brickzone

MOD - Soldiers' Fort plus revamped Imperial Trading Post

thindexedgif.gif Military 13a

Well, I had some fun building the new Pirates sets. When building the Soldiers' Fort (last set I built), I mused about the differences compared to the old Imperial building style. I then took it into my head to build the Imperial Trading Post, with as little amendment as possible but focussing on using tan, brown, updated parts in places and one or two colour changes to mix with Soldiers' Fort (e.g. bley for the supports instead of black).

Here are the results:

front.jpg

justfort.jpg

side.jpg

I didn't actually use my existing Imperial Trading Post to do this, just used a damaged duplicate baseplate and my existing parts (thanks to Harry Potter for the tan bricks, Agents and Skeleton Ship Attack for the dark blue, I think the main crane line is from the Viking ship). It isn't shown in the photo, but I had to use white flaps for the doors in the roof of the little hut - and I only had one modern click one, and could only find a yellowed old one, so that's a bit of a pity, but it looks reasonable. Also I did not have white 45 degree bricks or I would have used them - had to make do with the black ones from Merlin's workshop.

I'm pleased with the extension of the gangway in front of the 3D baseplate to four wide. I built onto the exposed rear faces of the inverted slopes holding it up to create simple supports.

EDIT: I've now created an updated version of the trading post merchant ship:

The merchant enters the port, just checking the horizon for pursuers. His crewman is more interested in his chicken.

enterport.jpg

The precious cargo is unloaded. While engaging the governer in conversation, the merchantsomewhat foolishly remarks about how wonderful his telescope is. This elicits a violent reaction from the governer, who cannot countenance the idea of someone having a better telescope than he has.

unload.jpg

Mr. Merchant retreats to the relative safety of his ship, taking a cutlass down from the mast to arm himself in case that slightly unhinged governer comes after him! His crewman meanwhile settles down to his chicken... little does he know someone else covets it! Ooops, the crane operator isn't watching what he's doing. The box is being lowered right on top of the governer!

retreat.jpg

The cargo of gems safely lands on the dock, but poor governer gets to go for a swim. Meanwhile one of the soldiers has taken the crewman's chicken - time for muskets...

sideship.jpg

Time to go... a parting shot to the chicken robber. Mr. Merchant ponders the fact that his telescope is perhaps not so great after all, it doesn't compare well to the size of the fish they are carrying.

leaving.jpg

And yes, I'll have to get a better camera than that of my phone sometime. Just to note that the reddish colour on the ship is dark red (although the "figurehead" and top flag are red).

Edited by SlyOwl

This is pretty good, The little white ship is very nice

Edited by Broadside

I like this. It actually shows that the new bricks and colours offer great possibilities to enhance existing sets and MOCs.

I only feel sorry TLG barely includes any baseplates in their current sets, the Pirates sets have none (except for the weird Loot Island plate).

That's a great looking fort! Could easily be mistaken for an actual set released by TLG; heck, I would buy it. :pir_laugh2:

Nice addition to the Soldier's Fort. I like the fact it looks almost exactly like the Imperial Trading Post. Love the new colours used in it. :pir-blush:

Great work! :thumbup:

Very nice work Brickzone, the new colors and the well done layout make this a work of art. :thumbup:

Only thing i don't like are the dark blue roofs, perhaps some dark red ones would be nicer and more realistic.

That is a really nice Merchant Vessel you have there! Looks a lot bigger then the original one too.

Good job, I like your MODs :thumbup: .

Thanks. I tried to minimise the modifications - because for one thing, the sails are a fixed size. I quickly dropped the idea of using the wide bow pieces from the Dr. Inferno boat from Agents. However, the 6/8 wide of the original was just too cramped and not like a modern Lego design. So this version is 8 wide, although keeping the 6-wide bow (hence some SNOT curve bricks used). The sides are 2/3s of a brick higher. Also the stern is a brick taller, and slightly longer. The prow is much the same, but a brick higher of a bow and with "figurehead" added to it (best I could do was a crab!).

It was fun to do, and I'm happy enough with how it turned out, although the sides of the stern are a bit too flat. I did try a wider and bigger stern, but that looked wrong and disproportionate.

Those are some pretty sweet telescopes :pir-tongue: ! love the MOD, i never had any of the classic sets!

P.S. for a camera phone those are some fantastic pictures!

Nice! Now if only LEGO will just take the hint and design future Soldier and civilian "waterfront" buildings as a "bolt-on extension" with similar modular architecture... I mean, you've blended the old ITP in near-seamlessly, so why can't they do the same looking to the old designs as a baseline to "modernize"?