It seems Lego Universe (the game) is not doing to well. First they halfed the price, then halfed it again. Sad that TLG could miss this. I remember when I saw it the first time and immediately wondered - "why isn't it more like the LEGO TT games with those same easy controls". But I guess that was just me.

Anyway, for us LDD geeks one very good thing came out of this - Lego Universe (the mode). :classic:

Read more here:

http://www.strategyinformer.com/news/11156/netdevil-left-with-very-small-team

http://www.brickset.com/news/article/?ID=1156

Ah, well. It's a bit regrettable, but LEGO Universe never really drew me in. This isn't because it didn't look like a good game, but I don't have enough of an attention span even for regular gaming most of the time-- I'd never be able to get my money's worth out of subscription-based gaming whether it was a quality game or not.

A lot of people commenting on the Brickset article say that "LEGO should have never tried this at all". I disagree. While LEGO's actual plastic-based products form the majority of their profits, the Traveler's Tales LEGO games have been IMMENSELY successful in all age groups, with both LEGO fans and non-fans. And with the cult following LEGO tends to get with people who are exposed to its products, it's just natural to assume that an expanding game world was the next step.

Unfortunately, a subscription-based sales model was the only one that could have worked for it: after all, the game world and interface both require an incredible amount of design work, and I strongly doubt that purchases of the game itself would be enough to compensate those diligent employees for all that work. I believe the subscription-based sales model is one of the things that killed it, along with the slowness of updates and other factors.

Thankfully, while this was a huge investment for LEGO, they're core product line is still going strong, and extended-line products like future Traveler's Tales games (the PotC game should fly off the shelves if it's as good as it looks so far) should help LEGO compensate for their losses.

To be honest, I wouldn't like it at all if LEGO stopped taking these sorts of risks. By expanding in unexpected directions, LEGO produces fresh ideas rather than perpetuating stale ones. And furthermore, LEGO maintains its iconic status in the world by keeping itself noticeable in multiple public spheres. It's because of this that LEGO-- and by extension, the AFOL community we're all a part of-- get so much respect in mainstream society. If it takes a few failures, so be it-- but I'd hate for the LEGO brand to become "just another toy line", and new and unexpected extensions of the brand help to prevent that.

That sucks for Lego, but in all fairness, I don't see the worth of the monthly fee. As the Brickset article said, people would much rather play with real bricks. I don't know what the payment structure is like, but if it's in every 6 months or something, it sucks for the subscribers too.

If they remove the subscription fee, I'm sure its player count would increase a ton. Until then...

I can't say I'm too surprised. When I first heard of it, an online game where you could build what you want and play with all your friends, it sounded extremely cool. When it arrived it clearly wasn't that and quite what it was somehow seemed rather lacking. Releasing it for the PC was probably the final death knell, PC gaming is mostly for the hardcore these days and parents are probably less inclined to let younger children play on the PC than on a games console.

It's cool that we got Universe mode out of it, I just hope that this doesn't signal LEGO losing faith and giving up on that too.

You might be right this news report is all over the gaming news sites:

US studio NetDevil has axed a significant portion of its staff, while many connected to the matter are claiming the company is to close.

Management at the Colorado-based studio made calls to staff overnight to inform them of their redundancy, according to a blog post from one of their animators.

Numerous affected workers have posted an image of tombstones on their personal Facebook pages, etched with “NetDevil RIP”.

“Unfortunately a lot of talented folks lost their jobs as we have found out on Facebook,” said one of them.

“I personally think it's pretty terrible to find news out that way and not to be correctly notified. We all were receiving phone calls tonight and I just got mine about 2 hrs ago. A handful of artists will be kept on board, for now, to continue work on the studio’s key project, Lego Universe."

But he added, “at the moment that will be a very, VERY small team. As the count continues to rise on FB, they've cut over 20 people.

