nesquik

2012 Train 'Exclusive' - Rumours/Rumblings?

Hi guys :cry_happy: I just thought I'd start a thread that could house any feedback or rumours for 2012 exclusive trains. It's an interesting topic as the Maersk Train and Emerald Night are still on sale, so could it be that the latter will retire and make way for a new set?

Hi guys :cry_happy: I just thought I'd start a thread that could house any feedback or rumours for 2012 exclusive trains. It's an interesting topic as the Maersk Train and Emerald Night are still on sale, so could it be that the latter will retire and make way for a new set?

I would guess the next exclusive will debut in 2013.

I suspect the only "train" product in 2012 is going to be the Monster Fighters train.

I'd be guessing you're correct. Our guest from TLG this year at Brickvention was a designer. He's currently moving to be responsible for the city range. While he didn't discuss upcoming sets, he did make a comment that he was concentrating on the themes that were about to be refreshed and hadn't looked at trains yet. Which suggests to me that new trains are at least a year away if not more.

That wouldn't include any special trains like Maersk or Emerald night but I'd be surprised if we see a new one till the Maersk is close to the end of its run.

I wish they would come out with trains like the BNSF GP38 or the Santa Fe Super Chief. Were those sets profitable for TLG?

I wish they would come out with trains like the BNSF GP38 or the Santa Fe Super Chief. Were those sets profitable for TLG?

They were very profitable for anyone with the foresight to buy a few. And even more profitable still for anyone with the greater foresight to buy a lot. Sadly this was my 'dark period' and I can't ever imagine I'll own one now. A shame, as I travelled on the Super Chief from Chicago to L.A. in the summer of '66 - one of the highlights of my life.

Edited by That Lego Chap

My two cents:

2009: Emerald Night

2011: Maersk

2013: ?

I think we'll have to wait for next year. I don't consider things like the Monster train or the Toy Story train to be part of the "official" train line, even if I buy those kinds of sets and power them and include them when I actually set up my tracks. IOW, I consider them to be members of the LEGO train family, but I don't think TLG does in general. Even the Hogwarts trains weren't, although I guess there were conversion instructions for at least one of them.

They were very profitable for anyone with the foresight to buy a few. And even more profitable still for anyone with the greater foresight to buy a lot. Sadly this was my 'dark period' and I can't ever imagine I'll own one now. A shame, as I travelled on the Super Chief from Chicago to L.A. in the summer of '66 - one of the highlights of my life.

It was my "dark period" as well. I was lucky enough to find a used set on ebay with box/instructions for about $200. Washed it, looks new to me! It was my favorite train as a kid theres no way i could pass it up.

That's a very interesting question, tom-cat! :classic:

Since we have the set nummers for (supposably) all Exclusives this year - excluding the Winter set (if we get one) - I highly doubt that we'll see a train set this year. :sceptic:

Imo we got enough trains in the last years. Which is now much more needed are some trackside structures:

I'd so much like to get a modern engine shed, a huge train station with decent interior or even better a cargo center. We have been waiting for these sets since years - but TLG doesn't seem to hear us. :cry_sad:

Klaus-Dieter

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

That's a very interesting question, tom-cat! :classic:

Since we have the set nummers for (supposably) all Exclusives this year - excluding the Winter set (if we get one) - I highly doubt that we'll see a train set this year. :sceptic:

Imo we got enough trains in the last years. Which is now much more needed are some trackside structures:

I'd so much like to get a modern engine shed, a huge train station with decent interior or even better a cargo center. We have been waiting for these sets since years - but TLG doesn't seem to hear us. :cry_sad:

Klaus-Dieter

I agree, tho with prices of these sets like EN being silly we need something more or re-issues, We could hope for a new radius of track until ME bring there's out and re-issuing of the double crossover or a Y shaped point or maybe a 3 way point !!!! we can all dream at least

Edited by spzero

While I expect Lego to stick to a two year cycle for the exclusives, I'm wondering if they are switching to releasing one City train every year, rather than the feast-and-famine cycle of two trains every other year.

You never know. Sets have a way of popping up without anyone knowing.

I've been wrong before, but that doesn't mean I won't be surprised if I am in this case. It would be a pleasant surprise though. In my wildest moments of fantasy I hope we get a replacement for the Emerald Night which is a complete train (or at least a few carriages).

