Esben Kolind

MOC: Power Functions Commuter Train with automatic sliding doors

Hello,

Some months ago I posted my Power Functions High Speed Train with automatic doors. Although the door opening technique was novel, it wasn't very realistic and the construction didn't allow for train interior.

So I set out to make an even better door opening mechanism and this is the result:

Did you notice the retracting stairs and the lights flashing when the doors were closing?

Below are all the details about the train, see all the pictures in my Brickshelf folder.

all4.jpg

The train makes use of Power Functions to control the following features:

• Train speed (adjustable)
  • 3 front lights and light in the driver's cabin (adjustable)
  • Sliding doors, retracting stairs and lights (on/off)
  • Interior light in cabin (on/off)

Train front

The train front is mostly SNOT and has three working PF head lights. I thought I might as well use the last light for interior light in the driver's cabin. See this picture for a cut away view of the consruction of the front.

front1.jpg

night1.jpg

Sliding doors

The mechanism for the sliding doors is hidden below the center car allowing for full interior. It uses the 9V micro motor, some gearing and liftarms. The lights above the doors use an old 9V light and shine constantly when the doors open and flash when the doors close. The retracting stairs... well, see the video and the pictures, it's pretty hard to explain.

doors5.jpg

doors6.jpg

tech5.jpg

tech2.jpg

tech6.jpg

Interior light

Well, I had one IR channel left, so I added some interior light in one of the cabins:

tech1.jpg

night3.jpg

Front cars

One car is stuffed with Power Functions gear: 1 rechargeable battery box, 2 infrared receivers, 3 PF light cables (= 6 lights), 2 PF->9V cables and 3 9V cables.

The other one has a standard passenger train interior.

tech3.jpg

img_2618.jpg

I think that was it. I really look forward to your comments.

Esben

Very impressive! I just love how you even managed to make the stairs come out, and all of this was contained within a 6-wide train. Great job! :thumbup:

Wow.

Wow.

Erm.

Wow.

Great idea.... for the doors especially.

That's just amazing.

Simply amazing.

It's a shame you couldn't get the doors working on both sides of the train, though. But considering the mechanism used, fully understandable. (Also, more than I could do. Again, simply amazing!)

The technical aspects of your design make this creation very unique and special. So often it seems like a lot of aesthetic design elements have to be sacrificed when incorporating so many power functions but you have designed a train that seems very real with a very comfortable minifigure scale. Great job!

OMG!!!

I'm speechless, the ingenuity of this MOC is ..... beyond reason. I've been looking at this for some time now and still am puzzled by some of the aspects of the build.

Both the new and old version of your automatic doors are outstanding, I'm not much of a train fan but this is at the top of my favorite techniques/builds!!!!!!

Thanks for sharing the technique too, it's most appreciated.

Now If I could only find my jaw .... it dropped earlier!

Pirate

OMG!!!

I'm speechless, the ingenuity of this MOC is ..... beyond reason. I've been looking at this for some time now and still am puzzled by some of the aspects of the build.

Both the new and old version of your automatic doors are outstanding, I'm not much of a train fan but this is at the top of my favorite techniques/builds!!!!!!

Thanks for sharing the technique too, it's most appreciated.

Now If I could only find my jaw .... it dropped earlier!

Pirate

I totally agree with you, Piratedave84. :grin: MOCs like this one make me really happy to have discovered Eurobricks. :sweet: The retracting stairs are especially awesome. :thumbup:

By the way, might I suggest checking the floor for your jaw? That's where I found mine. :tongue:

-Toa Of Justice

wow wow wow I rarely visit Train section and even less Technic section but always when I do I understand that LEGO is not only a toy but serious engineering tool :classic:

Excellent detailing, specially the mechanisms.

Thanks or sharing.

Just what do we say really to sheer genius...........AWESOME..............FANTASTIC..........PERFECT ! :grin:

The lighting system and that dam awesome mechanical door system - man, that is so COOL !

The bar has been raised - 'The Brickster' needs to FP it !

I'm a conformist! 'Esben Kolind' really I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

AWESOME!

I wouldn't have believed it was possible without video!! Thanks for sharing the design details!! I wish I had the skills and pieces to replicate it.

Awesome work Esben! The way the doors push out the steps is sheer genius!

I'd say both your PF trains make a strong case for Lego to do a PF micro motor

That is probably one of the coolest features I have ever seen in a LEGO model :thumbup:

Deeply impressed. The whole train is a great creation as a matter of fact.

Esben Kolind, this moc of yours have simply made me feel so incredibly delighted about it and it made me feel so happy to blog this as well inside Classic-Town.net. The mechanics combined by using power function is truly incredible and unbelievable especially with the integration of automatic moving slide doors, platform, working front and lights are the exact playing components for any true LEGO Train lovers. :wub:

Thanks for sharing this with us.

bloggedct.png

Very cool, I have a feeling your going to raise the bar for train people. Good use of technic!

After i saw your train i satin a dark corner of a room and cried :cry_sad: - knowing that i could never make something that good. No really thats outstanding :thumbup: , I wish TLG would make one :wub: . Keep up the good work.

Thanks, cb

My post will not surprise anyone, but I need to tell you how impressed I am by your train and all its features. I will not comment what has already widely been, but I wished to ask you the following question: how the heck did you manage to use the old 9v lights with the new PF devices? Are they to be controlled seperately or by cheating or is there an approved/official way to make them work together? Since I do own PF parts, I have absolutely no idea of what it is capable of/compatible with.

My post will not surprise anyone, but I need to tell you how impressed I am by your train and all its features. I will not comment what has already widely been, but I wished to ask you the following question: how the heck did you manage to use the old 9v lights with the new PF devices? Are they to be controlled seperately or by cheating or is there an approved/official way to make them work together? Since I do own PF parts, I have absolutely no idea of what it is capable of/compatible with.

TLG's extension cables for the Power Functions are all compatible with 9V equipment.

8886-0000-xx-12-1.jpg