Jump to content


Work in progress: Fort Brighton


  • Please log in to reply
124 replies to this topic  – Started by ZCerberus , Mar 14 2007 06:22 AM

#51 Captain Roger

Captain Roger
  • Salty EB dog


    Posts: 615
    Joined: 14-June 05
    Member: 376
    Country: the sea

Posted 19 March 2007 - 01:26 PM

Finally is an excelent MOC....when i saw the first photo i thought it wasn't so great....but finally it rocks....i love the armors that adorn the building.


Only one siggestion. Some faces aren't apropiate to soldiers....they work better with pirates....but is only a personal opinion....and isn't very relevant
LET'S CRAH THE IMPERIAL GUARDS!!!

#52 ZCerberus

ZCerberus
  • Little Boney


    Posts: 5165
    Joined: 23-October 06
    Member: 1043
    Country: USA

Posted 19 March 2007 - 02:01 PM

View Postexo attack, on Mar 19 2007, 03:01 AM, said:

This is getting very awsome! I like the big arches under it, and I would comment on this more, although it seems thumbnail 9 through 13 have the exact same picture as thumb 1.

You are correct sir!  I fixed the links... I think!

View PostCaptain Roger, on Mar 19 2007, 08:26 AM, said:

Finally is an excelent MOC....when i saw the first photo i thought it wasn't so great....but finally it rocks....i love the armors that adorn the building.

That is probably because at first it looked like 3 crippled walls!  I think the size is just about where I want it.  Now I just have to figure out how to finish the tower structure...

View PostCaptain Roger, on Mar 19 2007, 08:26 AM, said:

Only one siggestion. Some faces aren't apropiate to soldiers....they work better with pirates....but is only a personal opinion....and isn't very relevant

if you mean the blue guy with the eye patch in thumb 4 I agree.  Who ever I got the soldier from must have had that head on him and I just never changed it.  I also dislike the head and I will change it sometime.

View Postbonaparte, on Mar 19 2007, 05:14 AM, said:

The new fortress look incredible. And it is not even finished...
This is a valid remark indeed. The view of the governor standing on his balcony is a bit blocked by the big tower of the new fortress.

Yes, I am a little concerned that the building behind ins a bit superfluous now.  But at the same time it is also an armory storing lots of weapons of sorts and the master at arms can still look over the connecting fortress section!  Who know what I will do.  I also would like to remind you he can look left AND right... two out of three ain't bad?

View PostLandlubber, on Mar 19 2007, 03:12 AM, said:

I do have one small problem with it though.
See the 1x3 bricks above the knights heads. They look a bit plain and "slabby".

Could you add some more detail instead of those blocks, say something like the 1x1 clips or the 1x1 round plates in this photo. I know its only a small thing but I think it will make a lot of diference.

Well that whole  mini structure is a bit flimsy... I'm not yet entirely sure what to do with it.  I think I started with the threes to make sure the whole piece stayed together!  I suppose I could do it with a plate just as easily as a brick.

Posted Image+Posted Image+Posted Image+Posted Image+Posted Image+Posted Image+Posted Image+Posted Image

See these MOCs and MORE in the Guilds of Historica!


Trian Burress fell in Nocturnus at the battle for Abyssian!


New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide | Tutorials


#53 ZCerberus

ZCerberus
  • Little Boney


    Posts: 5165
    Joined: 23-October 06
    Member: 1043
    Country: USA

Posted 19 March 2007 - 02:13 PM

View PostMister Phes, on Mar 19 2007, 03:20 AM, said:

It just keeps looking more and more magnificent...  Its bringing tears to my eyes :'-)

Only problem now is the new fort really foreshadows the original structure behind it.

Don't cry!

I am not sure foreshadows is the right word... maybe Overshadows?!

Posted Image+Posted Image+Posted Image+Posted Image+Posted Image+Posted Image+Posted Image+Posted Image

See these MOCs and MORE in the Guilds of Historica!


