Sign in to follow this  
Brik-el

Anybody else nail their tracks down?

traintech1.jpg

I was just wondering if you fellow AFOL's nail your tracks down or just use other bricks to keep them flat.

Let me know what you guys do, and what is possibly the better of the two ways to do it. :classic:

I was just wondering if you fellow AFOL's nail your tracks down or just use other bricks to keep them flat.

Let me know what you guys do, and what is possibly the better of the two ways to do it. :classic:

If two tracks are near each other, I connect them with plates. If a track is by itself, I sometimes use scotch tape to hold it in place. Especially when the track is right on the edge of the table then I make sure it doesn't shift to prevent trains from falling on the garage floor.

You do what *huh**oh2* ?

You do what *huh**oh2* ?

Don't worry, the tracks have holes in each end, so I imagine he is putting the nails there and not damaging any parts :wink:

Don't worry, the tracks have holes in each end, so I imagine he is putting the nails there and not damaging any parts :wink:

You missed the joke but added a lot more to it. :wacko:

You missed the joke but added a lot more to it. :wacko:

Hahahaaa.

on topic.

At the moment not using non-lego parts to secure my track to the table (GF wouldn't want me to damage the table anyway).

In the same spirit, do any of you use foam/cork or other roadbeds under your tracks to help with the noise and ride, or is it overkill? I was wondering if would improve things. On the other hand, the rail gaps and the absence of any suspension on the trains are perhaps worse noise offenders than the roadbed itself.

*huh* I most certainly would not! :angry:

I want to be able to move tracks around on my table in order to clean it off.

In the same spirit, do any of you use foam/cork or other roadbeds under your tracks to help with the noise and ride, or is it overkill? I was wondering if would improve things. On the other hand, the rail gaps and the absence of any suspension on the trains are perhaps worse noise offenders than the roadbed itself.

Interesting thought.

I've been staying out of the debate, but the tracks do have holes (for screws, not nails... and get your heads out of the gutter). I hadn't given it much thought because I don't currently have a table, but coming to the LEGO hobby from a traditional train hobby, it doesn't sound like a bad idea, and you can always unscrew it if you want to.

I'm planning on using the O-Gauge modification for LEGO for the bulk of my rail when I do set up a table - not just because it's flexible and you can make larger radius curves, but for the straight sections, too. I imagine the best way to hold it in place will be to screw it down, and using a cork roadbed doesn't sound terrible... I guess I'd have to experiment, although which size prefabricated roadbed would work the best? And is it close enough to some multiple of plate heights so you can cover it?

Ultimately, I don't think roadbed is necessary, although I'm not adverse to mixing some traditional model railroad elements with pure LEGO.... perhaps a foam bed with real gravel ballast would look good.