DarthSion

Topic title editing requests

How does one edit the sub heading thing for a post, i made a thread a few days ago in the media/games section and said that the republic heroes star wars game was rumoured, but today i posted in the link is been confirmed, so how to i change it so the sub heading says confirmed.

Reporting it didnt seem right, and i didnt see anywhere to change it.

Only moderators can do that for you :( I think it would be nice to have that feature available for all users. I don't really know the logical reason behind it. It must be time consuming for moderators to handle all the title change requests. I wouldn't like to bother them for a typo I make in the tittle ?? I dunno ...

You can't change it, I don't know why.

Maybe it's got something to do with the topic title being approved, but then edited to say something obscene... :tongue:

Edited by Darth Legolas

You can't change it, I don't know why.

Maybe it's got something to do with the topic title being approved, but then edited to say something obscene... :tongue:

You're obscene :wink: I've made many typos that were never fixed. Its annoy that you cant change it but a admin useally will help.

As far as I know, anyone with a certain level of moderation powers and up (Fellows, Shipyard Editors, Moderators, etc.) can edit the topic title and subheading of their own topics.

Unfortunately, it's something which is not available as a general usage for members. Therefore, it's strongly adviced before you create a topic, it's a good habit to look through your topic title and description before posting them live.

Drop us a pm to any of the staff online with your request, and we will help to process them. However, do give us time to react accordingly.

I will lock this topic, since this question has been answered. If you have any further questions, drop me a message for further enquires.

Thanks.

I think this has been asked before, but I can't find it, so:

Every time I have a topic title typo I look like a big, fat, belligerent idiot (did that make you laugh?) and I have to wait for the moderators to fix it. I know I've never seen it on a forum before, but why not?

I'm not asking for it, just the reasoning behind it. Does it have something to do with a title approval system, so after the title gets approved people can't edit so it isn't obscene? :wacko:

That's odd. I know I can edit my own title/subtitle....

This may be a stupid question to ask, but are you clicking "Full edit"? Not to assume you are stupid, however. :wink: I know it appears right above my edit box when I click on the first post.

I believe the reason is so that people don't change threads, and cause a lot of confusion between members who didn't know about the change. You can edit polls if you are in full editor.

Oh, and Mr. Mandalorian, you are a Fellow, after all :wink:.

I believe the reason is so that people don't change threads, and cause a lot of confusion between members who didn't know about the change. You can edit polls if you are in full editor.

Oh, and Mr. Mandalorian, you are a Fellow, after all :wink:.

That's probably it, but I swear that I could before... Maybe it was just polls.

That's probably it, but I swear that I could before... Maybe it was just polls.

That was a long time ago. I don't know about this, but I know other things have changed.

I am fairly sure that I have answered this question before...

If this ability is given, you can imagine yourself in a situation where members in general could be changing titles without us knowing it, from "Context A" to "Context B". From point to point, as discussion progress, the creator of the topic will be changing title without us knowing, and giving the entire discussion as a whole much harder to follow in terms of its orignal intended discussion, or in most cases, the Staff and the Community itself will be scratching their heads wondering if this is a new topic or something that has been adjusted to suit the current discussion.

Therefore, simple spelling mistakes and others of such, you could drop a PM to the Staff and request for the title or description change, stating your reason to do so, and we will make the amendments accordingly. In this way, it's properly controlled and monitored.

Thanks.

I too was never able to edit titles when i've made a post. I'm able to edit its content though. But i guess theres a positive and negative aspect as it won't be too confusing for other members.

I used to be able to do this, but not anymore :wacko:

Really? I don't recall being able to do it when I first joined. For what it's worth, there hasn't been any recent decision to change this. It might have changed the last time we re-installed the site, but I just looked at the old board settings and the permission was only enabled for Fellows, just the same as here.

People should read again what they wrote before pressing the 'post' button. That would be great ! :classic:

People should read again what they wrote before pressing the 'post' button. That would be great ! :classic:

:tongue: It's a rare day when I don't preview a topic at least three times!

:tongue: It's a rare day when I don't preview a topic at least three times!

And that's the way it should be. Not allowing changes to topic titles may make people think twice before starting topics in the first place and certainly should encourage them to review before hitting the post button.

I'm guilty of editng my posts about a thousand times a day due to my brilliant spelling mistakes but I always double read my topic titles. As a moderator on 2 other sites, this is equally important in almost any forum. Especially if any sales happen or anything where a record is needed, plus it helps weed out spammers or troublemakers.

I'm guilty of editng my posts about a thousand times a day due to my brilliant spelling mistakes but I always double read my topic titles. As a moderator on 2 other sites, this is equally important in almost any forum. Especially if any sales happen or anything where a record is needed, plus it helps weed out spammers or troublemakers.

As am I... which is why I brought this topic up 4 months ago... :tongue:

I guess if people still want to talk about it, then I'm fine.

Edited by Darth Legolas

Really? I don't recall being able to do it when I first joined. For what it's worth, there hasn't been any recent decision to change this. It might have changed the last time we re-installed the site, but I just looked at the old board settings and the permission was only enabled for Fellows, just the same as here.

Well, I joined before you so maybe it was changed before you joined. :sceptic:

I'm guilty of editng my posts about a thousand times a day due to my brilliant spelling mistakes but I always double read my topic titles.

Same here. I always double-check my own topics, but not so much my posts.

I think it would be very helpful if every user had the option of changing the title of their topic and topic description. I've had to do it a couple of times, and I wish I didn't have to PM an admin every time I wanted to do so. It would be nice for us non-admins, and would ease the load for all you admins.

:pir_yoda:

I think it would be very helpful if every user had the option of changing the title of their topic and topic description. I've had to do it a couple of times, and I wish I didn't have to PM an admin every time I wanted to do so. It would be nice for us non-admins, and would ease the load for all you admins.

:pir_yoda:

This question has been answered before. If you want to ease the load on admins a good start would be looking back at least a few months to see if a question has been asked and answered before. I have merged your topic with the last one.

But in short, at this stage this is the way it is.

Whoa... board! Please pay attention! Why does this topic have my topic title, but DarthSion's topic?

Oh, I see. In the merger you used my topic title! What an honor! :tongue:

Edited by Darth Legolas

Whoa... board! Please pay attention! Why does this topic have my topic title, but DarthSion's topic?

Oh, I see. In the merger you used my topic title! What an honor! :tongue:

I liked your title better. :wink: