sunsky

[MOD] 10220 - Volkswagen T1 Camper Van Motorized

I want to introduce a MOD of my friend.

His name is Kim Dong Hyeon(Kim: Family name, Dong Hyeon: Given name)

and his ID in BrickInside is logogo (BrickInside is the largest LUG in South Korea, I think)

Dong Hyeon wrote he focused in the followings :

---------------------------------------------------------------

1. two M motors(steering and drive), 1 receiver, and hide 1 battery as much as possible(technically....)

2. preserve the functions of 10220 as much as possible(result is about more than 90%)

3. realize stable driving and return-to-center steering

---------------------------------------------------------------

6249767444_1861feeefc.jpg6249767596_60b9089a8d.jpg

6249252371_9629b354f0.jpg6249252637_3a4d5c47ea.jpg

He adopted my steering idea introduced in my "City Hunter"

( I want to call it 'sunsky steering' . May I ? )

You can see more photos at his brief review on BrickInside .

Edited by sunsky

I used Yahoo! Babelfish to translate the Korean BrickInside webpage to this ROUGH English translation.

I saw the new 10220 VW T1 Camper set at Brickcon 2011 two weeks ago, and I like how you were able to fit the Lego Power Functions (PF) elements inside. The battery box is stuck on the removable roof, and the PF Receiver is peeking out from the roofline. I like the "Sunsky Steering" too! :thumbup:

DSCF5431.jpgDSCF5437.jpgDSCF5458.jpgDSCF5459.jpgDSCF5464.jpg

Great steering technique for this model!

I like it very much!

I was just thinking about how to motorise mine.

I'm very curious about controlling that steering style - it's something I've struggled with in a larger scale model (14 studs wide) and still don't have a good solution for. To get a slightly tighter lock I'm using 3 stud at the wheel, 4 on the chassis, and pushing on the middle of the rear link arms, but there's a lot of slop making it tricky to get a good centre position or even full lock. I've been playing with small LA's but that really makes the steering huge.

But it is very cool - that design makes it possible to get steered wheels into not much more space than the arch that would enclose them straight ahead, so it makes for a much more realistic model.

I'm trying to reproduce this and I can't figure out the rear axle. Sadly there is only one picture to judge from. It looks like he has a 1/2 bush on one side and no bush on the other side. That would make 10.5 length axle. Why does he have that yellow bush in the first place.

I'm trying to reproduce this and I can't figure out the rear axle. Sadly there is only one picture to judge from. It looks like he has a 1/2 bush on one side and no bush on the other side. That would make 10.5 length axle. Why does he have that yellow bush in the first place.

I asked Dong Hyeon about the rear axle and he said you pointed out very accurately.

He said he needed axle of length 11 but there's no such axle.

He used axle 10 instead, and used 1/2 bush on only one side as you pointed out.

Edited by sunsky

Thanks for the reply. Now to the steering end of the VW...Does it require the white technic spring box for return to center steering (only needed for RC enabled models, or is there a brick build option)?

I asked Dong Hyeon about the rear axle and he said you pointed out very accurately.

He said he needed axle of length 11 but there's no such axle.

He used axle 10 instead, and used 1/2 bush on only one side as you pointed out.

Thanks for the reply. Now to the steering end of the VW...Does it require the white technic spring box for return to center steering (only needed for RC enabled models, or is there a brick build option)?

For the return-to-center steering, I usually apply the technic spring box(with 3x1x2 size)

especially when I am building small to medium sized vehicles.

For heavier cars, multiple springs or some other mechanism would be chosen.

A good example of return-to-center mechanim with normal technic spring(shock absorber) would be

seen in mahjqa's "Basic Chassis"

And I guess mahjqa used two springs(size 3x1x2) in his

In the video, white box seen during 0:50~1:06 seems to be double springs :classic:

Edited by sunsky

Hi,

Please don't bump a very old topic just to ask how something works.

To answer your question; what's not clear about the rear axle? Seems like a very basic setup, an M-motor and two gears?!

Hi,

Please don't bump a very old topic just to ask how something works.

To answer your question; what's not clear about the rear axle? Seems like a very basic setup, an M-motor and two gears?!

I'm wondering what gears are on the custom rear diff. Thanks for your time Jim :blush:

dear all, I am a newbie here, got the lego10220 vw camper, and want to build the above steering.

only the above photo is available, wonderring if anyone was able to build based on that?

can you give me few hints, pls?

On 11/25/2014 at 6:53 AM, Flacsi said:

dear all, I am a newbie here, got the lego10220 vw camper, and want to build the above steering.

only the above photo is available, wonderring if anyone was able to build based on that?

can you give me few hints, pls?

I am a bit 5 years late, and I just built my VW Camper Van after sitting on the set for years. It is a fantastic build, but I too wanted to motorize it. I have chosen to use Sunsky's steering and I have finally successfully adapted the steering mechanism. It took me a few days to figure it out. I'll take some photos, or better yet, I can make an LDD file. I am using the same M motors and I figure out that I must use the 24 tooth gear with cloth for the steering. The other tricky part was to get the drive motor and steering motor to be properly geared so that the steering is not too fast or slow for the speed the vehicle drives. I found the turning radius to be really good with this steering. The steering does not recenter automatically, but based on my setup it got it to work. In my setup I did some other additional mods on the vehicle, mainly, I lowered the axles by one brick, as I find the vehicle is sitting too low in the standard kit. The front of the chassis assembly required some reworking to accommodate the steering. However, unlike Sunsky, I placed both of the motors at the bottom of the chassis instead of having a motor stick upright in the cabin.