Sandy

Heroica RPG - Quest#15: Hoisting Down the Jolly Roger

heroicaquest15.jpg

Six heroes were summoned to Fort Bonaparte, the small island fortress owned by the guardians of the Crystalline Sea. The waters around Eubric had become perilous, and the skills of the champions of Heroica were needed to make them safe again.

heroicaavatar.jpg

Ad-Hoh
(played by ADHO15)

Level 10½ Mage
*resistant to magic*

Power:

Health:
14/14

Ether:
14/14

Gold:

Inventory:
Rhabdomance Staff (WP:5), Robe of Spell Resistance, Emerald (Wood), Amethyst (Darkness), Ruby (Fire) 4 Potions, 3 Tonics, 2 Lightning Bombs, Bedroll, Shovel

019.JPG

Sir Christopher Daggerfall
(Fred Fred Burger)

Level 9 Knight

Power:

Defence:

Health:
18/18

Gold:

Inventory:
Great Sword (WP:7), Mockthril Shield (WP:4), 3 Potions, Grand Potion, Remedy, Mead, Smoke Bomb, Fire Bomb, Holy Bomb, Bedroll, Shovel, Pickaxe, Bone

Erdathcath Madilinas
(played by The_Customizer)

Level 9 Ranger

Power:

Health:
15/15

Gold:

Inventory:
Longbow (WP:5), Helmet (+1 max. health), Snake Eye Charm (protects from petrify), Potion, Grand Potion, Phoenix Essence, 2 Smoke Bombs, Fire Bomb, 2 Ice Bombs, Lightning Bomb, Water Bomb, Holy Bomb, Bedroll, Shovel, Pickaxe, Telescope

eric_small.jpg

Eric
(played by Khorne) *Party Leader*

Level 12½ Barbarian

Power:

Health:
20/20

Gold:

Inventory:
Godricsleif (WP:8,
ice-elemental
), Potion, Mead, Venom, Bedroll, Bone

6043175947_18b74f9140_t.jpg

Hybros
(played by JimButcher)

Level 10 Rogue

Power:

Health:
17/17

Gold:

Inventory:
Zoot's Reaper (WP:10), Shuriken of Mercutio (WP:5), Throwing Knife (WP:5), 3 Potions, Grand Potion, 2 Remedies, Smoke Bomb, 3 Nostrums, 3 Meads, 3 Smelling Salts, Shovel, Bone, Bedroll

6274181516_11b6a760ac_t.jpg

Maurice Ratibor
(played by Etzel)

Level 9 Cleric

Power:

Health:
18/18

Ether:
13/13

Gold:

Inventory:
Diamond Mace (WP:4,
light-elemental
), Helmet (+1 max. health), Helmet (+1 max. health, unequipped), Scroll of Sleep, 2 Potions, 2 Tonics, 2 Nostrum, Phoenix Essence, Venom

Since it was located on an island in front of the Eubric harbour, the party had to take a boat to reach Fort Bonaparte. The imposing white walls rose from the sea, and the heraldic colours of the naval family fluttered in the flags above the construction.

heroicaquest15-fortbonaparte.jpg

The ferry took them to a pier that was located outside the walls. A steep climb of stairs lead them to the gates of the fortress, where they presented their business. A guard clad in blue-and-white took them to the offices of the admiral himself.

heroicaquest15-bonaparteoffice.jpg

Nemo Bonaparte stared at the party sternly from behind his desk. Spread in front of him was the map of the Crystalline Sea. He was accompanied by a fair-haired lady who had a cheeky grin on her face.

"Good, you have arrived. I have come to trust your organization through my wife Hestia here. She always speaks fondly of her adventures in Heroica." The admiral looked fondly at her wife.

"Come on now, sweetie, back to business", Hestia reminded her husband. "We've got a pirate to catch, remember?"

"Ah yes... Pirates are like rats - even if you catch one, there will always be more, nibbling away your possessions. This latest rat calls himself Jolly Roger, but make no mistake that there is nothing 'jolly' about him. He has thus far raided and sunken at least seven mercantile vessels outside the Free Islands - two of the Hinckwells and one of the Shadeaux among them. Needless to say, our family's status as the guardians of the Crystalline Sea is at stake here. Our reconnaisance have discovered that Jolly Roger has made his den into an abandoned slave hold in an island off the coast of Ennon. It is a formidable fortress, carved inside a large hill and enhanced by devilish weapons that the pirates have acquired from who knows where. We cannot conquer their base in direct combat, but we can sneak our way in and defeat them from the inside. And when I say 'we', I of course mean the six of you."

Hestia giggled. "That's my husband for you, always leaving his dirty work to others."

"On the contrary, my dear. My ships will create a diversion for the pirates, so that you can sail one ship around the island and make a landing in the dead of the night. You will no doubt face resistance inside the base, but with most of the pirates occupied with the battle against my fleet, you should be able to locate Jolly Roger and bring a swift end to his piracy."

