Jump to content


Ironclad CSS Virginia


  • Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic  – Started by Bonaparte , Aug 24 2006 10:42 PM

#1 Bonaparte

Bonaparte
  • Christmas Moose


    Posts: 14384
    Joined: 22-June 06
    Member: 822
    Country: Belgium

Posted 24 August 2006 - 10:42 PM

Posted Image 16c

Posted Image

Suppose this ironclad would fall into the hands of some pirates ... .
They could really kick some ... and destroy those wooden ships :-).
This is a ship that I build about 15 years ago (and I still have it).
However, the gundeck has been redesigned about 5 years ago.
It is a replica of the confederate ironclad CSS Virginia.
Don't pay to much attention on the colors, the Klingon flag and the Union crew  :-/  
I had to build it with the bricks I had at the time.

http://www.brickshel...ac/pict0104.jpg
http://www.brickshel...ac/pict0141.jpg
http://www.brickshel...ac/pict0142.jpg
http://www.brickshel...ac/pict0143.jpg
http://www.brickshel...ac/pict0152.jpg
http://www.brickshel...ac/pict0145.jpg
http://www.brickshel...ac/pict0147.jpg
http://www.brickshel...ac/pict0148.jpg
http://www.brickshel...ac/pict0149.jpg

B.

Want to find out more about our Reviewers Academy? Just click the logo.



Posted Image



New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here



Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide






#2 Khorne

Khorne
  • I will not torment the emotionally frail - Nevermind


    Posts: 2802
    Joined: 27-March 05
    Member: 284
    Country: Flanders

Posted 25 August 2006 - 07:38 AM

Wow! That's an awesome ironclad you got there. Too bad that it's in red otherwhise it would've been even cooler. I love all the details you put in. Great job!

flickr | brickshelf | Holmgang Wiki


Playing as Eric in Heroica RPG
Posted Image


#3 Mister Phes

Mister Phes
  • Uncle Sam edit!


    Posts: 20240
    Joined: 19-March 05
    Member: 273

Posted 25 August 2006 - 07:50 AM

Posted Image

Its a floating circus tent!


Posted Image


#4 SkaForHire

SkaForHire
  • Historica's Fortune Teller


    Posts: 2065
    Joined: 04-May 06
    Member: 759
    Country: USA

Posted 25 August 2006 - 06:52 PM

View PostMister Phes, on Aug 25 2006, 03:50 AM, said:

Posted Image

Its a floating circus tent!


wasn't the visible part of the ship rust red, because it was made of old railroad track..... so the colors may be closer then we think
D.L.T.B.G.Y.D.  Flickr Feed

Dugal MacLean of the Kaliphlin Guild ~ "GEAR Up with GEAR CO supplies."


Posted Image   Posted Image Posted Image
Triumphal Arch of Petraea ... | ....   Devil's Island   ...... | ........    Rakath Mountain Ritual

#5 Deinonychus

Deinonychus
  • Civil Rights Activist


    Posts: 1376
    Joined: 25-October 05
    Member: 518
    Country: United States

Posted 25 August 2006 - 09:16 PM

Very Cool!   *y*

It's nice seeing the Virginia rendered in brick form Posted Image

Posted Image


#6 Evil Willy

Evil Willy
  • Mini Phes


    Posts: 975
    Joined: 04-December 05
    Member: 563
    Country: Canada

Posted 27 August 2006 - 04:18 AM

I really like this MOC, good job!

#7 Berry Syedow

Berry Syedow
  • *Amen*


    Posts: 693
    Joined: 05-February 06
    Member: 653
    Country: U.S.A.

Posted 27 August 2006 - 07:30 AM

Ah, bonaparte, you know your stuff!  The ship's design is great.  I'm loving the interior; it adds a lot to this MOC.  I feel sorry for the poor laddies without pillows to sleep on. :-(  My only suggestion for future reference is to dust off old displays before photographing them.  ;-)  Good work, mate!

#8 Mister Phes

Mister Phes
  • Uncle Sam edit!


    Posts: 20240
    Joined: 19-March 05
    Member: 273

Posted 03 September 2006 - 10:31 AM

View PostSkaForHire, on Aug 26 2006, 04:52 AM, said:

wasn't the visible part of the ship rust red, because it was made of old railroad track..... so the colors may be closer then we think


You could have a good point here, I haven't actually seen a replica or preserved authentic ironclad before so I don't know what colours they really are.  I've gone a quick Google image search and come up with this...


Posted Image
Vicksburg, MS : USS Cairo, a Civil War Ironclad that has been restored and is on display at the Vicksburg Military Park

Aside from that there are these...

Posted Image

Posted Image


Posted Image


#9 Bonaparte

Bonaparte
  • Christmas Moose


    Posts: 14384
    Joined: 22-June 06
    Member: 822
    Country: Belgium

Posted 03 September 2006 - 06:37 PM

I guess my original pics didn't give the right view of the ship as it would be seen at sea.

