Sign in to follow this  
David Thomsen

Imperial Flagship...

This isn't 'news' obviously, but the Imperial Flagship is still available from Lego.com. I am quite sure it has been on sale longer than the 2009 pirates themselves were available, and it has crossed over with the rival POTC theme quite substantially.

This seems interesting to me, especially since the Black Pearl is coming out soon and then there will be three pirate-era sailing ships on the market concurrently, which as far as I know is unprecedented. And none of these ships are 'small', not even the Black Pearl which a lot of people think is too small but which is actually still quite large by Lego ship standards.

I wonder - did they just produce too many of them, and are having trouble shifting them? Or are a lot of people adding it to their POTC collection in lieu of an in-theme naval vessel? Does the continued availability of the Imperial Flagship actually imply anything at all about the future of the theme?

I don't think they're having trouble shifting them, I would have thought its a really popular set? I think it's more of the opposite - people are still buying it and therefore they continue to sell it.

If you look at the Medieval Market Village you see the same thing, the set is from the 'Castle' line and also released in 2009, the release of 'Kingdoms' from 2010 hasn't resulted in the sets removal.

I don't think anyone's expecting the return of the crown knights because they continue to sell the MMV though so by the same logic I wouldn't read too much into the imperial flagship being signs of a classic pirates return. That said, I hope that classic pirates do return in the next couple of years.

I wonder - did they just produce too many of them, and are having trouble shifting them? Or are a lot of people adding it to their POTC collection in lieu of an in-theme naval vessel?

Apparently the plan was to have a two year production run...

The Imperial Flagship was a 10XXX number and I am pretty sure it was a 2010 release. So if it goes along the way of MMV, the modular and SW sets (I.E. UCS, Endor) it will be around until 2012!

Strange because I got the Club Catalog, and did not see Imperial Flagship, but I did see MMV!

Same.

The IFS is on page 48 in my fall 2011 catalog. What country are you guys in? I can post pics if I need to.

Just got mine in.

In the US.

P. 48 for me as well

The IFS is on page 48 in my fall 2011 catalog. What country are you guys in? I can post pics if I need to.

Yes, please post pics if you are able to. :thumbup:

Here's pictures of the UK equivalent:

autumn2011cat1.png

autumn2011cat2.png

autumn2011cat3.png

Our catalogue is only 39 pages though, how many pages in the US one? Obviously more than the UK one if that's page 48!

Edit: Might be worth a mod splitting the topic?

Edited by Weil

I was also just at a LEGO store last weekend, and they had a full supply. It's damn expensive though.

Yet another huge set that I wanna buy but holding off to see if there is anyway I can pick this up for less than retail.

Doubt anyone cares but they took this set off the Canadian TRU website a few weeks ago. Then again, the Canadian TRU set is screwy and tends to take sets off then put them back (especially during sales).

My first trip ever to a LEGO store, earlier tonight. Guess what I got?

I'm so jealous, I am counting down the days till xmas :pir_bawling:

I think that the IFS is not suppossed to be connected to Pirates! :jollyroger: at all. It is just a separte set that happens to have soldiers and pirates. This is why it does not say Pirates! on the box of the IFS. On the 2009 sets, it says Pirates!

Now that this set is discontinued, I unfortunately missed out on getting one and I was wondering if the current market price (at about $300) is still worth it for this ship?

Now that this set is discontinued, I unfortunately missed out on getting one and I was wondering if the current market price (at about $300) is still worth it for this ship?

I think so. This is the largest sailing ship Lego has released and to my mind the best as well. I didn't think any model could surpass my childhood favorite, the BSB but the flagship certainly has done. The detail of the model is most impressive, albeit regularly surpassed by some of the excellent MOC'ers here on Eurobricks. I think its recognition of the quality of the Imperial Flagship that the sometimes lukewarm reception given to the POTC ships stemmed from them not living up to the standards set by the flagship, although I always found those comparisons unfair given the substantial differences in price.

If you want one, I would get it fairly soon. As I'm sure you are aware retired sets usually skyrocket in value and the price continues to go up. $300 is a lot of money but at the moment the set hasn't been retired for that long and there are a fair few copies around. Leave it a few months and you may find the price has got even steeper.