Sign in to follow this  
Mattieshoe

MOC: Lego Racers Boss Cars recreated

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

I just finished my LDRAW builds of all the boss cars found in Lego Racers. (except Veronica Voltage. need to beat her to get car reference <.<)

I had to use both the beginning animation and in-game models for reference, so there was some conflicting information. Gypsy Moth's car design varied the most, and I decided to just use the game model for the sake of my sanity. Probably going to make more modifications later. But for most of them I tried harder to recreate the models seen in the intro (though I was at the mercy of the cinematics, so I could study some cars much more closely than others)

Making them all solid and buildable with real pieces while still as exact as possible was probably the biggest challenge. Some parts are a bit flimsy, but I've put together what I could with my pieces and they hold together nicely, The strength of studs never fails to amaze me.

Anyways, here they are in no particular order:

BaronVonBarron1.png

BasiltheBatlord1.png

(Piece 6125 doesn't seem to be in any parts packs)

GypsyMoth1.png

JohnnyTunder2.png

KingKahuka2.png

(same with 6029b)

Redbeard1.png

RocketRacer1.png

Yeah, I can't claim any kind of creative credit with these, but it was my first time in MLCAD, and I haven't seen super accurate replicas of these guys so far.

I'll put the LDRs up in a bit, in the mean time, what do you guys think?

Edited by Rufus
Indexed

I happen to have also recreated the cars. In fact, I recently ordered many of the pieces via Bricklink to rebuild Redbeard, Kahuka and Batlord boss cars. I think you are spot on for the majority of them but there are a few errors.

1) Baron's car has a black steering wheel, not tan

2) There are too many plates on the back of Basil's car. I think you raised the car by a plate's height which is not correct.

3) Gypsy's blue seat back piece is one plate too high.

4) Kahuka's car has many minor imperfections. The spear pieces are missing two yellow 1x2 plates beneath the black clips. The grey jumper plate holding the imaginary white feater should be on top of the 1x2 grey brick, not the slope. The front section of the car is not correct. There should not be two yellow 2x2 modified axel plates although I understand why you placed them. Technically, that connection is impossible to make out of existing pieces. I would recommend having a yellow 1x4 plate followed by a red 1x4 modified plate with the two axel ends. This could be yellow too.

5) The flag hinge on Redbeard's car is a plate too high.

6) Rocket's car has black wheels.

Despite all the constructive criticism, I really appreciate the diverse models of the boss cars and yours for the most part are top-notch accurate replicas.

-MFROG5

I just finished my LDRAW builds of all the boss cars found in Lego Racers. (except Veronica Voltage. need to beat her to get car reference <.<)

If you need so, I have a complete game saved in my computer, with all her car parts.

Thanks, Mfrog :)

As I said, I was aiming to recreate the cars in the opening animation, as they had the most realistic construction. I took the colors directly from there, .

As for Basil's car, building it like that was the only way possible for me to maintain it's form accurately without the need for piece modifications.