneumatic Unimog getting dirty.....14253495143_DISPLAY.jpg14253495156_DISPLAY.jpg.......and other stuff...1377567579m_DISPLAY.jpg

....and no worries....despite what it looks like no LEGO were damaged in the Unimog photos...it actually climbed right out of the mud no problem. If anything was harmed at all it was the monsterous third-party RC tires.....More details at http://mocpages.com/moc.php/407959 14253489751_DISPLAY.jpg

Edited by nerdsforprez