Sign in to follow this  
UsernameMDM

Heroica RPG - Quest #20: Missing Minerals!

QUEST #20 - Missing Minerals!

The chosen adventurers arrive at the back door of the Miners' Guild meeting hall.

6053295509_408d809eab_t.jpg

Tarn Valco, Level 10 Barbarian, 21 year old human male ***PARTY LEADER***

Power: 20 Health: 17/17 Gold: 45

Inventory: Kyrferath, a Battle Axe (WP: 10, Water Elemental, Hollow Blade (Mead equipped), Pole-axe (WP: 3), Mead x 2, Lightning Bomb, Potion x 2, Tonic, Venom, Smelling salts, Grand Potion, Spell of Sleep, Phoenix Essence, Shovel

6554986585_3185fc777a_t.jpg

Dak Shadeaux, Level 7 Rogue, 35 yeal old half-elf Mopag ***Acting PARTY LEADER***

Power: 14 Health: 13/13 Gold: 39

Inventory: Thgir Blade (WP:5), Mockthril Knife (Equipped)(WP:7), Twin Longswords (WP:3), Mockthril Whip (WP:4), 2 Venoms, 2 Potions, Bedroll, Shovel

av_guts.jpg

Guts Holla, Level 7 Rogue, 42 year old male human

Power: 14 Health: 13/13 Gold: 65

Inventory: Lifestealer (WP:7 attacks restore 3 health), Potion, Bedroll, Shovel

heroicarpgedited12.jpg

Knifk, Level 7 Knight, 30 year old male Orc

Power:14 Health: 16/16 Gold: 65

Inventory: Tfel Blade (WP:7), Mockthril Shield (SP:5), Potion

MISSING IMAGE

De'kra, Level 10 Rogue, 11 year old Male Shade

Power: 15 Health: 16/16 Gold: 28

Inventory: Pongcanis Dagger(WP:5, Electricity), Shadeaux Dagger(WP:5), Fang Dagger(WP:4), Cloak of the Blue Assassin(SP: 1), Cloak of the Elven Spy(loaned to Atramor), Bedroll, Venom (1), Potions (3), Pickaxe

ABERFORTHSWINDLEPORTRAIT.jpg

Aberforth Swindle, Level 1 Mage, 62 year old human

Power:4 Health: 5/5 Ether 5/5 Gold: 5

Inventory: Simple Staff (3 WP), Amethyst Gemstone, Musty Bedroll, 1 Potion

The man in the blue coat is waiting for them. He carries a short sword and cane.

"Good eve to you all. At this time, do please check and confirm or correct the information we were provided with by Heroica Hall. I do so pride myself in my accurate records. And, if at all possible, please do check in within the eve of the morrow (24 hours), save for Tarn Valco. We have contacts with him prior."

guild_door.jpg

Edited by UsernameMDM

IC: De'kra follows the other heroes, until they reach the man in blue. The shade eyes the well dressed figure, probing the human in silence. Finally the shade stops, but still jeeps his eyes on the guide. Experience has taught him not to trust people on quests, especially the employer.

Dak walked down the alleyway, the chosen Heroes sheet in his hand. He noticed that he had been marked down Acting Party Leader, and wondered what that meant.

"Present."

OOC: My stats are fine.

Tarn was very excited that his latest Quest was taking him back to the mountains of Titaan that he hailed from. He was also pleased to see that the party included the Orc Knight he had faced in the Arena.

"Hail fellow adventurers!" he beamed.

OOC: my stats are fine. Dak is acting party leader, as I mentioned in the discussion thread I am not able to currently post more than around once a day until Sunday. I would be happy for him to be outright party leader but purely in storyline terms having Tarn as party leader might be good fun. Totally the QMs call.

"We appear to all be here except Aberforth. Now, where could that old man have gotten off to? He seemed so excited about this Quest at the Hall. :sceptic: "

Dak appears to have returned to his normal self, albeit a bit less worried.

"Well, we might as well make the most of waiting, and have a bit of conversation."

Dak leans against the wall.

"De'kra, I counldn't find anything about spirits in the Library, so your identity remains a mystery for now. :sceptic: "

Guts was annoyed, the bloody wizard was late. Guts could not stand the guy. Maybe he should set fire to the guy's colorful robes, that ll teach him. Guts scratched his throat, the waiting made him thirsty, he should have brought some wine. On the next quest, maybe.

Pulling out his weapon, and proceeding to clean it with a rag, the rogue pondered: The mage better have a good reason to be late, and he better not give crap like "Wizards are never late"...

steward.jpg

"I have sent word after Mr. Swindle. Hopefully he will arrive shortly. Do please come in."

The heroes lined in through the heavy door and the man closed the door behind them. The walls of the interior were of perfectly cut stone that required no mortar.

"I do apologize for the lack of atmosphere. The back entry is a bit dull, but, alas, we must use it for the business at hand. Follow me."

