Sign in to follow this  
Shawn

Lego Harry Potter Hungarian Horntail in 4767 - why so expensive?

He's got a bunch of stuff going for him to hike up his price:

-He's big.

-He's made up of a lot of unique molds.

-He was in one set only.

-He's a character from a hugely popular licensed franchise.

Also, if I remember correctly, the year the set was released a lot of people were getting tired of Harry Potter LEGO (I was working toy retail at the time, but I was in a different department). So there wasn't, like, heaps of sets on the shelves or anything (except that boat, tons of those).

I was thinking the same, but it was jsut a little set. I cannot believe I missed this when I was collecting the Harry Potter Figures. :(

I remember buying this set at £30 and I thought that was expensive :laugh:. Mad eye moody is my personal favourite minifigure in this set because he is the only exclusive, however Harry Potters variation is pretty neat. It's just a shame that I am missing the little magnetic golden [dragon egg] ball; I guess it isn't the ideal piece to own for when you are moving your collection around (much like those pesky footballs in the soccer theme.)

The Hungarian Horntail Dragon is a very well done guy, but overtime the joints on those wings have deteriorated and the clutch power is pretty poor, maybe it's something I could fix by switching out the pieces. The reason as to why this dragon costs so much is pretty much summarised by @obsidianheart (the multi coloured tail mold is fantastic and the nice variation of bananas is an added bonus imo). :classic:

:laugh: I traded my friend for those tan banana pieces! Still have them. I remember I wanted this set only for Mad-Eye, I'm not really a fan of big creatures in sets. They tend to drive up the price, and they're often harder to incorporate in MOCs, especially unique ones like this

I have smaug as well and after re watching the movie, I think that the smaug head would have looked better on the hungarian horntail. :)

I have smaug as well and after re watching the movie, I think that the smaug head would have looked better on the hungarian horntail. :)

Pretty sure Smaug will have the same price point going for him a lot faster than the horntail did, too.

EDIT: Just looked. $50-ish new. Yup.

If it makes you feel any better, I was trying to get a pair of those Reddish Brown wings from this set to update my Ninjago Earth Dragon (Rocky), but they sell for $26 a pair. :(

If it makes you feel any better, I was trying to get a pair of those Reddish Brown wings from this set to update my Ninjago Earth Dragon (Rocky), but they sell for $26 a pair. :(

I tried to buy the dragon seperately off of ebay and it was cheaper to just buy the set since I needed the figs anyways.