Trian Burress fell in Nocturnus at the battle for Abyssian!


New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide | Tutorials


#54 Phred

Phred
  • Back


    Posts: 3679
    Joined: 18-October 06
    Member: 1037
    Country: USA

Posted 19 March 2007 - 03:19 PM

View PostZCerberus, on Mar 18 2007, 09:41 PM, said:

Well I shall try to lure you before I spring my trap then!  ;-)
Eek! Not a trap!
I suppose with all them vessels around your harbor too, i should just remain a nuisance well out of range of this fort.

View PostZCerberus, on Mar 18 2007, 09:41 PM, said:

Ah my good man, you are thinking what I am doing!  The old rear section, the armory part, is still going to remain intact.  I guess with how massive the new fortress is getting though, it is basically going to hide the whole armory section behind it... oh well!
I think it's fine that the armory is getting over shadowed by the new fort portion (which is looking flippin sweet!! BTW).
Maybe make your armory smaller, or less elegant so it looks like it should be overshadowed by the new fort.

P

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here
Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide

Posted Image


Pirates don't hunt for treasure.  They bury it- I mean we bury it.  - Captain Kirk


#55 Dukesc

Dukesc
  • Need more ships!


    Posts: 123
    Joined: 22-January 07
    Member: 1290
    Country: United States

Posted 19 March 2007 - 04:41 PM

View Postphred, on Mar 19 2007, 03:19 PM, said:

I think it's fine that the armory is getting over shadowed by the new fort portion (which is looking flippin sweet!! BTW).
Maybe make your armory smaller, or less elegant so it looks like it should be overshadowed by the new fort.

I totally agree with my bro here. The armory should be smaller than the main fort. I can’t imagine a real fort and armory with equal size. If it is overshadowed that is fine.

View PostLandlubber, on Mar 19 2007, 08:12 AM, said:

I do have one small problem with it though.
See the 1x3 bricks above the knights heads. They look a bit plain and "slabby".

Could you add some more detail instead of those blocks, say something like the 1x1 clips or the 1x1 round plates in this photo. I know its only a small thing but I think it will make a lot of diference.

Landlubber
I disagree with you on this. I don’t think that having a 1x3 brick on a Lego structure looks plain and “slabby”. I feel it looks fine and should be left as is.

View PostZCerberus, on Mar 19 2007, 02:13 PM, said:

I am not sure foreshadows is the right word... maybe Overshadows?!

I noticed this too. Yes, overshadows would be the correct word.
Foreshadowing is a hint of what will happen in the future, but who cares.

Anyway ZCerberus your mighty fort is coming along very nice. I like that it overshadows other structures as a great fort should.

Your red roofs look good too.

Duke
Posted Image

#56 Norrington

Norrington
  • Azufre Village Idiot


    Posts: 2032
    Joined: 07-October 06
    Member: 1009
    Country: America

Posted 19 March 2007 - 04:44 PM

No I mean keep the old front part (in addition to the armoury) and have the new section jutting out of the old fort in the water.
Just returned from a 3 or so year dark age, so just getting back into the swing of things. :)

0o~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~o0o~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~o0
~Proprieter of Norrington's Fine Minifig Clothiers. Please visit my thread .~
~My MOCpages~My Maj Gallery~My Fan-Fiction.net Gallery~My Photobucket~My Brickshelf~My Youtube~


#57 El Bucanero

El Bucanero
  • Kiwi addiction!


    Posts: 3547
    Joined: 14-July 06
    Member: 851
    Country: Canada

Posted 19 March 2007 - 06:12 PM

I'd LOVE to see this on an event, in battle with the Arbiter... WOW! Very impressive, the roofs look brilliant. Everything looks brilliant! Need I say more??