The heroes followed the man through a small maze of perfectly formed corridors. The Miners' Guild Meeting Hall was much bigger on the inside than it looked on the outside. After a few minutes of what seemed a descending walk, the party arrived at a small but luxuriously furnished anteroom. Across the way was a door made of the hardest wood, polished to a almost mirror shine.

"I shall see if the Councilor is ready for audience."

The man slipped through the door. A short time later, he reopened the door and bade the heroes enter with a swept hand. Inside was an office with a desk at which an old eye-patched dwarf sat. He had a hard look about him as he eyed the heroes entering the room. He set down his quill and closed the large tome in front of him.

durgon_silverpick.jpg

"Elder Councilor, the recruits from Heroica Hall have arrived. Recruits, may I introduce the Elder Councilor Durgon Silverpick"

"Thank you Steward," said the dwarf in a voice of gravel and wood, "Let's get straight to the business at hand: I've called you here because there seems to be a problem with one of our mines up north in the Titaan Mountains. We sent scouting crews ahead to map out new veins of gold, silver, gems, what have you, but once our dig teams arrived, the deposits were simply gone with only dust and specks left. There are no other mining operations in the mountain. With our mining crews working at fully capacity, we cannot afford to pull them from the deposits they are digging in order to investigate. We need you to travel to the mines. The Steward will guide you to the entrance, but it's up to you from there to find out what is happening to our mines. I believe a reward was posted, but if you do well, there may be more to be had."

"Are there any questions for Elder Councilor Durgon Silverpick?" asked the Steward.

Edited by UsernameMDM

There is a polite knocking at the door, and Swindle pokes his head in. His face is flushed, and he's breathing heavily.

"Do forgive my tardiness, master dwarf!"

He walks into the room and takes off his hat, bowing so low he almost hits his head on the desk.

"I cannot offer any excuses for being late, but as for a reason, I was accosted by three Minotaurs and a couple of Northern Highland-men, who needed my assistance in personal matters."

Swindle takes one last, deep breath and looks around the office, recovered and calm.

"So, missing ores, with no clues as to how they were removed? What is the state of the mine, in other respects? Dark? Deep? Structurally sound?"

(OOC: Sorry about that guys!)

"Right, Silverpick. We need 50% of the reward up front, equipment, and transport."

With a stale face Guts looked at the man, throwing a destroying gaze to the way of the wizard.

IC: De'kra clicked, "Any purpose for gold and silver? I know metals decorate and gold used in money, but might gold and silver have secondary uses? Might good idea to know all possible reasons for gold vanish. Also, what you know about local life? Any tribes in the area? What kind of creatures scout-crews have find in mountain?"

Guts shrugged when the small rogue asked the question,

"Silver can be used to make weapons, if you wanted, legends say silver weapons are poweful against foes like vampires and werewolves... Silver is also used by the temples in rituals, I dont know the specifics... Gold is a heavy kind of metal, but too soft to serve any practical purpose, it is valuable because of its shine and rarity... As you said, its used as currency an decoaration. It is not the style of bandits to steal this way. I, at least, have never heard of bandits strip mining veins of gold and silver. It would make more sense to steal the gold during transport, thats how I would do it, at least... I fear we are dealing with magic... again."

"Silver can be used to make weapons, if you wanted, legends say silver weapons are poweful against foes like vampires and werewolves... Silver is also used by the temples in rituals, I dont know the specifics... Gold is a heavy kind of metal, but too soft to serve any practical purpose, it is valuable because of its shine and rarity... As you said, its used as currency an decoaration. It is not the style of bandits to steal this way. I, at least, have never heard of bandits strip mining veins of gold and silver. It would make more sense to steal the gold during transport, thats how I would do it, at least... I fear we are dealing with magic... again."

"Aye. That's probably it. Sir Silverpick, is there any other things you would wish us to do in the mine? Other than find the minerals and the thieves, of course. Also, have any miners gone missing recently? That would suggest a monster in the mines is what is stealing the minerals. Has anything else gone missing in the past at the mine? Supplies, food, water, rope, weapons, that sort of thing?"

Dak leans against the nearest wall and pulls his Tfel sword off his back, as well as a rock. He begins sharpening the edge of the sword, the scrape of stone grinding against metal echoing loudly through the room.

"Gold has a number of very interesting properties, but a lot of what it's capable of in pure or near-pure forms is much more involved with alchemical arts, rather than magic proper. I reckon that might be just as bad, or worse."

He turns away from Guts, tactfully ignored, and speaks to Councilor Silverpick.

"This is all just unfounded conjecture, of course. Was there anything strange or unusual about the method in which your minerals seemed to be extracted? We'll be able to examine it up close, of course, but if you saw anything particularly unusual, it might help us prepare better."

Tarn let the others ask the questions. He had been raised in the Titaan mountains, but by a settlement of human clerics rather than Dwarven miners. He had recently been down a dark burial chamber, so he was prepared for anything they may find in the mine.