There is no reason to worry. LU is not dead. The LEGO Group has purchased the staff and trimmed the fat. 20ish employees don't even make up a quarter of the whole NetDevil staff. If there's one thing I've learned from TLG, it's that they fix and learn from their mistakes (cough*Galidor**cough*cough*rainbow knights*cough*). Now that LEGO is in complete control, it's time to sit back, kick up your feet and wait for TLG to shower us with numerous fixes and improvements for this fabulous game. I'm even looking forward to the LU minifigs and sets that I know are on the way! TLG has never let me down before.

LU is here to stay!

I don't understand why Lego didn't look at what was being developed and then go to Tt and ask them to take over or send in an advisement team. Sort of like when Disney hashed out their differences with Pixar and John Lasseter took a look at the much developed Toy Story 3 and said "oh, hell no." and totally scrapped everything they did and started over from scratch. When something works well, don't change the formula. That's how you end up with Highlander sequels that nobody wants to watch.

Edited by Randal

That's interesting news. Perhaps it's too early to declare LEGO Universe a failure... if so, then I for one am grateful. I don't mind LEGO having the occasional flop, but it's far better to see their ventures successful.

Edited by Aanchir

Info from Andrew Arnold, PR and Communications Manager for Community, Education and Direct TLG:

Firstly, just to reiterate, LU hasn't been the success that was hoped for, that's no secret. As some of you have picked up on, starting out on a subscription MMOG is certainly not the easiest option that the LEGO Group could have picked. But we are in it for the long haul.

We are still growing and adding new players every day. The challenge is to keep as many as possible and keep those who have already signed up.

The plan is obviously to make money, but in the meantime we are on a very steep learning curve and amassing huge amounts of information about online gaming.

The complication of LEGO Universe from a purely technical angle shouldn't be underestimated, but we've been even harder on ourselves by insisting on 24/7 moderation and safety features that most MMOGs wouldn't bother with. But we take our responsibility for other people's kids very seriously. That obviously comes at a cost, but it was one that we wouldn't contemplate not paying.

LEGO Universe has still been in a development stage up to this point and changes are on the way to move it further into a operational stage. Changing the price was a decision not taken lightly. It was taken as a result of feedback from parents - who aren't used to the subscription model - to try and encourage them in and see how good the game is.

Other changes have been made on the community side - including more prizes and activities. There are new games and areas being added nearly every month so there is no sign of a slowdown on that front.

More changes could come, but only with the goal of getting it right.

The fact that we've not hit budgets will have no effect on set prices; we just don't calculate things that way. LEGO Universe sits within the business area called Community, Education and Direct, which is where Jan, Jim, Tormod and I all sit. We've seen our budgets shaved a bit, but you all should be OK :-)

LEGO Universe is important because it represents the combining of physical LEGO with virtual LEGO, while still maintaing the systematic elements, the creativity, the storytelling - and the fun. There's lots of exciting digital things going on at the moment - from the Digital Box you know from brand stores, LEGO Digital Designer and Design By Me, and fun projects like the Intel/LEGO collaboration where kids can interact with physical LEGO and projected digital images.

and

Gazillion Entertainment and LEGO System A/S jointly announced today that Gazillion agreed to sell its rights in the development of the LEGO® Universe massively-multiplayer online game to the LEGO Group, the publisher of the game. The majority of LEGO Universe development team members, formerly part of Gazillion’s NetDevil subsidiary, have been offered employment by the LEGO Group, who will continue game development and operations from the current Louisville, Colorado studio.

“We’re excited about the launch of LEGO Universe, and are happy to have the developers officially join the LEGO team,” said Jesper Vilstrup, Vice President at the LEGO Group. “This acquisition demonstrates our commitment both to the ongoing success of LEGO Universe and to an overall strategy to expand our brand online.”

“Gazillion’s focus is developing, operating, and publishing the next generation of browser-delivered games,” said David Brevik, Gazillion Entertainment President and COO. “We’re proud of the game our team built, and are certain that it has a bright future.The transition of members of our team to the LEGO Group enables us to focus completely on internally-published, free-to-play game businesses.”