Mr Tiber

#58 ZCerberus

ZCerberus
  • Little Boney


    Posts: 5165
    Joined: 23-October 06
    Member: 1043
    Country: USA

Posted 20 March 2007 - 03:31 PM

View Postphred, on Mar 19 2007, 10:19 AM, said:

Eek! Not a trap!
I suppose with all them vessels around your harbor too, i should just remain a nuisance well out of range of this fort.

Or maybe I wanted you to think it was a trap so you would stick to the open water so I could spring my REAL trap  ;-)

View Postphred, on Mar 19 2007, 10:19 AM, said:

I think it's fine that the armory is getting over shadowed by the new fort portion (which is looking flippin sweet!! BTW).
Maybe make your armory smaller, or less elegant so it looks like it should be overshadowed by the new fort.

We'll wee what I come up with when I finally get around to building again!

Posted Image+Posted Image+Posted Image+Posted Image+Posted Image+Posted Image+Posted Image+Posted Image

See these MOCs and MORE in the Guilds of Historica!


Trian Burress fell in Nocturnus at the battle for Abyssian!


New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide | Tutorials


#59 simonwillems

simonwillems
  • Technic Campaigner


    Posts: 1351
    Joined: 08-December 06
    Member: 1116
    Country: The Netherlands

Posted 20 March 2007 - 03:36 PM

What a great fort is this! All those details look fantastic, good use of all the arches and I really like the minifig statues now, being dark grey.

If only I had that many white bricks and arches...

Keep up the good work!

#60 ZCerberus

ZCerberus
  • Little Boney


    Posts: 5165
    Joined: 23-October 06
    Member: 1043
    Country: USA

Posted 20 March 2007 - 03:40 PM

View Postdukeschunke, on Mar 19 2007, 11:41 AM, said:

Landlubber
I disagree with you on this. I don’t think that having a 1x3 brick on a Lego structure looks plain and “slabby”. I feel it looks fine and should be left as is.

I am not sure where I am going with this because the whole structure right there is not very well connected and I kinda flimsy.  We'll see if it changes!

View Postdukeschunke, on Mar 19 2007, 11:41 AM, said:

I noticed this too. Yes, overshadows would be the correct word.
Foreshadowing is a hint of what will happen in the future, but who cares.

Apparently Australians say silly things, like calling the trunk of a car 'the boot' and a flashlight a 'torch'.  I could lie and say that perhaps in Australia foreshadow means overshadow, but instead I will just say perhpas Phes was right in that the smallness of the old fort and my tendency to make big things foreshadowed the building of the new fort.

View Postdukeschunke, on Mar 19 2007, 11:41 AM, said:

Anyway ZCerberus your mighty fort is coming along very nice. I like that it overshadows other structures as a great fort should.

Thank you Duke.  Now I should say I think we would all like to see you post some of the forts that Phred said you have hidden away.

View PostNorrington, on Mar 19 2007, 11:44 AM, said:

No I mean keep the old front part (in addition to the armoury) and have the new section jutting out of the old fort in the water.

Unfortunately, I need the bricks from the old fort to make the new one!

View PostMr Tiber, on Mar 19 2007, 01:12 PM, said:

I'd LOVE to see this on an event, in battle with the Arbiter... WOW! Very impressive, the roofs look brilliant. Everything looks brilliant! Need I say more??

Ah Arbiter v Brighton... would be a good match... how about all pirate vessels and Venganza v. Brighton?  It is such a hassle to get all the MOCs out of my parents attic, but maybe someday this will happen!

View Postsimonwillems, on Mar 20 2007, 10:36 AM, said:

What a great fort is this! All those details look fantastic, good use of all the arches and I really like the minifig statues now, being dark grey.

If only I had that many white bricks and arches...

Keep up the good work!

Thanks Simon, but it is not like you are an incapable builder with no bricks, I have seen your Imperial Tower and Amsterdam MOCs.

As for not having enough white and arches though, I think Phes would tell you "There's still time!"

Posted Image+Posted Image+Posted Image+Posted Image+Posted Image+Posted Image+Posted Image+Posted Image

See these MOCs and MORE in the Guilds of Historica!


