Shadows

LEGO Confessions!

Inspired by the box and bag saving discussion in the EB News Jocko Interview, I felt compelled to start this thread.

Basically, this is the place where you admit to your little odd behaviours concerning LEGO.

I'll start it off, to be fair (though I did the box/bag confession in the original thread).

As suggested there, ziplock type bags are the best type for storing sets or sorted parts, assuming you don't have a wall of drawers and containers to use. With that in mind, I collect said bags. If I go in a store and they have them on sale, I might end up buying 10 boxes, and if it's all I'm buying, people give me a funny look. One time, the girl at the register surprisingly asked what I was using so many small bags for (why do people think that's acceptable conversation?) and I said, "well, you didn't have any big enough for body parts, so I'll just have to use a lot of these." Then I smiled a sort of evil demented smile (some say it's my normal one), paid, and left. >:-)

The extension of this is Bricklink orders. I love a good Bricklink order where all the parts are sorted into 150 little bags, especially if the seller is somewhat inefficient about it. I've placed an order for 50 lots before and had them arrive in 100 little bags with 3 of something in one, 2 in another, and 5 more in a third bag. I combine them down and carefully put all of the spare bags away for future use.

Sometimes I think about how it would sound to explain this out loud. Expensive orders to feed my addiction to tiny chemical based materials in little baggies. Oh yeah, that's going on my resume.

So there, I've exposed a silly side of myself, and when I think of more, I'll continue it.

Until then, it's your turn! What strange things do you do with, because of, or when buying LEGO products? How about your embarassing moments with LEGO? You know you've had them, now share with the community and so will we and everyone will feel just a little bit better, or weirder, but closer nonetheless.

LEGO Quirks On! *y*

Confessions, eh? Well, as I stated in the other thread, I slide-tackled my friend for going at my Lego too fast.

We both cracked up becuase right after I did it I told him I've never known myself to be able to to that. :-D

i've talked about some of my quirks in plenty of other threads.

i know we talked about how i like each of my studs to either face forward or to the right (when applicable) when building in this thread.

and i know i've talked about how i only like bricks and plates without holes in the support bars (the "holed" ones i sell on BL.) ==>

support_bars01.jpg

also, when i buy a sealed set that includes a sticker sheet, i buy an extra copy of the sticker sheet off of BL, so that i can retain one "mint" and unused copy.

im also very particular about whether my vintage minifigs have an "X" or "four tooth" orientation under the torso (where the legs connect.) vintage minifigs that were re-released in the 2002 legends line have the "X" while the original versions have the four teeth connection ;-) i like the original releases.

im sure there are plenty of things i do without even thinking about it... maybe some of them will be brought out in this thread... as it has the makings to be very interesting X-D

- BM

Edited by Brick Miner

Confession huh? Well if you just ate lunch dont read this, JUst warning you, okay so one day i was watching a star trek movie (yes i am a nerd) I was building but i had to get up but i did not want to lose my piece so i put a 1 by 1 tile in my mouth and when i came back to my movie i breathed in and swalloed the piece and started chocking. So i ran to my kitchen and i started chugging water and my parents were un alarmed because i have over reacted before, So with me gasping for air I run to the sink gasping and cophing for air! As i poured water down my throught i started couphing up blood and then my parents relized something was wrong so while they were coming over i saw the piece go down the drain.

Drama queen :-P ;-)

Well... I keep my big set boxes... Oh and every catalog I can get... I have one from 1999 somwhere....

Drama queen :-P ;-)

Well... I keep my big set boxes... Oh and every catalog I can get... I have one from 1999 somwhere....

Damn it dude I nearly chocked to death! How about you swallow a lego and nearly choke to death!

Usualy a :-P or X-D or ;-) or :-D mean (jk).

And your still alive, thats whats important.

Stauder

also, when i buy a sealed set that includes a sticker sheet, i buy an extra copy of the sticker sheet off of BL, so that i can retain one "mint" and unused copy.

I've considered that before, but I never use the stickers at all, so I just slip them carefully in the instructions and then those go in the appropriate file folder. I do, however, buy cheap sticker sheets for sets I don't have, just to have them. Which is odd, since I don't ever use them either.

im also very particular about whether my vintage minifigs have an "X" or "four tooth" orientation under the torso (where the legs connect.) vintage minifigs that were re-released in the 2002 legends line have the "X" while the original versions have the four teeth connection ;-) i like the original releases.

Great. That makes me want to go through all of my eBay Pirate purchases to seperate out the old and new. Nice work, you've just given me a new quirk. *wacko* *y*

Usualy a :-P or X-D or ;-) or :-D mean (jk).

And your still alive, thats whats important.

Stauder

No, what would have been important is if he had managed to save the tile.

Clearly you've got some messed up perspective there. Oh, and did you notice how crazy interesting Brick Miner is? I think you need to send him a bunch of questions for a future interview! ;-)

No, what would have been important is if he had managed to save the tile.

Dont say that. You"ll get a pm from him saying he could have died... Trust me.... Ive had it happen |-/

But he has a point...

S

Edited by Stauder@55

That's it!? Dude, I've kept every catalog since '92, and they are all in nearly mint condition - they still smell new. Pluss I've got two in rags, one from '91 and one from '89.

For storing, and I do this to building instructions as well, pack them in plastic folders, which are then archived. Eliminates the need to punch holes in the instructions, too.

That's it!? Dude, I've kept every catalog since '92, and they are all in nearly mint condition - they still smell new. Pluss I've got two in rags, one from '91 and one from '89.

For storing, and I do this to building instructions as well, pack them in plastic folders, which are then archived. Eliminates the need to punch holes in the instructions, too.

I wasnt even born in '92! |-/ :-/ ;-)

Erm, if I build a set that uses, say, 1/1 "pips" as headlights, the LEGO logo has to be oriented the correct way up.

Sometimes I'll strip a model so the LEGO logo faces the "right" way or all the same way (as much as possible anyway).

If my kids have touched my Imperial parade in the living room I CANNOT leave the house without standing the troops up correctly to attention.

And Doug - I swallowed a piece of LEGO once, about 25 years ago in fact - I never saw it come out again...for all I know I am still part LEGO myself. I am a LEGO Cyborg!

Dr. S.

and i know i've talked about how i only like bricks and plates without holes in the support bars (the "holed" ones i sell on BL.) ==>

support_bars01.jpg

I don't have as much a problem with one or the other kind, but I do object to combining both kinds in one model. I try to build my models with either one or the other, to stay true to one style.

I wasnt even born in '92! |-/ :-/ ;-)

Then I got both LEGO and catalogs that are older than you, LOL. Yes, I also saved every catalog since about '89. Actually, a friend got me an Austrian one (or at least I think it's Austrian) from '89, with an added page of the (then) new Pirates theme which wasn't in the Dutch version. Too bad it's far from in mint condition, like most of the older catalogs in my collection.

Erm, if I build a set that uses, say, 1/1 "pips" as headlights, the LEGO logo has to be oriented the correct way up.

Sometimes I'll strip a model so the LEGO logo faces the "right" way or all the same way (as much as possible anyway).

I do that too. Also, I despise (maybe not that much but still...) single fig auctions, for licensed figs. This really hampers my collection of Star Wars, as I cannot just get the EpII Clone or Jango or Burnt Anakin (but I have him anyway) or Green EpIII Clones. Or the Spider-Man figs (which came out in my dark age from standard brick sets) and that annoys me as I am a huge Spider-Fan. I have to have the set it comes in. With the box. And instructions. This also applies to figs which are specific characters in LEGO made lines. Like the Piraka/Inika minifigs (but I have those now anyway) or the Castle line's Skeleton Captain, Evil Wizard or King.

Also, I keep the boxes of my sets too, but this more to store them when I am done with them.

Edited by Bionic-Sun

I don't have any confessions to make, well at least not for LEGO

I have more than enough weird quirks and obsessions in real life though *sad*

Bring

Oh and every catalog I can get... I have one from 1999 somwhere....

Dude That's pathetic. I have one from 1986, in perfect mint, that I got from my cousin. Its do mint, my three-year-old cousin tried to fill out the order form!

Dude That's pathetic. I have one from 1986, in perfect mint, that I got from my cousin. Its do mint, my three-year-old cousin tried to fill out the order form!

Well MISTER, I happen to have one from '72 in mint condition. It was passd down to me by my father who got it from his father who got it from his... (er, no sorry, wrong one X-D). He got it from set 353, I think, which I still have built and complete with its box (I love those old trees, they look so much better than the regular ones).

I also keep all of my catalogues. I've got them all since '89 (year of my very first set) to nowadays plus another one from '79 which I don't know where it comes from

I still love skimming through them, it shows so much how LEGO has evolved in every way.

Apart from that, I'm also one of those who check that every little LEGO mark on the studs is facing the right way on the overall model. ;-)

So? Im not afol. Im a tfol. Jeez... :-/ |-/

I've considered that before, but I never use the stickers at all, so I just slip them carefully in the instructions and then those go in the appropriate file folder. I do, however, buy cheap sticker sheets for sets I don't have, just to have them. Which is odd, since I don't ever use them either.
wow, i thought i was surely the only one who considered this... i just figured i wanted to keep the sets as mint as possible - including an unused sticker sheet.
Great. That makes me want to go through all of my eBay Pirate purchases to seperate out the old and new. Nice work, you've just given me a new quirk. *wacko* *y*
:-D gottcha ;-) but im the same with my western figs... i only collect the original versions.

--------------------------------------------------

I don't have as much a problem with one or the other kind, but I do object to combining both kinds in one model. I try to build my models with either one or the other, to stay true to one style.
ya, that's true... for my old style MOCs (like my western ones styled after 1996 building) i use the older "filled" support tubes and the old brown and grey colors. and for my more recent styled MOCs (ones that go with my city 2007 collection) i use always use the newer "holed" support tubes and the new brown and grey colors.

so that is true - using one style per MOC.

but you know, LEGO doesn't even do this... all of my AquaRaiders sets came with both styles. really strange |-/

--------------------------------------------------

oh, and i don't even consider saving boxes and catalogs a strange quirk... i even save every piece of plastic and cardboard packaging (including bags and trays)... eveything that comes with the set i save.

- BM