I'm not sure about the engines, but the Santa Fe carriages appeared to be not so good, since they had a lot on sale at about one third the original price at the end of the run. One of the guys in my train club tells me three pallet loads were bought and shipped around the Australian train clubs. Those trains were an experiment which it appears failed, so we now pretty much only see train sets, rather than individual engines and cars.

A new Train Engine shed would be most welcome in this off year.

The thing we've all got to remember though is that TLG is a commercial operation and that for any new Product launch it's the size of the addressable market thats important. A Train Engine shed would only be on interest to a subset of the Train community and they'd be little possibility of sales into other Lego communities.

But, I agree with you. A new shed would be most welcome. I just don't see it happening.

I'm not sure about the engines, but the Santa Fe carriages appeared to be not so good, since they had a lot on sale at about one third the original price at the end of the run. One of the guys in my train club tells me three pallet loads were bought and shipped around the Australian train clubs. Those trains were an experiment which it appears failed, so we now pretty much only see train sets, rather than individual engines and cars.

Oh man did i miss out! Well maybe in the future they could sell something similar in a complete set. They are so popular now i don't see how it wouldn't be profitable. Maybe make it a limited production?

The thing we've all got to remember though is that TLG is a commercial operation and that for any new Product launch it's the size of the addressable market thats important. A Train Engine shed would only be on interest to a subset of the Train community and they'd be little possibility of sales into other Lego communities.

But, I agree with you. A new shed would be most welcome. I just don't see it happening.

Hi

I completely agreement, That woud be a Nice addition to the current sets. An idea to bring it to TLG's attention would be Lego CUUSOO. (altough i think it would be à useless attempt)

Niels

Hi

I completely agreement, That woud be a Nice addition to the current sets. An idea to bring it to TLG's attention would be Lego CUUSOO. (altough i think it would be à useless attempt)

Niels

Is it a possible though that maybe a Creator set could come out with components for an engine shed as one of the options? I could see something along the lines of the houses they make which could be made up as a generic factory or warehouse or engine shed or any other sort of industrial building one can imagine, possibly even an office block? That would give the bricks & instructions for this but with the added appeal to all the City fans instead of just appealing to train fans.

I doubt we'll see a train this year, but next year.....perhaps, a Friend's theme train ? :blush:

Though since Lego City has moved to the forest and mining is the next subtheme.....who knows right ? :wink:

Maybe something with a few ore wagons and larger shunter with loading station to go next to the smaller rail system with the largest mining set ? :wink:

Just throwing it out there in case a set designer is reading this. :tongue:

They are so popular now i don't see how it wouldn't be profitable.

Yes, they are very popular - among AFOLs. And that's a big part of the picture. No matter how you look at it, AFOLs are always going to be a marginal part of Lego customers. The company is making toys, and children will always be their main market. No matter how many AFOLs bought these new sets you're suggesting, Lego would depend upon a lot of children wanting them as well. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see such releases, but I think the chance is very low as long as the last attempt failed - it's all about profit :)

Yes. I think if you could compare Maersk train numbers to a similarly priced Star Wars or Toy Story set you'd probably be left wondering why they bother with trains at all.

Thank goodness they do.

Thank goodness they do.

Absolutely! The Maersk and the Emerald Night is intended for the adult fan base that probably doesn't sell in the same quantities as a comparably priced Star Wars set at one's local toy store. At the same time, the City theme is the conduit that helps steer the kiddies to LEGO Trains. They've got to have transportation in their towns and cities and a cargo train or high-speed rail is just the solution to add moving parts to their layouts. Unfortunately, it's not the Maersk or the Emerald that appeals to the kiddies, but rather the play trains.

That's not to say that we won't see another LEGO hobby train because the designers of the Modulars and hobby trains, through LEGO marketing, have been listening to the AFOL and building sets that appeal to us.

What might be the next train is the question bringing us back to the topic at hand?

I'd like to see a series of single, well-detailed rolling stock to add to ones' existing train. Maersk cargo wagons, perhaps a crane car, hoppers, boxcar, and though LEGO is done with the Emerald, a mail car, or observation car would be awesome.

Lots of possibilities and most likely, we'll see something pop up when we least expect it. :thumbup: