XAxles

A LEGO reality show... a good idea or a bad one?

Now, the Guardian (again, dang it) wrote about TLG's plans to create a reality show.

It says on the article, penned by Mark Sweney and Stuart Dredge:

"Lego is developing reality competition formats and will be launching a TV series in 2015. A senior executive hinted on Tuesday that one idea Lego is exploring revolves around Master Builders – the name given to the designers of its toy bricks sets and theme parks, and to characters in its movie.

"Jill Wilfert, Lego’s vice-president of global licensing and distribution, said that the Danish company is 'exploring some reality competition show formats, which is new for us: the idea of becoming a Master Builder is something we think could be quite resonating'.

"Wilfert, speaking at the Mipcom TV conference in Cannes on Tuesday, said that over the next few years the company will increase its focus on TV and digital entertainment.

“'You will continue to see us in this entertainment and content space' she said. 'We are working on a new property that will launch with a TV series in 2015, and we are focusing on having real interactivity.'

"She added that the it would be something designed for digital natives, with apps integrated into the experience."

So, I speculate an Apprentice-style show, a serialization of the application process, which can turn either for better or, most likely, for worse.

What do you think, EBLand?

I'll have no qualms if this is not the right subforum, but I feel this is.

Edited by XAxles

If it is a similar format to something like The Great British Bake-Off or indeed a Television friendly version of the Master Builder selection process it could work out.

For those not in the know: TGBB is an amatuer baking contest in which two judges, professional bakers with books and TV series behind them, set increasingly challenging bakes to the 'contestants' (it doesn't really sound right to say contestant as the programme is very fluffy and nice) and judge them on technique, skill, taste and presentation. Every episode has three challenges and a theme. The theme could be Bread, Pastry or Cakes and the challenges are:

The Signature Challenge - In which the bakers make a favourite bake of theirs that fits the theme. Tried and tested etc.

The Technical Challenge - A very sparsely detailed recipe is given to the bakers by the Judges and they have to work from this, with its missing or basic instructions to test their skill and knowledge.

The Showstopper - This is what it says on the tin really. Something impressive, often big. Flavour, appearance and presentation are judged.

I think something like that adapted for LEGO building would be pretty cool. A format like X-Factor, (Country)'s Got Talent or other contests with public vote-offs could get just as much a farce as those shows are and maybe even reflect poorly on the image LEGO tries to present.

Oh gosh. I hate reality TV. I hate how so many of those shows try to create drama out of mundane things.

If they don't try to create drama and actually focus on the building, I might like it. UK reality TV is much better than American reality TV because they don't turn it into a Jerry Springer kind of thing.

I don't know about other countries, but America reached the saturation point with reality TV several years ago. But, since they are so inexpensive to make, looks like we will be seeing more of them.

It could be a really interesting show to watch, if they do it right. And by do it right, I mean focus on the interesting stuff, like the actual building process. There was a show recently on the Sci-Fi channel where people were competing for an internship at the Jim Henson Creature Shop. Once you got past the typical reality show BS, the actual creation of creatures, prosthetics, etc was fantastic. Unfortunately, being a reality show it was an uneven split where too much time is spent on interpersonal drama and conflict, rather than actually watching people make cool stuff.

I don't know about this... On one hand, it would be cool to see what they would build on it... On the other hand, there is one big problem; reality TV. I've seen a few that were okay (the one that comes to mind was this cooking show called "Halloween Wars") but usually they're just dumb.

I'll wait and see. I can't help but wonder, though, if this works well, and they create a lot of really awesome stuff... I wonder if this would make public perception of AFOLs better? I mean, I always hear people say how their friend is like "that's a toy. Grow up" and then they show them all the great MOCs that people make and they shut up... I wonder if this show would make more people see what can be done and make it less of a toy...

There was a competition to find the new MasterBuilder for a new Legoland Discovery Centre. It happened over a weekend. It started with 200 contestants, down to 50, 12 and then 1. How are they going to stretch out over several episodes and keep it interesting? Will viewers get to vote contestants off Brick Island?

I think it'd be a very cool idea for a LEGO reality show. I look forward to seeing more details about it.

There are excellent reality-competition shows out there, like The Great British Bake-Off as Peppermint mentioned. I'm a devotee of that show and I'm an American. There are some good American shows too like Chopped which only have a little bit of farce and mostly focus on the contestants' actual skill.

I can't see this working if it's aimed at children because it would probably be made to be too stupid, but I can't see them gearing a LEGO competition show towards adults either. If it's done with dignity as Bake-Off and Chopped are, it could be good, but much of competition TV is garbage. We'll just have to see what they go for.

