sparkart

Monetizing file sharing of LDD LXF files?

What's the community's and forum owner's opinion on using ad-supported file-sharing sites like adf.ly, depositfiles, and uploaded.net to share LDD LXF files?

My thinking is that they are generally frowned upon, for being a type of spam advertising?

I've got an LDD LXF file for this model,

16520307717_0a6a5ebf92.jpg

LEGO TIE Interceptor by SPARKART!, on Flickr.

I'm willing to share it, but only if there is the possibility of a little compensation for it. That may sound petty to some, but being out-of-work for over a year (like I have) puts a new perspective on the worth and value of things I have that could turn into lunch money.

So, are ad-supported file-sharing links good, bad (and/or banned), or ugly?

There is no formal LDD online storage policy. People have used Dropbox, Brickshelf, MegaUpload, etc. to host their files. Put your files wherever you want. If some people don't like the site where they sit, then they won't go to it.

instead of using a secondary site, just have people send you the money via paypal. Than send them the file.

As for the money, I would think a few dollars would be fine. Anio charges a standerd $5, I think. But, if you want to send more, you can. Even $10 is fine for a file or instrcutions for model. The thing that gets me, is the people who think the the file for their model is worth $100. Seriously had a guy tell me he would send me the LDD file for one his models for $100, once. I passed!

Hope this helps.

Jamie

Personally if it were on adf.ly I would have already downloaded it by now :wink:

As for charging for files, I say pffft. I understand yous has gots to eat but being part of the open source community I say share and share alike.

Syphoning a little off advertising is all fair and well but individually charging each person... man just set it free.

I'm very new to the lego community and one thing that surprises me is how little sharing of MOC LXF's there seem to be. There are plenty of photos of MOC's but surprisingly few LDD LXF files.

Personally I think the world would be a better place if we could all just share (even if it means catching a few ads on the way).

It took alot of effort to produce the instructions for complicated MOCs. Although I'm offering mine for free at the moment, I understand why people requested for a bit of a token sum for theirs.

I usually spent half a day of (thats 10 or more collective hours) just to make mine , from the gruelling tasks of snapping photos , and editing/cropping them, then performed a walkthrough/rebuild to ensure the steps are correct ... before it ended up as a PDF file ready for download in my blog /dropbox.

The other thing yuo can do is put a line at the end of the instructions, that if you enjoyed the build, make a donation via paypal.

I have often built other people's models from their free instructions, and though that I would have paid a few dollars for the instructions if I had known the build was as good as it was. Whereas others have been fairly boring builds and I wouldn't have paid for them. Paying if you enjoy rather than upfront means that you only give if you think it is worth it.

I'm very new to the lego community and one thing that surprises me is how little sharing of MOC LXF's there seem to be. There are plenty of photos of MOC's but surprisingly few LDD LXF files.

Personally I think the world would be a better place if we could all just share (even if it means catching a few ads on the way).

Not everyone builds in LDD first nor produce instructions after the fact. Some creators of instructions get into a miff when someone else tries to profit off their work or don't give them credit. Then they end up having to police the internet for misuse of their works.

Sparkart

I love the work that you put into this. Please let me know when we can make a donation and aquire your instructions as I would love to build this.

I don't have a problem with using that sort of site as an alternative to people paying you via Paypal. It would be nice if the site used was dedicated mot LDD files, I think I have seen one like that out there somewhere... I think it might have been called something like "Repubrick", an impressive Y-Wing models instructions could be downloaded there I think, not that I can find it now of course! :grin:

And anyway, I usually use an ad blocker, so Paypal payments is the most only way of guaranteeing getting much money from it.

Off topic edit: Post number 666!

Edited by BrickCurve

If you like open source, you should be advocating for ldr or mpd files not ldd lxf files. :)

You should check out Rebrickable. It has instructions for many MOCs and if you upload the parts you have it can find what you can build. Some MOC instructions are for sale but a lot are free. Even those for sale have parts list so you might be able to figure out how to build it.

Sparkart, not sure if you already got the answer you were hoping for, but I would go the route of Rebrickale.com. I have some models there, 3 for free and 1 for purchase (the WV tram). Simple builds, I share for free, but for more complex ones, I sell. The one that I have for purchase has step by step digital instructions, so the compensation is really for the time put into designing the model, part/cost optimizations and the creation of instructions.

Miro

mocplans?

the means already exist that are much better as far as advertising than just using a pay per click generic download service.