Paul B Technic

LEGO Burn Out

Has anybody suffered "burn out" from building too much at once?

I have built a custom C model of 42006, a dozer blade, road roller and 95% of a trailer for the Unimog and parted out a couple of large 1000+ piece sets in the past week, I am stuffed :(

Sadly I have so many ideas I want to work on but I am just too tired :(

I try and only "build" on the weekends but I find I have so many good ideas during the week to improve my previous builds or new ideas.

I know the feeling! I very rarely have time to actually build anything, so when I do I go pretty hard. It will usually be at some obscure hour of the night, which might also contribute to me crashing :)

Yes, I regularly think of things, scenes, MOCs and MODs I want to do, but I never have the time. I seem to think of them all when I'm most busy!!!!

I kind of feel burnt out from the project I'm working on. Just returned to it after taking a break from it. Last Saturday I did some good progress. Then I realized I missed a detailed that meant I had to discard the entire days work. Other days I've spent hours looking at it without making any progress at all. Never worked on a project this mentally draining before (Lego or otherwise).

Working on other (smaller) Lego projects haven't been a problem, so it's not Lego burn out per se. It's just a really difficult project. Hopefully it will be worth it in the end; haven't seen anyone do anything similar to it. But sometimes I feel like I should work on a simple project instead, like a GBC module or something...

At this point, the likelihood of experiencing burnout is small. Most of the time is spent waiting for parts/sets or waiting for money to buy parts/sets.

Yeah, I've built several of the sets I got recently and I feel slightly burnt out for now. I still really want to build though, and I have a week off soon so I'll be all good to go then!

Yes, I regularly think of things, scenes, MOCs and MODs I want to do, but I never have the time. I seem to think of them all when I'm most busy!!!!

Exactly how I feel these days! It seems the less time I have the more I think about bricks! Some days when I walk down the street, all I think about is how I would build the stuff I see out in the street...

Hmm, I've never get a burn out. But last few month's I'm realising my Space layout took more time to build. and what torso says, looking at it without making progress. In my situation, it is a large Lego project wit a lot of (technical) details. My advice is to build one thing, when finished, go further with the next part of the moc

Some days when I walk down the street, all I think about is how I would build the stuff I see out in the street...

This is sooo recognisable for me :classic:

Unfortunately I have little time to build, and that's just what i need when building.Time. And bricks.

This is sooo recognisable for me :classic:

Unfortunately I have little time to build, and that's just what i need when building.Time. And bricks.

My friend, if only we had the time and bricks.... The world would be a better place :)

Some days when I walk down the street, all I think about is how I would build the stuff I see out in the street...

Happens to me all the time. Sometimes I feel like I'm 'building' in my mind when watching a film, instead of just concentrating on the film (didn't happen in the Lego Movie, everything was all built for me!!!).

Or I'll see someone when I'm out and about and instead of thinking 'Lego has made that hairstyle' I think 'They have hair like a Lego piece' as if they'd stolen the style from Lego or something!!

Edited by Mutant Orc

Or I'll see someone when I'm out and about and instead of thinking 'Lego has made that hairstyle' I think 'They have hair like a Lego piece' as if they'd stolen the style from Lego or something!!

Haha, I do that too, sooo much! Don't worry, we are perfectly normal :0

Not so much burn out, but I've pretty much bought the stuff I want now, but I can't help thinking I want more, more, more! (Even though I really don't have the room)

I spent all day trying to build a cherry picker attachment for the Unimog, in the end I managed to get it to work but I am not 100% happy with it, might do some more work on it this week.

I still have a heap of ideas for other attachments for this but at the moment I am unable to spend the time to do this at the moment as I have work tomorrow, I think it might be time to start playing around with ideas in LDD.

yep here is one how about 10 projects at the same time and thinking about 11 and 12 and beyond that and wanting to build them all at once with the museum i am planning and the workspace i make a table 10 meters long to be able to do all the projects at the same time so if i get a idea i dont need to wait thats driving me nuts the lack of space and needing to build first this when thinking about something else :P

yep here is one how about 10 projects at the same time and thinking about 11 and 12 and beyond that and wanting to build them all at once with the museum i am planning and the workspace i make a table 10 meters long to be able to do all the projects at the same time so if i get a idea i dont need to wait thats driving me nuts the lack of space and needing to build first this when thinking about something else :P

A ten meter table, wow! I need one of those too:) unfortunately we live in a tiny little apartment and all if my Lego is in the basement, and I have so little time to build. So whenever I can squeeze 15 minutes of building in, I pretty much have to go to the basement, find the parts I need and as soon as I sit down, the baby wakes up and starts crying. THAT is driving me crazy :)

I also am limited by space, I have commandeered the dining room table again, I had to pack everything off to the spare bedroom for a while, but its all crept back into the large dining room table. I feel bad some days hogging the table :blush: . I had to pull out one extension on it to make more space to share, but now that has been taken over too...

I don't feel 'burned out' I think, but I have gotten a couple larger sets, and haven't wanted to build them, not yet anyway. I think its the space issue making me not want to work on them (London Bridge and the Maersk Triple E)...

I have a ton of ideas I want to do in LDD, and have started 3 or 4, but will work intensely on them for a few days in a row and then stop, I haven't been back to them in a week or two now. I will eventually.

I am retired, so have a lot of time at home to look at the Lego and want to keep working on them.

Yes. In fact, today is my first day back on EB in nearly two months. I did not stop buying(just finished my Simpson's collection with the last two today), but i have not spent a lot of time on LEGO, only buying the figures because I really didn't want to miss out.

So yes, I sometimes have these mini dark ages. I also get in that funk where I am depressed about not having enough space, and wonder what's the point... and yet here I am again :)

Great post. Paul, you said what many think and suffer from. I personally have several projects going at a time, once I get bored with one project I move to another. Kind of inefficient, and I often feel guilty b/c I feel it necessary to complete one project before moving on to other. But yes, I think we all have this feeling sometimes!

I tend to go through phases where I spend an inordinate time on building a city, or more recently a Mars landscape which used my classic space models, and then I won't touch Lego for a few months only to restart. I am in that building phase at the moment. Reasons for my lapses is the frustration I feel when trying to build a scene and not having the right parts or just not getting the desired look. Buying kits solves this problem and while I love the modular buildings I want my city to have their own style buildings and so I try to replicate the style in my own buildings, but often I am not happy at the finished result. I just finished converting my GE into an airport using some extra parts and am quite happy with the result, I even included an interior which I normally don't do. I need to actually use the bricks I have to make my own versions.

Space is also a problem but I am busy making my own custom Lego storage and display table so perhaps that will help with maintaining my interest.

I must be in the wrong place. I opened the thread expecting cars and sliding tyres :blush:

If you find you have trouble getting your ideas down, perhaps try drawings, cad tools or quick prototypes to give you something to come back to later when you have more enthusiasm.

Good to know I'm not alone, I always get lego "burnt out" after the holidays, the winter after The Clone Wars came out I built so much I was "brunt out" for weeks, until January rolled around, and I got the last few sets of the year on sale. Good year...

Yup, happens all the time. Some days I have 10 ideas a minute and I can't focus on one idea in general, so I burnout and stop for like a week. It happens. After all, we're only human. :)

The worst part about having so many ideas at once is not having enough parts to make them, so they just float around your brain until you get the parts you need.