Sign in to follow this  
Sir Norman Ray

Garrison Portobello

Lieutenant Colonel Blake looked at his surroundings. He had been based at the Shoeburryness Garrison in Essex, looking after 2nd Battalion. But the fortunes of war had meant he had to take the Battalion to Spain. Where he had been a good drill master, he had trouble in the field. Several mistakes seen by Sir Ray had caused much talking behind closed tent flabs between Blake, Ray and Colonel Sibley of 1st Battalion. He had just so happened, a new garrison had become open, and Wellington needed it manned by a good Organizer. Blake and a lot of 2nd Battalion were quickly transfered.

Blake was distraught at the sight in front of him. What he had to work with was his men, some local labourers, Engineers from Wellington's staff and a crumbling castle, well past its prime. Blake had inspected the walls, the base, the men, EVERYTHING, and nothing got better. Black, the Irish Major of the Engineers, handed Blake a glass and poured some rum in it. "Now, ya see Blake, I dun think this a bad place, all it needs is a lick of paint, and it would be grand." Blake looked at the drink and at the Irishman. "The most we could turn this into is a stable, and thats with twenty years planning and hard work..." Black laughed at the man from Essex. "Ah, it'll suit you Protestants just right then!" Blake laughed and sipped the rum. "Well, it's better then sleeping in a field." Black took a swig straight from the bottle and looked Blake straight in the eye and said:

"About that, did you want the cell with the rats or with the leaking sewage?"

17ol8.jpg

18tt8.jpg

19bd8.jpg

20ur5.jpg

22lt3.jpg

21nn7.jpg

"Seriously, the sewage isn't THAT bad, and neither are the rats!"

This is an MOC in progress, growing over time. Expect modern things. LIKE WALLS! So yeah, advice will be nice to be honest *sweet*

Well, its...............simple, I guess. ;-) But seriously, I'm interested to see what you can do with that baseplate with walls, turrents maybe, etc. Personally, I think that baseplate may work better for a pirate base instead of an imperial guard base because of the black/light gray exposed patches of bricks, but this should be unique! *sweet*

Well, there's nothing but soldiers on there yet so here are my suggestions:

The lower middle part can be a dungeon for Pirates, on each of the four ends of the baseplate should be a turret with a cannon on top, they should be connected with a wall and in the inside should be a guvernor's office and some beds for the soldiers. Everything should be in yellow/white, sticking to the pirate theme.

These were my suggestions, of course, you can do it completely different ;-)

Happy building, I can't wait to see the result ;-)

Well, its...............simple, I guess. ;-) But seriously, I'm interested to see what you can do with that baseplate

Yeah, do something interesting with the base plate!

Thanks for the comments *sweet*

I chose this base due to it's rarity, size and shape. The design on it I find is freaking cool, and it was suggested by a good friend of mine. I have three of the other base plate, but none are suitable for a land base. Ones the sea one, moon one and the other arctic. The colour scheme I found perfect for the idea of a ruined castle being occupied theme

Wall's and such are due, and I want to build it up from there, though these will be grey and black. Once again, this idea this a fort to stop attackers, not a fancy fort. WE dont HAVE fancy in ESSEX!

So yeah, I hope to update as often as possible, as right now, all I have is a rather hollow shell.

Gentlemen.

This set: 6090-1.jpg Mister Phes.

It's a nice story, but Blake should realy be drinking wine, rum isn't very classy at all X-D . The Pictures are neat, lots of soldiers, no lack of them at all. They'll do good. :capn:

This set: 6090-1.jpg Mister Phes.

It's a nice story, but Blake should realy be drinking wine, rum isn't very classy at all X-D . The Pictures are neat, lots of soldiers, no lack of them at all. They'll do good. :capn:

Yeah, its rum, simply because Black is an Irishman. I don't think Guinness was around at the time, and whiskey is too high class, and rum was a traditional British ration at the time. I believe soldiers were allowed a half pint of rum a day.

As for my troops, yeah, there's a LOT. Half of all my new men are being assigned to the Garrison, as I need another base for my troops... But yeah, you have to occupy the fort with enough men. When I get walls and such in, I'll probably get more cannons and Engineers in it, until that time though, we have two cannon and 5 Engineers.

It would be awesome if there was a Pirate theme version of that baseplate.

Yeah, there should have been. Maybe when LEGO finally gets round to making more, they'll make a new Fort for the Imperials and use this base, so its bigger and such :)

No photo updates today, as no walls I'm waiting for have arrived, sorry.

By the way... Which set is that base plate from?

Mister Phes, how could you not know which set its from!? :-D ............ ;-)

It would be awesome if there was a Pirate theme version of that baseplate.

I agree, but sadly those old school baseplates with the pits and ramps, and this one with stairs, are probably not in production anymore. But while the still were, LEGO could have done some cool things, since the pirate theme was out during the release of this plate. If I'm correct, this is the only pattern on this shape baseplate. I used to have it, but not any more. For some reason, the only raised plates for pirate sets were the ones with the pit and ramp, right? X-D

If I'm correct, this is the only pattern on this shape baseplate. I used to have it, but not any more. For some reason, the only raised plates for pirate sets were the ones with the pit and ramp, right? X-D

Aye, very true,I wonder why that is though. It was a grand base...

Aye, very true,I wonder why that is though. It was a grand base...

Well, with it's lack of walls, it really resembles Fort Raleigh, (Roanoke Island, NC, USA). Which is basically a tall, fort-shaped earthen embankment surrounded by a ditch. ;-)

Hey Sah,

Will you be expanding this fort upwards in the near future?

P

Hey Sah,

Will you be expanding this fort upwards in the near future?

P

But of course! I had to take a picture of it, cos I kept kicking the base and needed to get this thread started. I also wanted some suggestions on what to do really. Though looking at it at times, it could also be a bunker of some sort, say from WW2. Upwards and onwards as they say, though, knowing my luck, it'll get bigger then I planned.

Edward_Lowe, we'll have no Colonial influence here! We are British, masters of the world! :-P

Oi! The South Essex must be the slowest soldiers in the whole army! :-P

But seriously, any progress or should you take it off your sig? *sweet*

Ha, what do you expect. In Essex we sit around swearing and drinking cider!

Nah, I did start going far on this with a sort of, hasty fort design. The baseplate staying as it is, the storeroom and prison into the giant hole thing. The first floor being over that which would be stone walls, which would act as a mess hall. The next floor would be wooden and would be the main barracks.

The problem's at the moment are:

Mortgage: Getting a house so cash is tight. I think I have all the materials I need, but my luck is I need more.

Space: My current room is so small, I can't even play my Wii. See that bed in the pics? Thats my chair as well.

Work: IT NEVER ENDS

Family: I don't like them nosing into my business.

In Essex we sit around swearing and drinking cider

Now that's what I call garrison duty!

Family: I don't like them nosing into my business.

I hear that!

My family keeps insisting that they should be allowed to use the kitchen table AND my two-year old thinks that he should be able to play with daddy's toys if they are sitting on said table!

Good luck! *sweet*