When I was fixing my sailing boat earlier this year, there was this odd looking, really old loader standing up where my boat is parked.

The unusual thing was the entire loading apparatus seemed to sit on a turntable! :oh:

Anyways, this was before I rekindled my interest for LEGO, but the image stuck with me, and as I got more confident with the new studless building techniques, as well as my collection grew (I also discovered Bricklink), I decided to try and make one.

Been working on this for a month or so, it has been rebuilt two times, and I am many experiences richer.

I especially wanna thank Alasdair Ryan and JorgeOpesi for valuable feedback and help! :wink:

2012-11-29_15.20.00.jpg

The features are:

-Adjustable side mirrors :grin:

-Openable "doors" :laugh:

-PF seatbelts for the driver

-Front and rear PF lights

-AWD powered by one PF XL Motor

-Steering by two mini LA's, powered by one PF M Motor

-Lifting of digger by two large LA's, by one PF L Motor

-Tipping of bucket by one LA, powered by one PF L motor

-Turning of the digging apparatus by one PF-M motor

-Fed by a standard PF Battery box

-Pendular suspension on rear axle

The creation is not based on a particular real life vehicle (I don't even know if there is something remotely similar-looking), the main goal was to make something presentable, with the desired functions.

Pictures:

2012-11-29_15.20.31.jpg

2012-11-29_15.21.04.jpg

2012-11-29_15.22.00.jpg

2012-11-29_15.22.54.jpg

2012-11-29_15.23.28.jpg

2012-11-29_15.24.52.jpg

2012-11-29_15.25.55.jpg

2012-11-29_15.27.14.jpg

So there we go! :blush:

I was going to make a video today, but I was suddenly out of batteries for the PF elements! :laugh: Will try to have one up during the course of the weekend!

I'm fairly pleased with the result, seeing as this is my first big MOC with many functions apart from driving and steering :classic:

Edited by D3K

Very beautifful model. Excellent functionality, but I think that you should make it wider.

You made a good job of building your loader. :classic:

I especially wanna thank Alasdair Ryan and JorgeOpesi for valuable feedback and help! :wink:

It was a pleasure helping. :grin:

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

A lot of functions :laugh: and fast building, we have to create the fast building lego technic style :grin: . Good work but I think that if you rebuild the MOC again it will be much better, always happens to me. Thanks for mention us but all the work is yours, here we all help to all :wink: .

I have never seen one IRL, but wow that kind of machine must work circles around other standard loaders. It is a wonder that this design is not more common.

there are several out there

swing-loader-23544-2598479.jpg

pictures%5C5107%5CSwing_Loader.jpg

I was about to say the back end looked a little too long, till I saw these pictures....

A very unique and well executed model, well done

I have never seen one of these machines before, great job on originality. Great job capturing the feel of the machine!

tim

First of all; thank you all very much for the praise! :sweet:

Great moc with unique features. It looks to be well built too, especially for building it in only a month. Do you have any videos?

PF seatbelt. :laugh:

I will try to make a nice vid in the weekend, showing off all the functions! :wink:

And oh yes; one has to be safety concious! :grin:

I like this, looks like the arm has a lot of freedom, nice one

Thank you!

And yes, once I got it all working, I was surprised at how high it elevated! :classic:

Making the Z-linkage was a real pain though, but is very close to "perfect" now! :blush:

I have never seen one IRL, but wow that kind of machine must work circles around other standard loaders. It is a wonder that this design is not more common.

I agree, this is a definate advantage in many cases, especially where room to manouver is limited!

I imagine the main reasons for it not being so common, are 1: can't be built as large and powerful as a standard front end loader mounted directly to the frame, and 2: More complicated mechanism and geometry.

I know the technology's been around for a really long time, as the one I mentioned I saw has got to be at least 30 years old! :classic:

there are several out there

Yeah, I remember seeing those Ahlmann ones when I googled "Swinging front end loader" or something, when I was beginning the project! :blush:

Come to think of it, that is where I got the word "Swingloader" from! :laugh:

Cool MOC :thumbup:

I too have never seen that IRL, but it looks really usefull

Great pics! But that last one really looks like it's hovering in free air :grin:

Would also be a nice set for TLG to do

I got really inspired, thanx all :thumbup:

Cheers,

Ole

D3K -

Being a front loader/wheel loader fan, this is a really fantastic looking MOC...kind of makes me drool when I read your list of what it does with RC...wow...

Cool MOC :thumbup:

I too have never seen that IRL, but it looks really usefull

Great pics! But that last one really looks like it's hovering in free air :grin:

Would also be a nice set for TLG to do

I got really inspired, thanx all :thumbup:

Cheers,

Ole

Thank you very much for the positive words, very glad if I am of inspiration to other builders out there! :blush:

As for the picture, I used my MLLD, aka Magic LEGO-Levitation Device (made out of 100% LEGO) to make it float in the air! :grin:

D3K -

Being a front loader/wheel loader fan, this is a really fantastic looking MOC...kind of makes me drool when I read your list of what it does with RC...wow...

Thank you so much for your kind words! :blush:

Make sure you don't drool to much on your keyboard :laugh:

Short video, as promised :sweet: :

Sorry it's not more, but I didn't have the time to tape and edited any more than that! :blush:

Edited by D3K