Trian Burress fell in Nocturnus at the battle for Abyssian!


New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide | Tutorials


#61 Berry Syedow

Berry Syedow
  • *Amen*


    Posts: 693
    Joined: 05-February 06
    Member: 653
    Country: U.S.A.

Posted 21 March 2007 - 02:20 AM

Mmm, another fort!  Everything looks magnificent so far.  The yellow and the white go really well together, so I’m interested as to what other creative combinations pirate MOCcists can come up with, using this color.

Some other details that I find notable are the yellow flowers that adorn the building.  Excellent use, here. *y*  Those dark grey statues look great, too.  Lastly I like how you’ve sprinkled the base with rocks and vegetation to add a bit of realism to the MOC.

#62 ZCerberus

ZCerberus
  • Little Boney


    Posts: 5165
    Joined: 23-October 06
    Member: 1043
    Country: USA

Posted 22 March 2007 - 06:54 AM

View PostBerry Syedow, on Mar 20 2007, 09:20 PM, said:

Some other details that I find notable are the yellow flowers that adorn the building.  Excellent use, here. *y*  Those dark grey statues look great, too.  Lastly I like how you’ve sprinkled the base with rocks and vegetation to add a bit of realism to the MOC.

Thanks man, I try my best.

Okay so some more progress, I am not sure if I love it or hate it... I think I am somewhere in between... I think  I need to do more with all the white space underneath the upper roof.

Left to do still... Get wheels for cannons, do some interiors, make connector section from armory to fortress.

Pics...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image


Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image+Posted Image+Posted Image+Posted Image+Posted Image+Posted Image+Posted Image+Posted Image

See these MOCs and MORE in the Guilds of Historica!


Trian Burress fell in Nocturnus at the battle for Abyssian!


New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide | Tutorials


#63 Bonaparte

Bonaparte
  • Christmas Moose


    Posts: 14595
    Joined: 22-June 06
    Member: 822
    Country: Belgium

Posted 22 March 2007 - 09:00 AM

I just love it Mr. Z.
Can't say anything to improve, because I think it is perfect!

Want to find out more about our Reviewers Academy? Just click the logo.



Posted Image



New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here



Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide






#64 ZCerberus

ZCerberus
  • Little Boney


    Posts: 5165
    Joined: 23-October 06
    Member: 1043
    Country: USA

Posted 22 March 2007 - 01:43 PM

View Postbonaparte, on Mar 22 2007, 04:00 AM, said:

I just love it Mr. Z.
Can't say anything to improve, because I thinks it is perfect!

Why thank you boney... but I think maybe I will try to make the upper most level and the second to top level... the one with the balconies, the same length and width.  Right now the upper level is 1 wider and 1 longer.  I will try to get to that today, then I will post a comparison pic.  I think this change will make both sections look taller, and it will compress the upper roof a little which I might find more appealing.  Stay tuned!

Posted Image+Posted Image+Posted Image+Posted Image+Posted Image+Posted Image+Posted Image+Posted Image

See these MOCs and MORE in the Guilds of Historica!


Trian Burress fell in Nocturnus at the battle for Abyssian!


New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide | Tutorials


#65 Norro

Norro
  • Writer & Director and Old Grey fetishist


    Posts: 3512
    Joined: 30-April 05
    Member: 315
    Country: Ireland

Posted 22 March 2007 - 03:30 PM

Looking real good! The height is interesting, but also gives the building an edge...

     God Bless,

           Nathan
Posted Image

#66 Dukesc

Dukesc
  • Need more ships!


