Hi,

have bought it without charging instruction - i have connect it to the plug socket, now the red led blinks: does this mean it is charging or does it mean that it is fully charged?

Another question: Can i somehow damage the accu if it remains some time connected to the plug socket even if already full charged?

Thanks you.

Edited by Kumbbl

Hi,

blinking = full

constant light = charging

As with all LiPO accus, they can permanently lose some capacity if they are lying around fully charged several weeks.

If you know you won't use for a long time, charge it halfway up.

If you use/charge it weekly you don't need to worry about it.

Cookie

Edited by _Cookie_

Hi,

blinking = charging

constant light = full

First of all thank you for you very helpful answer. But in the meanwhile i had success in finding some element specification: http://powerfunctions.lego.com/en-us/ElementSpecs/Default.aspx#8878

Here the description says:

"...To charge the battery you should use the 10 VDC LEGO Transformer. While you are charging the red indicator LED will be lid. When charging is done it will start blinking..."

Well, now i have two 1080 degree contrary statements ;-)

My gut instinct would tend to _Cookie_'s opinion which would mean in consequence that the description on the lego site is wrong...

Therefore now the question: Who is wrong: lego or _Cookie_?

_Cookie_, i see, you have changed your statement, now you say:

blinking = full

If this would be right, then there is somehow strange behaviour: I had have connected the accu to the plug socket for about 45 min and it was always blinking, now the red led has constant light.. if blinking=full and constant light=charging then this would mean, the power connected accu was 45 min full and beginns now with charging.. sounds strange, doesn't it?

I'm somehow confused...

Yes i changed it, had wrong memory of it since i personally don't own this accu. I looked it up on the lego page: http://powerfunction...fault.aspx#8878

To charge the battery you should use the 10 VDC LEGO Transformer. While you are charging the red indicator LED will be lid. When charging is done it will start blinking. While the Transformer is connected you can power models for constant drive. You connect any combination of LPF elements to the plug.

Cookie

Edit: Hmm if your device starts blinking immediately, then it's either already full (which i would dislike pretty much... fully charged LiPO hanging for weeks/months in stores?...) or defective. I guess you should just drain it with some Motors to see if it works.

Edit2: Can't believe lego would make such a huge mistake on that... or? :D

Edited by _Cookie_

_Cookie_, i see, you have changed your statement, now you say:

blinking = full

If this would be right, then there is somehow strange behaviour: I had have connected the accu to the plug socket for about 45 min and it was always blinking, now the red led has constant light.. if blinking=full and constant light=charging then this would mean, the power connected accu was 45 min full and beginns now with charging.. sounds strange, doesn't it?

There is the same situation with mine, too. If I plug in, the red led starts immediately blinking, and after some time, it lights constantly red.

I was thought about the different types of chargers cause this, I charge mine with a custom (not the official Lego one) charger, which has the same specification, as the offical.

Anyway, after charging, the performance is better, so even the blinking and constant light "are reversed", the charging is successful.

So can it be that the sequence of led activity is different in some 8878 battery? Who has 100% true information about this, share with us.

thank you - sounds senseful - camera accus normaly have the same behaviour - blinking = charging - constant light is full

My Li-Po also blinks when charging .... but .... now it's more then 12 hours and it's still blinking!

How long should it be charged? (Sariel, Philo, ....)

My Li-Po also blinks when charging .... but .... now it's more then 12 hours and it's still blinking!

12 hours and still blinking is a problem. Shouldn't take any more than 2 hours. I suppose if you were using a transformer with a very low voltage the charging cycle might never complete.

12 hours and still blinking is a problem. Shouldn't take any more than 2 hours. I suppose if you were using a transformer with a very low voltage the charging cycle might never complete.

I'm using original Lego transformer .... so I dont know what seems to be a problem ....

Is is the first time you're charging it?

Not the first time ... but every time I charge it, I connect it in the evening, and charge it throug the night, so I don't now how long it took to be charged,

becouse every time, it was charged in the morning .... strange .... is something wrong with Li-Po?

Li-Po's do not have infinite life. At some point they will reach an age where they will no longer take a charge. The charge circuit is looking for a certain voltage which is apparently never being reached. Either the charge circuit itself is broken or the cells are not taking the charge. Either way, I wouldn't leave it plugged in any longer.

In some cases I've had success with "resurrecting" Li-Po batteries by cycling them a few times. Try running the battery down with a motor, then recharging it, and repeat a few times.