13 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• 1 - Poor
    • 2 - Below Average
    • 3 - Average
    • 4 - Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding

INDEXED

The year was 1996, stuff happened. I wasn't aware of much of this as I was eight years old and eight year olds are not known for their grasp of current events. However one thing I do remember about that year is this set: 6625-1 Speed Trackers. When I was a small child the summer holiday was punctuated by two events, our holiday in Devon and Nana taking us shopping for a present. That year I had four Lego sets (money was always tight when I was younger, explains my appreciation for clone brands) and Speed Trackers was the largest. I went shopping with Nana and this was the set I chose, I remember building it and playing with it and basking in the decadence that was a set with two Lego people and a motorcycle!

Well, enough of that, on to the review!

speed_trackers_box.jpg

Here is a photo of the box, courtesy of Bricklink. It was a mid-small sized set comparable to 7236-1 Police Car with only six pieces less. I believe it came in a single polybag but don't quote me on that. There was a sticker sheet and an instruction sheet.

speed_trackers_instruct.jpg_thumb.jpg

This is a side of the instruction sheet, thanks to peeron (full instructions) . Two sides of instructions with nice clear steps. Again, I can't say how long it took me to build it, thirteen years is a long time to remember back to pre double digits...

speed_trackers.jpg

The Built Set. A car with lift up canopy, traffic cone and the all purpose megaphone/torch/blaster here appearing as a speed gun. The motorcycle with dual panniers printed with Police, front headlight and blue light at the back. The classic motorcycle really is classic, comparable to vintage motorcycles IRL. Unfortunately the stickers are missing, as two were stuck over two parts and the glue died on the sticker applied to the slope.

speed_trackers4.jpg_thumb.jpg 2513.gif

Interesting parts: The motorcycle of course and the wheel welled 4x4 slope, useless for anything but a 4 wide car but very 90s town. (Slope image via Bricklink).

speed_trackers5.jpg

Our two brave officers of the law, clad in the police uniform of the 90s town, the best in my opinion and with identical heads (I call that head Bob, therefore all figures with that head are Bob, I had about six Bobs growing up). A helmet for safety for our motorcyclist and a stylish brown hairdo for the officer in the car.

In all, this set is a good one, the design is typical of the time and would be a perfect addition to any 90s town plan or a fan of 4 wide cars collecting. It has a great amount of play value, giving me years of play, the motorcycle being a vital part in many a game and the chosen mode of transport to my favoured created characters.

I hope this review was useful to you all, especially those who missed the 90s to their dark ages and those few who weren't old enough to play with Lego System.

What a cute set and a car with a cockpit style opening roof really cute. :wub:

Some might say the good old days, pre-the-dark-times (TownJr) and I must say they must have clone police if they all look the same.

Thank you 'Peppermint_M' for a nice review back in time. :sweet:

Thanks for the pics, I love seeing old sets.

How fugly is that car though, the windshield is practically the whole thing. :laugh:

I have this one. The car design looks a bit strange today, but it's fully enclosed and I liked it better than most of the other, standard cars from that time period.

Nice review. It's a neat set that I didn't care for much back then (wasn't really into the Rescue themes) but would like to have now. There was a yellow car released of a very similar design as the Police car. I didn't realize there were clips on the back for the speed gun. Shame about your stickers; those old textured slopes are about the worst things ever for long-term sticker preservation, even more so than STAMPs.

That particular slope is actually not textured, and is one of the few slopes like that. The police car in 6398 also uses the slope with the same sticker.

The other car you mentioned is this one:

6530-1.jpg

The other car you mentioned is this one:

Yep, that's it. Very similar, but the wheelbase and tail lights are different. Still neat to see some uniformity in the designs.

Yeah, the older stickers are a bit of a problem. I took them off the sides pretty quickly but I was very cross when I started sorting my Lego and found the slope without a sticker and one very glueless sticker at the bottom of the box...

It really was one of my best sets for years and taught me how to build 4 wide cars. :thumbup:

Outstanding. I had this one...1996 - 1997 were the last years I had LEGOs. Then came my dark ages!

I really loved the Police theme when I was a kid and I think I had almost every set. My parents were very accommodating, bless them.

I remember having several 6522-Highway Patrol sets with those [fantastic!] motorcycles. I also had a 6430 Night Patroller that had flashing ( or glowing? I can't recall - maybe it was depending on how you flipped the brick) lights. I had some sort of Police Station and...many more that I can't remember now. I 'm afraid to go on Bricklink and start browsing because I'll take a trip down long lost memory lane and will want to buy buy buy.

Thanks for your review! This one brought back plenty of warm memories.