Zerobricks

[KEY TOPIC] LDD 3 bugs and brick errors

Here is what i found while using LDD. I have tricks for connecting beams at angles, simple simulations of multi link system and a scissor lift, various colision and hinge aligning bugs, manually aligning bricks when hinge align tool fails and more. Check the description for table of contents.

Here is the second part, concentrating more on studded bricks. There are clips from making circles, non-flat walls, plate rings and more...

Edited by Zblj

Here is the second part, concentrating more on studded bricks. There are clips from making circles, non-flat walls, plate rings and more...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLjgXOfiA0E

Hi. Firstly, I must say I very much enjoy your videos.

However (and I hate to be the one regulating this), to quote Super Kalle:

Please do NOT re-post that information on the internet, on this forum or any other forum. Instead, link to this post so that others can activate LU-mode.

I think he might appreciate it if you posted an edited video with a link instead? :classic: The link he is referring to is: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=40794

Okay, i am already cutting the start of the video. Sorry for the mistake.

EDIT new video:

Edited by Zblj

@superkalle : thanks for sharing this information with us (LDD LU Mode)!

@Zblj : very good stuff. I've seen some technics I could not imagine !

Are still missing pneums, differentials, some technic (studless) parts but I now know they will come one day

Thanks again.

Neuro

Edited by NeuroMimetis

I found another bug. The cross axle connector wont allow axles to go all the way in, but the normal round connector does.

Picture:

connector_bug.png

I found another bug. The cross axle connector wont allow axles to go all the way in, but the normal round connector does.

good to know. that might be why I wasn't able to get the excavator to propperly line up

It has been reported to Lego.

Here's an error I've come across when trying to build two different sets. Suppose you have these pieces:

error_1.png

No matter what you do, you cannot place the yellow plate on the studs so that it overlaps the grey connector. It should be able to sit flush against the connector, but LDD will not allow this.

Sorry if this is the wrong topic; it seems most appropriate for discussing problems like this.

Here's an error I've come across when trying to build two different sets. Suppose you have these pieces:

No matter what you do, you cannot place the yellow plate on the studs so that it overlaps the grey connector. It should be able to sit flush against the connector, but LDD will not allow this.

Sorry if this is the wrong topic; it seems most appropriate for discussing problems like this.

The strange part is that while some connections are perfectly legal IRL but not in LDD, others in LDD would never work IRL. I will edit this post later with examples.

Edit: as promised...

If you'll notice in the first pic that the treads don't colide with each other in the fix after the middle wheel is rotated, but they do cause the wheel to not touch the build floor because the shape of the wheel is actually a mostly invisible box and the 'floor' detects the corner of the 'no longer flush' box instead of the visible polys... so the fix kind of sucks too.

collisiondetectionbug1.png

collisiondetectionbug2.png

Edited by Randal

Another problem I just remembered: the horse's head can be tilted back by about 10 degrees, and forward by about 10 degrees (cruddy estimates, but it's the best I can do). It can also be tilted forward between around 45 and 85 degrees. But it cannot be tilted forward at any angles between around 10 and around 45.

Read this document to understand why this is not possible in LDD.

Another problem I just remembered: the horse's head can be tilted back by about 10 degrees, and forward by about 10 degrees (cruddy estimates, but it's the best I can do). It can also be tilted forward between around 45 and 85 degrees. But it cannot be tilted forward at any angles between around 10 and around 45.

Excellent find. There seems to be some kind of "snap" there. Concider it reported to Lego :classic:

Read this document to understand why this is not possible in LDD.

Excellent find. There seems to be some kind of "snap" there. Concider it reported to Lego :classic:

Thanks for that link! Good stuff to know! Of course, since one of the sets where that illegal connection came up was this, I'm a bit disappointed-- surely on a set less than half a year ago LEGO should have known better than to add an illegal connection. Of course, it could easily slip someone's mind, so LEGO and I are still cool. :tongue:

Thanks for that link! Good stuff to know! Of course, since one of the sets where that illegal connection came up was this, I'm a bit disappointed-- surely on a set less than half a year ago LEGO should have known better than to add an illegal connection. Of course, it could easily slip someone's mind, so LEGO and I are still cool. :tongue:

Hi

If they would have missed this, it would be concider a very big mistake. So I decided I had to see this for myself. I've looked at the instructions, and I can't find the page where the illegal placement is. Can you help me?

How often does this happen to you? you're working off a pdf, building an official set in LDD and you can't move any further because even LU mode doesn't even have this brick. (or another color like it)

57029.1190184098.jpg

It has happened to me more than a few times. So I came up with the following mod to make up for it, which fits as a replacement in most instances, having a general similar outline (if you count it being loaded with the missile) and it has just about the same anchor points.

launcheralt.png

I hope this helps those of you stuck with an LDD build that you can't finish without the launcher. I included two versions. I personally prefer the version with the blunt end of the brick that is supported by the two frame struts facing forward.

In real life you can place bricks like (4073 or 3062b) on top of (6254) 6254.jpg and rotate them - this is not poseble in LDD or in LU mode...

Im trying LDD for the first time but i am very compentent with CAD programs (its my job) and im having a bit of a problem.

Im trying to make a tracked vehicle (like a tank) but i cant get the tracks to connect to the wheels, i am using the sprocket for the track wheels. Im not sure what im doing wrong.

Image attached

post-6769-1275368644_thumb.jpg

First of all you dont have enough room for tracks, they are 5 studs wide and you gave them 4 studs width. Secondly tracks dont attach to wheels, but with some work arround you can place them under wheel, and just keep on adding and rotating tracks around.

Edited by Zblj

4151b.1270518435.jpg

this part doesn't allow snapping of bricks from the underside, besides the edges and the four studs in the center

Kind of difficult to explain, but I hope you understand.