"Aren't you forgetting something, sweetie?" Hestia asked.

"Yes, of course! I have a secondary task for you. See, when Jolly Roger first started attacking the ships, my twin brother Reno decided to play a hero and sailed his ship to the pirate base. We have not heard of him since, and I fear that the pirates have made sharkfood out of him, but just in case they happen to hold him hostage on the island, you should look for Reno when you get into the base. Of course I will add some extra gold to your reward if you bring my brother back to me alive."

"With the big mouth Reno has, though, I fear for the worst", Hestia sighed.

"Now, my fleet of eleven ships is waiting for you in our private harbour. You will personally sail The Sunflower, the swiftest vessel we own. I am sure you will find her captain to be quite a handful, though. Haha! So, any more questions before you depart?"

O, how good it had felt to be at sea agian once more, even though the boat trip had been relatively short. Eric couldn't wait to see the rag-tag band of outlaws the party would be up against. He longed to test his improved Godricsleif, bringing icy death to those who stood between the Nord, his companions and their goals.

Eric had only one inquiry to make before departing towards Jolly Roger's hideout.

"Do you have any maps available of the hideout? Or are there any important terrain features we're ought to know?"

The Barbarian felt ready. He was happy to have been picked on this Quest. He'd have the head of the pirate whose silly nom de guerre defiled the pirating trade for any normal sea raider.

OOC: I think my health should be 20 (12+8), not 19. I know I put 19 in my signature, but I forgot to correct it when reaching a new level. I corrected my mistake now :blush: .

"Well met, Sir and Madam. We will do our best to catch or kill this rat of a pirate, and we will sure keep an eye out for your brother. I hope we will not be too late for him."

"Just to be sure. We don't need any travel papers to get on board The Sunflower, right?" :tongue:

Maurice turns to his party companions.

"Are any of you interested in borrowing my second helmet? It would be of better use on your head then in my inventory."

Hybros stands beside his allies, listening quietly to the employers. The job didn't sound easy, but Hybros didn't sign up for easy. He turned to Maurice.

"I suppose I wouldn't mind the helmet, but if anyone needs it the most it's Erdathcath."

OOC: Sandy, it should be noted that Hybros only does 20 damage with Zoot's Reaper from the front row, and 15 with the throwing weapons. Not sure if you knew this but since it's not mentioned in the party stats...

"I suppose I wouldn't mind the helmet, but if anyone needs it the most it's Erdathcath."

"Oh, but Erdathcath already has one of her own. Please take it if you want it."

"This does indeed sound like an exciting an noble quest!"

You will no doubt face resistance inside the base, but with most of the pirates occupied with the battle against my fleet, you should be able to locate Jolly Roger and bring a swift end to his piracy."

"By this, do you mean you would like us to kill him, or bring him back to you alive?"

Maurice turns to his party companions.

"Are any of you interested in borrowing my second helmet? It would be of better use on your head then in my inventory."

"It is kind of you to offer, Maurice, but I do not think your helmet would quite fit me. :tongue: Besides, I am sure it would be better suited to some of our other party members."

"Oh, but Erdathcath already has one of her own. Please take it if you want it."

"Hehe... right, I hadn't noticed. Alright then, I'll take the helmet for now."

Maurice hands Hybros the helmet.

6274181516_11b6a760ac_t.jpgMaurice Ratibor (played by Etzel)

Level 9 Cleric

Power: 13

Health: 18/18

Ether: 13/13

Gold: 25

Inventory: Diamond Mace (WP:4, light-elemental), Helmet (+1 max. health), Scroll of Sleep, 2 Potions, 2 Tonics, 2 Nostrum, Phoenix Essence, Venom [/indent]

"Thank you Maurice."

Hybros (played by JimButcher)

Level 10 Rogue

Power: 20

Health: 18/18

Gold: 81

Inventory: Zoot's Reaper (WP:10), Shuriken of Mercutio (WP:5), Throwing Knife (WP:5), Helmet (Max HP +1) 3 Potions, Grand Potion, 2 Remedies, Smoke Bomb, 3 Nostrums, 3 Meads, 3 Smelling Salts, Shovel, Bone, Bedroll

Don't worry Mr. Nemo we will rescue your brother and bring a swift end to this pirates reign of terror. though admittedly all this sailing is making me feel a bit seasick:sick:.

"Do you have any maps available of the hideout? Or are there any important terrain features we're ought to know?"

Nemo Bonaparte shook his head.

"We do not have any map of the hideout, but we do know that the old slave hold has several entrances. The main entrance leads to a watery cave where the pirates keep their vessels. The archway is incidently shaped like a skull. But you will be entering through the backdoor that lies on a small beach behind the island."

"Just to be sure. We don't need any travel papers to get on board The Sunflower, right?" :tongue:

"Worry not, you will set sail right here in Fort Bonaparte. The captain of The Sunflower knows you are coming for sure", Hestia replied with a wink.