That's how the ship looks like when it's at sea:
Posted Image
The cannon in front and at the back can be turned.

This is a picure of the real CSS Virginia:
Posted Image

Want to find out more about our Reviewers Academy? Just click the logo.



Posted Image



New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here



Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide






#10 Berry Syedow

Berry Syedow
  • *Amen*


    Posts: 693
    Joined: 05-February 06
    Member: 653
    Country: U.S.A.

Posted 03 September 2006 - 10:14 PM

View Postbonaparte, on Sep 3 2006, 11:37 AM, said:

I guess my original pics didn't give the right view of the ship as it would be seen at sea.

That's how the ship looks like when it's at sea:
Posted Image
The cannon in front and at the back can be turned.

This is a picure of the real CSS Virginia:
Posted Image
Very interesting, Mr. Bonaparte.  I can't help but see a resemblence between the official Sail Barge and the top of the CSS Virginia posted above.  Perhaps a rebuild is in order?  ;-)

Posted Image

Considering the depth the hull sunk into the water, were there any incidents of flooding?

#11 Mister Phes

Mister Phes
  • Uncle Sam edit!


    Posts: 20240
    Joined: 19-March 05
    Member: 273

Posted 06 September 2006 - 09:44 AM

To me they look as though they could be predecessors of the submarine because they remind me of U Boats.

Posted Image


Posted Image


#12 Captain Ironhook

Captain Ironhook

    Posts: 207
    Joined: 13-April 06
    Member: 727

Posted 14 September 2006 - 02:24 PM

View PostBerry Syedow, on Sep 3 2006, 06:14 PM, said:

View Postbonaparte, on Sep 3 2006, 11:37 AM, said:


That's how the ship looks like when it's at sea:
Posted Image
The cannon in front and at the back can be turned.

This is a picure of the real CSS Virginia:
Posted Image
Very interesting, Mr. Bonaparte.  I can't help but see a resemblence between the official Sail Barge and the top of the CSS Virginia posted above.  Perhaps a rebuild is in order?  ;-)

Posted Image


Maybe someone with this sail barge could attempt to make an ironclad from this sailbarge. ok so who has a sailbarge?
LEGO!

#13 Bonaparte

Bonaparte
  • Christmas Moose


    Posts: 14384
    Joined: 22-June 06
    Member: 822
    Country: Belgium

Posted 16 September 2006 - 04:14 PM

View PostCaptain Ironhook, on Sep 14 2006, 02:24 PM, said:

View PostBerry Syedow, on Sep 3 2006, 06:14 PM, said:

View Postbonaparte, on Sep 3 2006, 11:37 AM, said:


That's how the ship looks like when it's at sea:
Posted Image
The cannon in front and at the back can be turned.

This is a picure of the real CSS Virginia:
Posted Image
Very interesting, Mr. Bonaparte.  I can't help but see a resemblence between the official Sail Barge and the top of the CSS Virginia posted above.  Perhaps a rebuild is in order?  ;-)

Posted Image


Maybe someone with this sail barge could attempt to make an ironclad from this sailbarge. ok so who has a sailbarge?

I'm going to buy a sail barge because I really like the set (has great pieces and figs) but I don't think I'll sacrifice it to build another ironclad.

I also have build the USS Monitor. Will try to make some pictures soon and put them on the forum.
This is a picture of the real monitor:
Posted Image


B.

Want to find out more about our Reviewers Academy? Just click the logo.



Posted Image



New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here



Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide






#14 Berry Syedow

Berry Syedow
  • *Amen*


    Posts: 693
    Joined: 05-February 06
    Member: 653
    Country: U.S.A.

Posted 16 September 2006 - 09:40 PM

View PostMister Phes, on Sep 6 2006, 02:44 AM, said:

To me they look as though they could be predecessors of the submarine because they remind me of U Boats.
Aye, very much so.

View Postbonaparte, on Sep 16 2006, 09:14 AM, said:

I'm going to buy a sail barge because I really like the set (has great pieces and figs) but I don't think I'll sacrifice it to build another ironclad.

I also have build the USS Monitor. Will try to make some pictures soon and put them on the forum.
This is a picture of the real monitor:
Posted Image
Very well, Mr. Bonaparte.  I hope someone eventually has the heart to dismantle the set and MOC it.  It just goes to show how much of a testimony this set is in terms of design and quality to TLC.

The USS Monitor is certainly interesting, now we just need those MOC pictures...

#15 Mister Phes

Mister Phes
  • Uncle Sam edit!