LEGO System A/S entered into a work-for-hire relationship with NetDevil to build LEGO Universe in 2006. In 2008, Gazillion Entertainment acquired NetDevil. The acquisition of the rights to the game and the ability to transition members of the team to continue work on the game follows the fulfillment of the LEGO Universe development contract. Gazillion will move its other NetDevil projects to a new location.

It basically means as LEGO Universe has moved out of the development phase, we prefer to have full control over the operation of the game, and will continue to integrate it even more closely with the core brand and business.

I think something LEGO could do is turn the game free-er. It sounds like crazy business but it could be something like set purchases giving you a month's gameplay. Or even making it have no fees and be just a mega advertisement for LEGO. Yeah, far-fetched.

I think abig part of it is that you can only buy subscriptions online with a creditcard, no paypal or other options available wich really sucks.

Not every adult, like me, has a CC.

Add that you can buy gamecards in only a very vew and select stores, for example, no store in the Netherlands carry LU gamecards, not a single one.

You lose players after the free month runs out like that.

I think something LEGO could do is turn the game free-er. It sounds like crazy business but it could be something like set purchases giving you a month's gameplay. Or even making it have no fees and be just a mega advertisement for LEGO. Yeah, far-fetched.

That's not even too far fetched.

They could make 'real' Lego sets of things in LU, like the big spider thingy and add a months subscription to it.

Or a part of pirate cove with stromling pirates and an admiral the possibilities are limited by LU content.

I want a real Lego lvl 3 Engineer :tongue:

Edited by BasOne

^ how do you manage without a credit card?

I am not sure that they can make it free without recovering the cost from somewhere like with higher set prices.

I am not sure that they can make it free without recovering the cost from somewhere like with higher set prices.

what about 1 month free trial it sounds like it might be interesting but i dont want to stump up without trying it 1st

I think they should do the Runescape thing. Play for free and get a few areas, then suscribe and get everything.

If they remove the subscription fee, I'm sure its player count would increase a ton. Until then...

I have to agree- that's the single thing holding me back from getting it. Well, that and the fact that the help center wouldn't help me in Beta...

Depends on the country. Where I live paying in cash is the norm and not the exception. So nobody really needs a credit card. Realizing that your family doesn't have any debt is a great feeling, but not being able to buy stuff internationally is kind of a hassle.

They have to go with the revenue model that has been successful for social gaming companies:

- Game is free

- Subscription is free

- You get very limited resources unless you pay to get virtual cash

- Use virtual cash to buy area/bricks/etc.

They have to go with the revenue model that has been successful for social gaming companies:

- Game is free

- Subscription is free

- You get very limited resources unless you pay to get virtual cash

- Use virtual cash to buy area/bricks/etc.

I am against this! I play some online social games that use that system. While they certainly aren't going out of buisness anytime soon, I feel this has a negative impact on the community- Those who DON'T buy the virtual cash are called 'noobs/newbies' and looked down upon. I definitely don't want to see LU go this route, as I feel it'll be ruined by this.

I am against this! I play some online social games that use that system. While they certainly aren't going out of buisness anytime soon, I feel this has a negative impact on the community- Those who DON'T buy the virtual cash are called 'noobs/newbies' and looked down upon. I definitely don't want to see LU go this route, as I feel it'll be ruined by this.

Don't worry; LEGO's stated many, many times that they don't want to go that route with LEGO Universe, for precisely that reason: it makes it so only certain buyers can get the full experience from the game. LEGO wants to create an equal play experience for all buyers.

If there's one thing I've learned from TLG, it's that they fix and learn from their mistakes (cough*Galidor**cough*cough*rainbow knights*cough*).

But how was Galidor fixed? They got rid of it. :laugh:

Either way, as long as LDD LU mode is here to stay, I'm happy.

But how was Galidor fixed? They got rid of it. :laugh:

Either way, as long as LDD LU mode is here to stay, I'm happy.

And the rainbow knights were never a mistake-- they were a successful venture that lasted a good three years (longer than many themes). I for one loved them. LEGO ended them when they ceased to be profitable enough to perpetuate, same as when they ended BIONICLE or Coast Guard.