"By this, do you mean you would like us to kill him, or bring him back to you alive?"

The admiral scoffed.

"We Bonapartes have never shown mercy to pirates, and neither should you. Those filthy marauders always have some trick on their sleeves, so do not let them sway you. And if you still feel hesitant to end Jolly Roger's life, remember the grieving families of the merchants on the seven ships that he sunk."

"So, are you ready to depart?"

I believe I am ready. However, do you know approximately how many pirates we will be dealing with?

And do we already know the location of the island?

Oh, and almost forgot, what does Reno look like? Is it possible that he may have joined the pirates?

The admiral scoffed.

"We Bonapartes have never shown mercy to pirates, and neither should you. Those filthy marauders always have some trick on their sleeves, so do not let them sway you. And if you still feel hesitant to end Jolly Roger's life, remember the grieving families of the merchants on the seven ships that he sunk."

"So, are you ready to depart?"

"Do not misunderstand me. I agree that no mercy should be shown to these vile pirates, but some may consider a quick death to be kinder than a lifetime in prison, so I was merely enquiring which you would prefer. You are the boss, so assassinate him, we shall."

"Indeed, I am ready to leave!"

I believe I am ready. However, do you know approximately how many pirates we will be dealing with?

And do we already know the location of the island?

Oh, and almost forgot, what does Reno look like? Is it possible that he may have joined the pirates?

"Our reports tell of at least three ships sailing under the flag of Jolly Roger, but who knows how many minions he has had time to gather? And yes, of course we know where the slave hold is located. The sailors even call it "Jolly Roger's Grotto" nowadays. Look, it has been marked it on this map."

heroica-map.jpg

After hearing Erdathcath's last question, the admiral's face goes red.

"How dare you insinuate that my own flesh and blood would have abandoned his family like that! We Bonapartes have been fighting pirates and foreign invaders for centuries, and my twin brother has never shown any signs of not wanting to follow that legacy!"

Hestia smiles sheepishly. "Uh-oh, now you've gotten my husband on one of his rants. Better ask quick if you still have any questions. Otherwise, the ships are waiting for you."

"Our reports tell of at least three ships sailing under the flag of Jolly Roger, but who knows how many minions he has had time to gather? And yes, of course we know where the slave hold is located. The sailors even call it "Jolly Roger's Grotto" nowadays. Look, it has been marked it on this map."

After hearing Erdathcath's last question, the admiral's face goes red.

"How dare you insinuate that my own flesh and blood would have abandoned his family like that! We Bonapartes have been fighting pirates and foreign invaders for centuries, and my twin brother has never shown any signs of not wanting to follow that legacy!"

Hestia smiles sheepishly. "Uh-oh, now you've gotten my husband on one of his rants. Better ask quick if you still have any questions. Otherwise, the ships are waiting for you."

Oh, i am so sorry, I must not have noticed that he was your twin. And by joining them, I mean they could have him as a slave, or something along those lines, sorry, I was not meaning to insult you.

"I have no further questions, I'm ready to go whenever everyone else is."

Pleased with the answers he had gotten, Eric was ready to leave and go search this wanton pirate. He turned to his companions and asked if they had anymore questions to pose. If not, the party was ready to head for the ships. Eric assured Nemo he had picked the right people for the job.

The admiral sends the party off to the private docks of the fortress. Eleven ships were waiting for them there, but they instantly recognized which one was The Sunflower. Not only did it have a flower as a figurehead, it was also the smallest of the fleet, and thus the swiftest. A young woman motioned them from the deck of the vessel. The party could not help to notice that the hand she was waving at them was replaced by a golden hook.

heroicaquest15-sunflower.jpg

"Come on, get on board!" the woman shouted at the party. The party ascended the plankway onto the deck where the woman was waiting.

heroicaquest15-attina.jpg

"What kept you so long? Did my father start one of his rants again? I am Attina Bonaparte, the proud captain of The Sunflower and the commander in this campaign against that foul new pirate lord. We will set sail toward's Jolly Roger's Grotto immediately. Since we have to keep up with the slower ships, we should arrive to our destination on the second night, just in time for your covert mission. I wish I could join you, but unfortunately my father does not allow me to put myself at risk. He already went crazy when I lost my hand in that duel. It was nothing compared to what the other guy lost, though."

Then Attina turned around and started barking orders at the sailors. Soon the fleet was on its way. As the smaller Free Islands slid past them, an elf approached the party, carrying a wooden board and three dice.

heroicaquest15-aquilosgame.jpg

"Greetings! The name's Aquilo, the First Mate of The Sunflower. Fancy spending some time with a game of dice? It's very simple, but you can potentially triple the gold that you carry. How about it?"

Does anyone want to play Aquilo's game?

Does anyone want to play Aquilo's game?

"Hmm... another little gambling game. I would like to try my hand at this, Mr. Aquilo."

"No gambling for me, thanks. I prefer to make (and loose) my money in more honourable ways."