Sign in to follow this  
WesternOutlaw

Train Tips: Building a Classic Train Wagon

traintechlink3.jpg

I wanted to take a moment and share with train fans, as well with town/city fans, a quick and easy build for a classic train wagon.

Utilizing the instructions in 3225 Classic Train, this simple yet effective train car can provide the base (or inspiration model) for many other similar wagons, for those of you wanting to build a Lego passenger train.

Let's take a look at the model:

01.jpg

If you like what you see, feel free to continue.

The key to building Classic Lego Trains is the use of the smaller (6x16) base plate, not a difficult piece to find:

02.jpg

TIP: if you don't have the exact size plate, you can always add another layer and piece together smaller plates.

The "bogies" (or wheels) are very simple to make, just adding a 2x4 plate to the wheel with a buffer on top. The addition of a 2x2 plate makes the bogie level:

03.jpg

The addition of a standard 2x6 brick (in any color you like) with a 2x8 plate makes the wheels secure:

04.jpg

The train ends are easy to make with 2 ladder pieces (most often found in black), a 1x4 plate, and a "train end":

05.jpg

4x5 door frames provide a simple entry for minifigs:

06.jpg

TIP: Don't have a door frame (part 2493)? You don't need one. You can always leave this piece off. Unfortunately, the side platforms are not wide enough to allow the use of a standard 4x5 door.

A standard 2-layer base (12-studs long) provides the main foundation for your wagon. You can build this with 1x12 bricks or any combination of standard bricks:

07.jpg

TIP: Try removing one layer of bricks and replacing with three layers of plates. One layer can be a different color to make a stripe. I may try this myself.

Adding six train windows in whatever color you have creates the sides.

You need to cap your windows off with the use of 4 1x6 and 2 1x4 plates:

08.jpg

A simple roof is made with 8 3x4 roof tiles:

09.jpg

A 4x10 plate secures the pieces on the other side:

10.jpg

The interior is very easy to make just adding 3 chairs on a 2x8 plate. 2x2 plates are used to raise it:

11.jpg

Adding some custom stickers helps provide a little extra detail:

12.jpg

(Special thanks to Imperial Shadows for his custom decal patterns)

Using the same instructions, here's the wagon in blue:

13.jpg

See this topic for a complete view of the completed train.

I hope you find these simple train building tips useful!

Very useful indeed! Thanks for the tips, TheBrickster. :thumbup:

I've never really been into trains but I have been considering starting to MOC some soon, maybe de-christmasifying the Holiday Train.

That's a great and very useful topic, TheBrickster! :thumbup:

Although I don't think that there's first and second class included in one and the same wagon :grin: I find your tips very helpful!

If I've got time the next weeks I'll perhaps try to design a classic train car with your instruction in LDD and then will show it here. :wink:

Thanks for the tips! :sweet:

Klaus-Dieter

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

Thanks guys!

Although I don't think that there's first and second class included in one and the same wagon

You're probably right, but the ides is from Classic Train 182, although its passenger wagons are longer.

Thanks for the help. I have been trying to make a passenger car for a while now so this should help.

Wow, your pictures and instructions are very clear and helpful, for others whom are keen to build a train wagon. It's very useful, and I could easily see others to build 3 or 4 of these train wagons provided that they have enough parts to construct, so they are able to build their passenger train. :tongue:

Thanks for taking your time to demostrate this, and adding it on to Train Tech! :wink:

Great job sherrif! But I have a question: where did you aquire the extra tan train windows to build your two cars when there is only enough for 1 car in 10194?

where did you aquire the extra tan train windows to build your two cars when there is only enough for 1 car in 10194?

I borrowed a couple from a friend. The Emerald has 10 - just needed two more.

You're probably right, but the ides is from Classic Train 182, although its passenger wagons are longer.

Well you're right: with a bigger passenger wagon it would work. :thumbup:

Klaus-Dieter