    Posts: 20240
    Joined: 19-March 05
    Member: 273

Posted 24 September 2006 - 04:56 AM

I don't own the Sail Barge (I saw one in a toy store the other day it is wa rather expensive) so I have no aprehension in saying I'd gladly tear one apart to make a Pirate MOC from it.  Or still, I'd take the useful pieces straight from the box and not bother building it into the Sail Barge in the first place!


Posted Image


#16 Captain Ironhook

Captain Ironhook

    Posts: 207
    Joined: 13-April 06
    Member: 727

Posted 29 September 2006 - 06:33 AM

View Postbonaparte, on Sep 16 2006, 12:14 PM, said:

I also have build the USS Monitor. Will try to make some pictures soon and put them on the forum.
This is a picture of the real monitor:
Posted Image


B.


To me this ship looks to be sunk !!
LEGO!

#17 Bonaparte

Bonaparte
  • Christmas Moose


    Posts: 14384
    Joined: 22-June 06
    Member: 822
    Country: Belgium

Posted 29 September 2006 - 07:32 AM

View PostCaptain Ironhook, on Sep 29 2006, 06:33 AM, said:

View Postbonaparte, on Sep 16 2006, 12:14 PM, said:



I also have build the USS Monitor. Will try to make some pictures soon and put them on the forum.
This is a picture of the real monitor:
Posted Image


B.


To me this ship looks to be sunk !!

That's because 90% of the US Monitor was actually under water.
Since torpedo's where not really effective during the civil war, the ship was quite protected (specially from canons).
Eventualy the monitor did sink in a storm...
I'll try to make some pictures of my MOC soon.

Want to find out more about our Reviewers Academy? Just click the logo.



Posted Image



New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here



Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide






#18 Mister Phes

Mister Phes
  • Uncle Sam edit!


    Posts: 20240
    Joined: 19-March 05
    Member: 273

Posted 29 September 2006 - 12:02 PM

What's happening in your "room" Emperor Bonaparte?  Have you constructed more ironclads since the beginning of this thread?

It would be interesting to see the beginnings of ironclads because I imagine the first would be normal tall ships with extra cladding then over time they evolved to what's seen in the pictures in this thread.

Here's a Civilization Ironclad which was where I was first exposed to them...


Here's Bonepart's first Ironclad which started this discussion...

Posted Image


Posted Image


Posted Image


#19 Bonaparte

Bonaparte
  • Christmas Moose


    Posts: 14384
    Joined: 22-June 06
    Member: 822
    Country: Belgium

Posted 29 September 2006 - 01:09 PM

View PostMister Phes, on Sep 29 2006, 12:02 PM, said:

What's happening in your "room" Emperor Bonaparte?  Have you constructed more ironclads since the beginning of this thread?

It would be interesting to see the beginnings of ironclads because I imagine the first would be normal tall ships with extra cladding then over time they evolved to what's seen in the pictures in this thread.

Here's a Civilization Ironclad which was where I was first exposed to them...


Here's Bonepart's first Ironclad which started this discussion...

Posted Image


Posted Image

I didn't construct a new ironclad recently.
I build the CSS Virginia a long time ago.
And I have build the US Monitor about 5-6 years ago.
But I have no good pictures of the US Monitor so I intend to make some soon and create another thread.
But you are right about the fact that a lot of ironclads (especially from the C.S.A.) were originaly normal ships.
The CSS Virginia was a steamer/sailship (US Merrimac) before it was burned by the Yankees.
However, the hull of the ship was undamaged and the Confederates made it into the CSS Virginia.
Since the hull was completely under water, the ship look like this once at sea:
Posted Image

Manouvering such a heavy ship (with all the steel) was quite difficult.

Want to find out more about our Reviewers Academy? Just click the logo.



Posted Image



New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here



Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide






#20 Mister Phes

Mister Phes
  • Uncle Sam edit!


    Posts: 20240
    Joined: 19-March 05
    Member: 273

Posted 29 September 2006 - 01:17 PM

Yes, heavy ships would be difficult enough to manouver as it was, however if the bulk of the hull was also submerged that would make it even more difficult.

I don't suppose anyone has come across any pictures of early Ironclads so we can see how they started out?


Posted Image


#21 Bonaparte

Bonaparte
  • Christmas Moose


    Posts: 14384
    Joined: 22-June 06
    Member: 822
    Country: Belgium

Posted 29 September 2006 - 08:10 PM

View PostMister Phes, on Sep 29 2006, 01:17 PM, said:

Yes, heavy ships would be difficult enough to manouver as it was, however if the bulk of the hull was also submerged that would make it even more difficult.

I don't suppose anyone has come across any pictures of early Ironclads so we can see how they started out?

Actually I think the US Monitor and CSS Viginia are the 2 first ironclads.
For sure in the US (and civil war).

Want to find out more about our Reviewers Academy? Just click the logo.



Posted Image



New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here



Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide









1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored Links