The apprentice seems like a very poor example to follow. I would see a Lego tv show following more the example of a show like FaceOff. It's been successful by showcasing the artists without the constant need to create drama.

It would be a wonderful opportunity for TLG to show the world the amazing creations that can be made from a toy.

I'd certainly be more than happy to see one in a Great British Bake Off style. The show itself would be very inspirational and great to see what Master Builders can come up with.

...America reached the saturation point with reality TV several years ago. But, since they are so inexpensive to make, looks like we will be seeing more of them.

True!

But also don't forget one of next years City sub-themes is that Swamp range. So we should prepare ourselves for the inevitable Reality TV Show stuffed with gator-rasslin', airboat speeding, toothless, half-wit Swamp Builders.

/shudder/ Time to unplug the TV.

True!

But also don't forget one of next years City sub-themes is that Swamp range. So we should prepare ourselves for the inevitable Reality TV Show stuffed with gator-rasslin', airboat speeding, toothless, half-wit Swamp Builders.

Maybe they can bring in some of the women from the various 'Real Housewives of.....' series who've had the frame off restorations. I'd love to see the ones from NJ start throwing lego at each other.

True!

Yes!

"Imma bill me a gator trap from these here blocks. That rascal'll never get way dis tahm."

-the gator breaks the trap-

"Wha? How'd he get out? Haha. I guess dese blocks ain't as sturdy as I thought they'd be. Dern gator."

I cannot wait.

It's interesting to see how LEGO is increasing its presence in media. Animated TV series, video games, high budget movies and now this.

I guess it will be fun to watch

OK, then I guess "The Great British Bake-Off" is the the best bet.

But how about an "Iron Chef"-style show?

Edited by XAxles

Like, what I meant with "Iron Chef"-style show looks like Peter Reid vs. Mark Stafford, or the Senior Technic Builder (sorry, don't know who, exactly) vs either Sheepo or VKT, or Jamie Berard vs Nathaniel Kuipers or Peteris Sprogis.

Basically, they guys who work at LEGO vs select AFOL's.

And then a sub-show with about 16 kids cut in two brackets, from 7-11 and another bracket 12-19 (TFOL's).

Also, there will be a recurring "SHIPtember" special.

Yeah, I just went overboard.

GIANT EDIT:

OK, since Iron Chef has an Italian, French, and Japanese master format, I think it best if TLG will do something similar, with the best Senior Designers in System (Micro, Creator/Model Team), Technic, and Mindstorms as the Iron Builders and the challengers being select top-notch T/AFOL's, guy or girl (some women chefs have already beaten an Iron Chef), and if T/AFOL wins he/she becomes Iron Builder or gets "acclaim and prestige for his or her lifetime" and a Super Master that can build with all three (if that guy exists), as well as a SHIPtember tournament (Yeah. You got a problem with that?) special?

That makes for four Masters.

Edited by XAxles

I doubt it will be adult builders. It will probably be a kids show featuring kids.

Televised Mocolympics or iron builder would be really fascinating. Like others, I worry the personal drama would be the focus rather than the exposure to new cool building techniques. I don't watch television any more so I am not sure of recent reality formats. I guess they would have to somehow create the drama by making the builders share a space or have visibility into each others' WIPs?

I think you could create a really interesting documentary around a Lego design competition leading to a position. Something along the lines of the "Indie Game" movie documentary. I can't really see it as an ongoing reality show however?

The next question is how many of us on Eurobricks will sign up to be contestants? :laugh: Which country will host the show?

The next question is how many of us on Eurobricks will sign up to be contestants? :laugh: Which country will host the show?

Let's pray that it isn't gonna happen in the US.

Well, I'd think it'd either be the US or Denmark. If not, probably either Sweden or the Czech Republic (since there are factories there). But I'd say the best bet would be the US or Denmark. I don't know how reality shows work- can you just "sign up" or would you have to be recruited?

"Imma bill me a gator trap...

This was hilarious.

There are some good American shows too like Chopped which only have a little bit of farce and mostly focus on the contestants' actual skill.

This and American Ninja Warrior (or the original Japanese, even though I don't know what they are saying) are the only reality/competition shows I can stand. If a Chopped-like format were adopted, where competitors are against each other as well as the clock--and have to feature specified ingredients elements--I could see that working quite well.

I am not sure how they could translate ANW to Lego, but I would probably watch it anyway.