Sign in to follow this  
The Daphne Blue Strat

HMS Charity

On this Day, the Eleventh of February in the Year of Our Lord Seventeen-Hundred-and-Eighty-One, in the Shipyards of the Island of Janssen, the Keel was layed of His Majesty King George III's newest Sloop of War, the Charity.

"We anticipate that she will be fitted with a broadside of twelve guns, as well as a pair of chasers fore and aft. Details of our first cruise cannot yet be disclosed," commented Lieutenant James McGready; Lieutenant McGready has received Orders to be Senior Lieuteant aboard the Charity, once she is Completed.

Further Details will be Forthcoming, pending more official Statements by shipwrights L. Jones and J. Becker.

(AKA pictures, when I get time after classes today; just wanted to get the thread started. She will be five center-pieces long; rigging will be worked out later)

That sounds very promising.

I like the story, I like the name.

I'll be waiting for those pics ;-)

Oh and if you would take pics,

make sure they're blurry. *y*

That seems to be the trend as of late. :-D

Oh and if you would take pics,

make sure they're blurry. *y*

That seems to be the trend as of late. :-D

I'll try my hardest. :-P

Actually it's funny that you say that. While attempting to get pictures of Messrs. Jones and Becker, I discovered that my camera's autofocus is too (lame? old? shitty?) to capture minifigs with any degree of visibility. So...yikes. I do have some pictures of the construction to share, though:

image001.jpg

Here's the hull. Nothing else yet...the red stripe *might* go in favor of white slopes (for the whole tumblehome thing).

image002.jpg

The gundeck, with cannons in position to show the spacing I will be using.

Obviously not too much to look at yet, but work should proceed soon...

For photografing minifigs it is best to use manual focus.

I take all my pics on manua settings, it really pays off to play with those functions.

My camera is about 5 years old, but still does the job.

My, my, you do have a lot of cannons, i might need to attack her before she's done :-P

For photografing minifigs it is best to use manual focus.

I take all my pics on manua settings, it really pays off to play with those functions.

My camera is about 5 years old, but still does the job.

My, my, you do have a lot of cannons, i might need to attack her before she's done :-P

If I had the manual for my camera I would try manual focus...as it is I can't figure out for the life of me how to do it!

This is looking fine my friend, I see you already have a decent amount of firepower. What would a warship be without them!

I asume you bought those guns via BL or so. Did you buy the non-shooting ones on purpose, or were those the only ones available?

Actually no. I have only Bricklinked four cannons. All of the rest of them I assembled through hard work and set purchases...I have two Red Beard Runners (6) a Black Seas Barracuda (4) a Renegade Runner (1) a couple Western sets (I switched the brown cannon bases for the red ones from my sister's BSB)...If I could afford to Bricklink cannons I'd have quite a few more...

Oh, and I will never buy shooting cannons...I don't like how they look in the first place, and even if I did they wouldn't match my existing cannons.

Edited by The Daphne Blue Strat

Yes, those non shooting cannons are way nicer! *y*

Too bad i don't have any |-/

Will you be adding wheels to them?

I'm going to experiment with having wheels in front and a 2x1 plate in the back...as I don't have enough wheels to do all the guns. If that doesn't work out I'll put the cannons that are on the gundeck on sliders or mount them some other way.

((More pictures...!))

Mr. Jones, Shipwright and Designer of the Mechanical Workings of HMS Charity, reported this day that the Installation of the Anchor Capstan has been Completed.

image007.jpg

((It's basically the head-rotator-system from the new ATST set...but it works like a dandy!))

Additionally, Mr. Becker, Shipwright and Master Carpenter of HMS Charity, stated that Progress on the Hull has been Delayed, pending arrival of an order of Timber. Minor Portions of the Hull have been Completed, so as to allow for the Installation of the Anchor Capstan.

image011.jpg

((I decided to go with 2 studs between every cannon rather than 4, for various design reasons...there will now be 11 cannons per side, all on the gundeck))

That capstan is looking good!

((I decided to go with 2 studs between every cannon rather than 4, for various design reasons...there will now be 11 cannons per side, all on the gundeck))

Are you sure? 2 Studs isn't very realistic, while 4 is. *sweet*

This is a good point...I'll have to mess around with that some. Parts are arriving (had to bricklink a load of the 2x2x2 slopes for tumblehome), so I'll have resources to experiment more.

Thanks for the input, guys!

I concur with Mr. Tiber *y*

With lego cannons i think a minimum should be 6 studs from center of gun port to center of gun port.

In my replica of the constitution, the gun ports are 8-9 studs apart from center of gun port to center of gunport.

Great capstan too,

I love that it's fully functional too.

It adds playability realism to MOCs. X-D

P

((It's mostly finished!))

On this Day, the Twenty-Sixth of February in the Year Of Our Lord Seventeen-Hundred-and-Eighty-Two, One Year and Fifteen Days after Construction of His Majesty King George III's newest vessel was Announced, the Completion of Said Vessel was Also Announced. The Vessel, a Ship-Rigged Frigate of the Sixth Rate which shall soon be Christened Charity, was Designed and Constructed by Master Shipbuilders Mssrs. Levi Jones and John Becker.

The Vessel shall Carry a Broadside of Fourteen Guns, and she Shall Be Commanded by Captain Alistair MacCorwin, formerly Commander of His Majestys' Cutter Epsilon. Names of Other Officers shall be Released, once All Appointments are made.

image012.jpg

image013.jpg

image014.jpg

image015.jpg

image016.jpg

image017.jpg

((Sails will be made...later. Over Spring Break, probably. It's not the most detailed ship, I'm well aware...but it's my first major project in a long time. Comments?))

Edited by The Daphne Blue Strat

Wow, this is a nice surprise!

I love the looks and overall design of this ship!

Haven't seen this color scheme before, but is most certainly works.

And it has the famous "thumblehome effect".

The only part that needs a bit of work is the stern which looks a bit blocky in contrast to the rest of the ship. Also I'm not a big fan of those windows with the hatches. Besides this, I can offer no suggestions for improvements.

I like it! Maybe a bit heavily armed for a sloop. And sloops historicaly only had 1 mast but a cool MOC anyway. Well done.

Regards, Captain Zuloo *y*

Nice work so far *y*

I like the tumble home effect.

It's done real well.

This looks really good.

The unique color scheme works real well too.

I'd almost classify this ship as a small frigate.

Or maybe a corvette (which i think is a ship one size smaller than a frigate) with its 16 gun gundeck.

But it's your ship, you call it what you like.

Are you referencing any real life ships,

or are you just trying to make an awesome ship?

P

In the final post's text I actually did describe it as a 6th-rate frigate, although "corvette" may be a more accurate description. I didn't have any real ships in mind when I built it, just tried to keep it clean and simple.

Any criticisms?

It's looking promising in the little glimpses you're giving us. Maybe it'll be a suitable candidate for the Front Page News of Classic-Pirates.com.

Looking good. I am just staring my collection of ship pieces! I dream that one day I can build a ship as nice as this.

Keep the pics coming.