Sign in to follow this  
andythenorth

MINI REVIEW: 7939 Cargo Train

traintech1.jpg

2010's Cargo Train (7939) has that must-have quality that the previous 2006 Cargo Train Deluxe didn't quite offer (although the high-high-high second-hand prices of the 2006 set indicate it's also desirable :o )

Mine arrived within a couple of days of ordering from Tullabeg Toys on Amazon.co.uk....price was standard retail £129.99.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/seller/at-...=A2X1HDFQ1A0L0N

post-11102-1275510834.jpg

I always wanted and never had Lego trains. A sad story, but save your sympathy, the sad lack of trains is offset by quite a large quantity of Technic :)

As a 'my first Lego Train', this set looks great so far. I've only built the locomotive. I've fitted it with power functions lights, but the eLites from Life Lites would also fit well and would offer some extra lighting options. http://www.lifelites.com/

I've only run into two problems:

1. the new, smaller PF battery box is closed by cross-head screws, that are a tight fit. This sucks. The AAA batteries are going to run down often, and fiddling with the screws is annoying. I don't want them and forced them out of the case (which was easy). The battery box is in two pieces which are quite a snug fit, and the lower part is retained in the locomotive anyway, so I think it will be better without the screws. I am used to the larger PF battery box which doesn't require screws.

2. the track slides easily on wooden floors! If I operate the train at more than about speed 3, the track moves and the locomotive derails :) I need to figure out some way to provide friction between the track and the floor (all our floors are wooden) :o

The only other disappointment was that no alternative models are shown on the box or instructions. This seems pretty common, but I like the creativity of alternative model suggestions :o

This looks like a great set, it's likely that I'll buy at least one more of these...when I can afford it!

Edited by TheBrickster

2. the track slides easily on wooden floors! If I operate the train at more than about speed 3, the track moves and the locomotive derails :) I need to figure out some way to provide friction between the track and the floor (all our floors are wooden) :o

What about buying a carpet and putting the tracks on them? However, this is only a good solution if you're not intending to build a town around the tracks. Placing houses, road plates and other things on a carpet isn't a good idea though you can try, of course.

1. the new, smaller PF battery box is closed by cross-head screws, that are a tight fit. This sucks. The AAA batteries are going to run down often, and fiddling with the screws is annoying. I don't want them and forced them out of the case (which was easy). The battery box is in two pieces which are quite a snug fit, and the lower part is retained in the locomotive anyway, so I think it will be better without the screws. I am used to the larger PF battery box which doesn't require screws.

This is one issue I completely forgot to tell in my review.

Nevertheless it IS annoying and I'm with you here: The better way is keeping the screw off the box!

Thanks for pointing this out. :thumbup: