Jump to content


HMS Surprise


  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic  – Started by Charlie03 , Jun 23 2011 04:22 AM

#1 Charlie03

Charlie03

    Posts: 10
    Joined: 02-June 11
    Member: 18223
    Country: USA

Posted 23 June 2011 - 04:22 AM

Posted Image 104 A
I'm new on Eurobricks and have finished my first frigate: the HMS Surprise.  The ship is armed with 24 32 pound carronades, 10 18 pound carronades, and 2 4 pound chase guns.  The ship features a working helm and capstan along with a removable deck. I designed the ship using plans and other images found online. When the folder becomes public, you can view more pictures here

Attached File  furled sails.JPG   36.84K   9 downloads

Furled sails

Attached File  DSCN2952.JPG   34.93K   12 downloads

Broadside!

Due to the upload size and quota, I can't put any more photos in this post, but I'll post more photos later.  If you have any comments, suggestions or questions please let me know!

#2 Tazmaniac

Tazmaniac
  • Swings in the right weather conditions


    Posts: 1639
    Joined: 03-October 10
    Member: 13585
    Country: Australia

Posted 23 June 2011 - 04:39 AM

What an amazing first ship well done ! It looks great.
And welcome to Classic Pirates I'm sure you'll love it here.

May you be touched by his noodly appendage
Posted Image Posted Image
Got Questions? Need help? New member?
Read the site guidelines | Index of helpful tutorials| Eurobricks FAQ


#3 Darth Yogi

Darth Yogi
  • im from no-caps country


    Posts: 856
    Joined: 01-June 10
    Member: 11065
    Country: USA

Posted 23 June 2011 - 07:41 PM

Awesome ship.  The rigging looks beautiful, and I would love more pictures to really show how great a ship this is.

Great job :thumbup:
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image  Posted Image  
The Rabbit( MCW Contest entry)...........................Arrival on Tatooine...................................................Bail Organa's Airspeeder........................................Le Sans Fin

Flickr

#4 Dread Pirate Wesley

Dread Pirate Wesley

    Posts: 175
    Joined: 21-August 09
    Member: 7124

Posted 24 June 2011 - 04:04 AM

Finally got in to your brickshelf gallery, man are those pictures huge!  But I think you should resize them and post some more here because clearly you've put a lot of work into this ship.  Overall it's very nice, I especially like the rigging you've done, and the brickbuilt anchor.  The only part that looks a bit odd to me is the bow.  I think the headrails extend too far down and overall the bow has a very angular feel.  But the rigging is particularly inspired and I think you've done a greate job recreating a classic ship  :thumbup: Oh and welcome to the forum!

:jollyroger: Dread Pirate Wesley
"You see, no one would surrender to the Dread Pirate Wesley..."

Flickr

Posted Image

Persephone                           The Pickle


#5 Charlie03

Charlie03

    Posts: 10
    Joined: 02-June 11
    Member: 18223
    Country: USA

Posted 24 June 2011 - 07:25 AM

View PostWhiz, on 23 June 2011 - 04:39 AM, said:

What an amazing first ship well done ! It looks great.
And welcome to Classic Pirates I'm sure you'll love it here.

Thanks a lot!

View PostDarth Yogi, on 23 June 2011 - 07:41 PM, said:

Awesome ship.  The rigging looks beautiful, and I would love more pictures to really show how great a ship this is.

Great job :thumbup:
Thanks! I'll put more up!   :thumbup:   The brickshelf gallery is available so you can view more pictures there.

View PostDread Pirate Wesley, on 24 June 2011 - 04:04 AM, said:

Finally got in to your brickshelf gallery, man are those pictures huge!  But I think you should resize them and post some more here because clearly you've put a lot of work into this ship.  Overall it's very nice, I especially like the rigging you've done, and the brickbuilt anchor.  The only part that looks a bit odd to me is the bow.  I think the headrails extend too far down and overall the bow has a very angular feel.  But the rigging is particularly inspired and I think you've done a greate job recreating a classic ship  :thumbup: Oh and welcome to the forum!

:jollyroger: Dread Pirate Wesley
Thanks! I'll resize the photos and add more to this page.  Also, thanks for your helpful suggestions.  I agree that the bow looks angular and wonder if you have any specific suggestions as to how to make the bow more round?

#6 Sebeus I

Sebeus I
  • Winner of the Third Tournament of Retribution!


    Posts: 1484
    Joined: 04-September 08
    Member: 3891
    Country: Belgium

Posted 24 June 2011 - 08:18 AM

That second picture is a fantastic view, did you place the ship under an angle or something ?
It looks so... "sea taming" really nice.

#7 Admiral Croissant

Admiral Croissant
  • Popped his title cherry!


    Posts: 3029
    Joined: 03-December 08
    Member: 4578
    Country: Netherlands

Posted 24 June 2011 - 10:16 AM

You did a very good job on this ship :thumbup:  Especially the rigging is great with its modularity and historical accuracy.
The amount of detail on the decks is amazing as well, and the colourscheme is nice.
I agree about the bow being a bit angular. I think this tutorial made by Captain Green Hair could help you (scroll down to the bow section).
I also think you could make the hull a bit wider in the middle. It's quite narrow and high now.
And finally, I agree that the headrails could be improved.
I think it would look better if you removed the bottom headrail, and personally I don't like the black 1x1 round plates there much.

So if you're going to adjust the ship, good luck! And otherwise just thanks for sharing :pir-classic:
And welcome to Eurobricks of course!
Got questions? Need help? New member?
Read the site guidelines
Index of helpful tutorials

Posted Image
20 gun Frigate 'Vesta'
My Brickshelf
My Flickr
My Mocpages


#8 Errorist

Errorist
  • Likes opproperingsbeurten!


    Posts: 255
    Joined: 21-May 07
    Member: 1602
    Country: Belgium

Posted 25 June 2011 - 12:59 AM

A very good job for a first ship! The colours and the rigging look great Posted Image

I do have to agree with Admiral Croissant on the bow though. Adding a few more hinges will make her less bulky Posted Image

Keep up the good work!


Greetings,
Errorist
The Man in Black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
My Brickshelf

#9 Charlie03

Charlie03

    Posts: 10
    Joined: 02-June 11
    Member: 18223
    Country: USA

Posted 27 June 2011 - 08:44 PM

View PostSebeus Iniwum, on 24 June 2011 - 08:18 AM, said:

That second picture is a fantastic view, did you place the ship under an angle or something ?
It looks so... "sea taming" really nice.

Thanks! The ship is at a slight angle and the sails are angled toward the camera.  

View PostAdmiral Croissant, on 24 June 2011 - 10:16 AM, said:

You did a very good job on this ship :thumbup:  Especially the rigging is great with its modularity and historical accuracy.
The amount of detail on the decks is amazing as well, and the colourscheme is nice.
I agree about the bow being a bit angular. I think this tutorial made by Captain Green Hair could help you (scroll down to the bow section).
I also think you could make the hull a bit wider in the middle. It's quite narrow and high now.
And finally, I agree that the headrails could be improved.
I think it would look better if you removed the bottom headrail, and personally I don't like the black 1x1 round plates there much.

So if you're going to adjust the ship, good luck! And otherwise just thanks for sharing :pir-classic:
And welcome to Eurobricks of course!

Thanks for your compliments and helpful suggestions Admiral! I plan to adjust the ship and I'll upload photos when finished.


View PostErrorist, on 25 June 2011 - 12:59 AM, said:

A very good job for a first ship! The colours and the rigging look great Posted Image

I do have to agree with Admiral Croissant on the bow though. Adding a few more hinges will make her less bulky Posted Image

Keep up the good work!


Greetings,
Errorist

Thanks! I'll work on the bow.


Oh, and here are a few more (resized) pictures:

Posted Image

The Captain's cabin

Posted Image

Crew firing the carronades on the gun deck.

Posted Image

The chimney

Posted Image

The captain, Sir Edward Hamilton climbing into a boat

Posted Image

The stern details

Posted Image

a photo of the quarter deck and helm

Posted Image

The capstan (which actually raises and lowers the anchors, notice the thread)

Posted Image

An image of an anchor and the bow (I plan to adjust the bow and headrails)

Posted Image

This shows the helm and how the thread which attaches to the anchor chain.

Posted Image

Athena, the figurehead (who kinda looks like a conquistador rather than a Greek Goddess...oh well)

And finally....

Posted Image

The HMS Surprise under full sail!

#10 Captain Becker

Captain Becker
  • Pirate Pig


    Posts: 1547
    Joined: 30-December 09
    Member: 8823
    Country: Finland

Posted 27 June 2011 - 08:46 PM

What a beaty. :pir-wub:  You surely made a great job whit her. May i ask how you did the working Steering wheel?

Captain Becker
My LEGO collection

"An Admiral a day, keeps the Doctor away" General Skalldyr in ToR II

Posted Image Posted Image <---- Thank you so much joey Bluecoats FTW
Thank you Jebediahs

#11 Charlie03

Charlie03

    Posts: 10
    Joined: 02-June 11
    Member: 18223
    Country: USA

Posted 28 June 2011 - 08:50 PM

View PostCaptain Becker, on 27 June 2011 - 08:46 PM, said:

What a beaty. :pir-wub:  You surely made a great job whit her. May i ask how you did the working Steering wheel?


Thanks Captain Becker!  The helm has thread wrapped around the piece between the two wheels which is shown in this picture:

Posted Image

The thread goes below the deck (on both the left and right side of the helm) and is tied to a chain which pulls the rudder.  So when the helm rotates clockwise, the rudder is pulled to the left (if you were looking at the stern) which happens because the thread is pulled on the left side and released on the right side.

#12 kurigan

kurigan
  • Fresh Pirate


    Posts: 293
    Joined: 25-February 10
    Member: 9706
    Country: USA

Posted 05 July 2011 - 08:55 PM

Don’t know why I didn’t comment on this earlier but I’ve been inspired. I just plane like your ship.  I suppose there could be some refinement, but I don’t see any of it as entirely necessary. If this were the Patrick O’Brien “Surprise”, some of the suggested refinements might be inline as he wrote about a light French built vessel. From my understanding however, the “Enterprise” class, “Surprise” of history was a bit more of a “slab sided” sort of, bulky English build ship. Still more if your inspiration is the real world reproduction, formerly “Rose”, she is a but bulky for O’Brien’s “Surprise” as well as she was fist built as a 36 and re fit to play “Surprise” in the movie. All in all I think you’ve gotten pretty close to the mark and should be proud of what you have so far.

#13 Charlie03

Charlie03

    Posts: 10
    Joined: 02-June 11
    Member: 18223
    Country: USA

Posted 07 July 2011 - 08:29 PM

View Postkurigan, on 05 July 2011 - 08:55 PM, said:

Don’t know why I didn’t comment on this earlier but I’ve been inspired. I just plane like your ship.  I suppose there could be some refinement, but I don’t see any of it as entirely necessary. If this were the Patrick O’Brien “Surprise”, some of the suggested refinements might be inline as he wrote about a light French built vessel. From my understanding however, the “Enterprise” class, “Surprise” of history was a bit more of a “slab sided” sort of, bulky English build ship. Still more if your inspiration is the real world reproduction, formerly “Rose”, she is a but bulky for O’Brien’s “Surprise” as well as she was fist built as a 36 and re fit to play “Surprise” in the movie. All in all I think you’ve gotten pretty close to the mark and should be proud of what you have so far.

Thanks! I'm glad you like it!  This ship is modeled after the French corvette L'Unité, which was captured by the British and famously captained by (Sir) Edward Hamilton. (I think that Patrick O'Brien used the same ship) Anyway, the ship is based on these plans: click here Do you have any suggestion as to how to make it appear less bulky? (In widening the hull, I might increase the angle of the tumblehome which might help)

#14 Dragon Warrior

Dragon Warrior

    Posts: 22
    Joined: 21-June 11
    Member: 18607
    Country: Great Britain

Posted 09 July 2011 - 10:35 AM

Well built and looks good
Posted Image
Maximus Glacuis, Level 1 Knight,? year old undead male human
Power:4 Health:10/10 Gold:10
Inventory: Longsword (WP:3), Crusader knight shield (SP:2), Potion




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored Links