    Posts: 123
    Joined: 22-January 07
    Member: 1290
    Country: United States

Posted 22 March 2007 - 04:13 PM

ZCerberus
Wow!!! *y*  *y*  This is really looking awesome. My jaw nearly hit the floor when I opened your forum and saw the updated fortress. I think this fort would do its job in battle and maybe even avoid some battles by scaring off would be attackers.  *sweet*
Duke
Posted Image

#67 Phred

Phred
  • Back


    Posts: 3679
    Joined: 18-October 06
    Member: 1037
    Country: USA

Posted 22 March 2007 - 06:55 PM

View PostZCerberus, on Mar 21 2007, 10:54 PM, said:

...
Okay so some more progress, I am not sure if I love it or hate it... I think I am somewhere in between... I think  I need to do more with all the white space underneath the upper roof.
...
Maybe try having the top roof at the same slope as the smaller roofs on the lower floors.
Also, i'd try to have a much taller flag pole. Maybe even use one of B's flags and have it larger than a lego flag.

Other than that, This is coming along spectacularly 8-o
*y*
This is a fine addition to Ft. Brighton indeed.

There is a lot of good detail all over the place, and the yellow and white flow together real well.

P

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here
Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide

Posted Image


Pirates don't hunt for treasure.  They bury it- I mean we bury it.  - Captain Kirk


#68 exo attack

exo attack

    Posts: 627
    Joined: 23-December 06
    Member: 1141
    Country: scotland

Posted 22 March 2007 - 07:01 PM

View PostZCerberus, on Mar 22 2007, 04:54 AM, said:

Thanks man, I try my best.

Okay so some more progress, I am not sure if I love it or hate it... I think I am somewhere in between... I think  I need to do more with all the white space underneath the upper roof.

Left to do still... Get wheels for cannons, do some interiors, make connector section from armory to fortress.

Pics...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
That was my favourite part :-P

#69 oo7

oo7
  • Master Carpenter


    Posts: 2892
    Joined: 27-May 06
    Member: 788
    Country: The US of A

Posted 22 March 2007 - 08:13 PM

Very impressive, Mr. Cerberus. Even the sheer size of it astounds me. Great detail too, especially those statues, a wonderfull touch. Great job. *y*
Posted Image

#70 ZCerberus

ZCerberus
  • Little Boney


    Posts: 5165
    Joined: 23-October 06
    Member: 1043
    Country: USA

Posted 24 March 2007 - 05:48 AM

Okay peeps, I am off to my girlfriends, so this will be brief.  Hopefully tomorrow I can take pictures of the interiors and what not, but for now, two overviews of the progress.  Still needs some wheels and cannons!

Posted Image


Posted Image


More tomorrow!!

Posted Image+Posted Image+Posted Image+Posted Image+Posted Image+Posted Image+Posted Image+Posted Image

See these MOCs and MORE in the Guilds of Historica!


Trian Burress fell in Nocturnus at the battle for Abyssian!


New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide | Tutorials


#71 Mister Phes

Mister Phes
  • WordPress Wizard


    Posts: 20385
    Joined: 19-March 05
    Member: 273

Posted 24 March 2007 - 06:17 AM

View PostZCerberus, on Mar 20 2007, 01:13 AM, said:

I am not sure foreshadows is the right word... maybe Overshadows?!
Yes that's the right word - my enternal dictionary must have had a malfunction.

Now you've built even more the original component looks like its an outhouse or something tacked onto the back!

#72 Bonaparte

Bonaparte
  • Christmas Moose


    Posts: 14595
    Joined: 22-June 06
    Member: 822
    Country: Belgium

Posted 24 March 2007 - 12:56 PM

View PostMister Phes, on Mar 24 2007, 07:17 AM, said:

Now you've built even more the original component looks like its an outhouse or something tacked onto the back!
I don't believe this is a problem. Its rather an "added value".
Even real forts were often rebuild, buildings and walls added.
So this is a fort with a long and rich history that has been adapted to the needs of each time-period.
When cannons and ships got more powerful, a part was rebuild to protect the fort because of these changed conditions.

Want to find out more about our Reviewers Academy? Just click the logo.