Durgon Silverpick's brow furrowed deeper and deeper with every question. He thought the situation was pretty straightforward. He huffed through his nose, flaring his mustache and made as if the speak. Noticing the councilor's declining expression, the Steward decided to chime in rather quickly.

steward.jpg

"There are no civilizations, I use that world very loosely here, in the area of the mines that we have not fed, bought or beaten into, shall we say, mutual admiration. The mines are heavily guarded at all the main entrances, so we know no one is getting in by physical means. The ones who practice alchemy may be interested in gold, but we have a budding relationship already with the Guild of Invision, and I seriously doubt anyone would be foolish enough to venture into their territory. As for the state of the mines around the missing deposits, it does appear as if someone is mining them out, but their work is most excellent! The walls themselves smooth and shining!"

At that Durgon harrumphed, causing the Steward to proceed.

"Anymore of your most excellent questions?"

"None at all. We will hunt these thieves, or whatever they are, down for you, Councilor."

Swindle bows deeply again. This time he actually does bump his head on the desk, but he ignores it.

Guts coughed, reminding Silverpick of what he said earlier.

"Right, Silverpick. We need 50% of the reward up front, equipment, and transport."

As soon as Guts gets what he wants, Dak speaks up.

"If you all are done here, I think that we should head to the mine now."

steward.jpg

"What a silly man! Asking for a reward before he has set his hands to work."

heroica-map.jpg

Elder Councilor Duron Silverpick bids the party farewell and good luck. The Steward asks the party to follow him to the docks where they board a ship heading to New Harbour, just southwest of the Titaan Mountains. After a rather unadventurous voyage, the ship ports in New Harbour. The Steward guides the party through the forests to the mountains. Up lonely slopes and forgotten trails they trek until the Steward stops with an upraised hand.

steward.jpg

"And here we are!"

The Steward pulls back some small brush growth and a blanket of moss to reveal a jagged hole big enough for a man to squeeze through.

cave_entrance.jpg

"This, gentleman, shall serve as your entrance. The mines have been cleared of deposits, so you will have to venture down a few levels to find the new veins."

The Steward sheds off his pack, takes out a few items, and a couple of strikes later, produces a torch.

cave_entrance_with_steward.jpg

"It is quite dark in there. One of you will have to carry the torch the entire way and be unable to use your weapon."

torch.jpg

Torch (WP: 2, Fire)

steward.jpg

"Who will carry the torch?"

Edited by UsernameMDM

IC: De'kra clicked, "I suggest Mage use torch. It only one less in power or his current weapon, and he spells still strong. I not intend mean to mage, just rest of new heroes and I much higher levels, and have power to enact more damage. Thoughts?"

"Yes, I will take the torch."

steward.jpg

"Splendid! There's a brave man. Now all that is left is to venture in. I shall be waiting here for you once your quest is complete."

6053295509_408d809eab_t.jpg

Tarn Valco, Level 10 Barbarian, 21 year old human male ***PARTY LEADER***

Power: 20 Health: 17/17 Gold: 45

Inventory: Kyrferath, a Battle Axe (WP: 10, Water Elemental, Hollow Blade (Mead equipped), Pole-axe (WP: 3), Mead x 2, Lightning Bomb, Potion x 2, Tonic, Venom, Smelling salts, Grand Potion, Spell of Sleep, Phoenix Essence, Shovel

6554986585_3185fc777a_t.jpg

Dak Shadeaux, Level 7 Rogue, 35 yeal old half-elf Mopag ***Acting PARTY LEADER***

Power: 14 Health: 13/13 Gold: 39

Inventory: Thgir Blade (WP:5), Mockthril Knife (Equipped)(WP:7), Twin Longswords (WP:3), Mockthril Whip (WP:4), 2 Venoms, 2 Potions, Bedroll, Shovel

av_guts.jpg

Guts Holla, Level 7 Rogue, 42 year old male human

Power: 14 Health: 13/13 Gold: 65

Inventory: Lifestealer (WP:7 attacks restore 3 health), Potion, Bedroll, Shovel

heroicarpgedited12.jpg

Knifk, Level 7 Knight, 30 year old male Orc

Power:14 Health: 16/16 Gold: 65

Inventory: Tfel Blade (WP:7), Mockthril Shield (SP:5), Potion

MISSING IMAGE

De'kra, Level 10 Rogue, 11 year old Male Shade

Power: 15 Health: 16/16 Gold: 28

Inventory: Pongcanis Dagger(WP:5, Electricity), Shadeaux Dagger(WP:5), Fang Dagger(WP:4), Cloak of the Blue Assassin(SP: 1), Cloak of the Elven Spy(loaned to Atramor), Bedroll, Venom (1), Potions (3), Pickaxe

ABERFORTHSWINDLEPORTRAIT.jpg

Aberforth Swindle, Level 1 Mage, 62 year old human

Power:4 Health: 5/5 Ether 5/5 Gold: 5

Inventory: Torch (2 WP, fire) Simple Staff (3 WP), Amethyst Gemstone, Musty Bedroll, 1 Potion

cave_entrance.jpg