Posted Image



New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here



Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide






#73 casewindu

casewindu
  • Extreme Tie General


    Posts: 1348
    Joined: 14-January 07
    Member: 1257
    Country: england

Posted 24 March 2007 - 01:22 PM

i dont really like pirates but i like a beautiful moc!  :-D  very nice work!  *wub*

#74 ZCerberus

ZCerberus
  • Little Boney


    Posts: 5165
    Joined: 23-October 06
    Member: 1043
    Country: USA

Posted 24 March 2007 - 03:04 PM

View Postdukeschunke, on Mar 22 2007, 11:13 AM, said:

ZCerberus
Wow!!! *y*  *y*  This is really looking awesome. My jaw nearly hit the floor when I opened your forum and saw the updated fortress. I think this fort would do its job in battle and maybe even avoid some battles by scaring off would be attackers.  *sweet*
Duke

I hope so!  Now I just wonder if the rest of harbor is going to seem... well... "blah"  heh.  Well I am planning on adding a small fortress like section to the other side as well, so hopefully it will all look good.

View Postphred, on Mar 22 2007, 01:55 PM, said:

Maybe try having the top roof at the same slope as the smaller roofs on the lower floors.
Also, i'd try to have a much taller flag pole. Maybe even use one of B's flags and have it larger than a lego flag.

Well I thought about running the roof at that same angle, except with the two sides meeting in the middle like it does on the tower, it just didn't really work, it looked too stubby.  I left the angles but then changed the fron facing to match the rest of the fortress

View Postexo attack, on Mar 22 2007, 02:01 PM, said:

That was my favourite part :-P

What part was your favorite part?

View PostMister Phes, on Mar 24 2007, 01:17 AM, said:

Now you've built even more the original component looks like its an outhouse or something tacked onto the back!

Well you would have to remember that there is still the whole rest of the harbor!  Even still, I agree with you to a point.  I think maybe I can do some minor modifications to increase its looks and fit.  I need to redesign the connection sector a little anyway!

View Postbonaparte, on Mar 24 2007, 07:56 AM, said:

I don't believe this is a problem. Its rather an "added value".
Even real forts were often rebuild, buildings and walls added.
So this is a fort with a long and rich history that has been adapted to the needs of each time-period.
When cannons and ships got more powerful, a part was rebuild to protect the fort because of these changed conditions.

Once, again, recall that there is several other sections that will be attached as well!
Thanks, for the support boney, but I think that since I am a bigger fan of "cool factor", I should do something to update its look a little bit.

Posted Image+Posted Image+Posted Image+Posted Image+Posted Image+Posted Image+Posted Image+Posted Image

See these MOCs and MORE in the Guilds of Historica!


Trian Burress fell in Nocturnus at the battle for Abyssian!


New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide | Tutorials


#75 Phred

Phred
  • Back


    Posts: 3679
    Joined: 18-October 06
    Member: 1037
    Country: USA

Posted 24 March 2007 - 03:06 PM

View PostZCerberus, on Mar 24 2007, 06:57 AM, said:

I hope so!  Now I just wonder if the rest of harbor is going to seem... well... "blah"  heh.  Well I am planning on adding a small fortress like section to the other side as well, so hopefully it will all look good.
Maybe just move the portion that you've just replaced to the other side :)

View PostZCerberus, on Mar 24 2007, 06:57 AM, said:

Well I thought about running the roof at that same angle, except with the two sides meeting in the middle like it does on the tower, it just didn't really work, it looked too stubby.  I left the angles but then changed the fron facing to match the rest of the fortress
Oh i see,  it looks a lot better now with the large roof in the back where it connects to the harbor.

View PostZCerberus, on Mar 24 2007, 06:57 AM, said:

What part was your favorite part?
...
I think he was talking about all of your fort is his favorite part X-D

P

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here
Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide

Posted Image


Pirates don't hunt for treasure.  They bury it- I mean we bury it.  - Captain Kirk





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored Links