Sign in to follow this  
samurai-turtle

Picture Hosting Site

i wondering if any one has a good site to host/post pictures. I do not think I would use it too much, and would like it to be free to use. Thank in advance.

If you just need the core hosting capability (for showing on the forums and such), Dropbox is an ok alternative - it is simple and fast.

But there are of course, no group/discovery capability - you have to publicize links to your folders yourself.

I would not recommend using brickshelf, I find it to be extremely slow and confusing to navigate. I use bricksafe.com, it is much simpler and about a billion times faster.

If you just need the core hosting capability (for showing on the forums and such), Dropbox is an ok alternative - it is simple and fast.

But there are of course, no group/discovery capability - you have to publicize links to your folders yourself.

Dropbox requires an installation though.

I use Flickr, it's fairly easy to use. However, depending on how busy you are you may have to pay for extra space. I have not used the others.

Brickshelf is good if you only want to show your work and not have to deal with comments and haters.

I use Flickr, it's fairly easy to use. However, depending on how busy you are you may have to pay for extra space. I have not used the others.

flickr provides 1 TB of free space; for the purposes of posting pictures on EB, you'll never run out of space for the foreseeable future.

Brickshelf is unreliable. Few year ago the owner pulled the plug on the site without any warning causing a lot of panic in the AFOL community (we feared all our pictures were lost). Later he decided to put it back online.

I have zero trust in Brickshelf.

I agree that Brickshelf is often slow and unreliable. I used to recommend Picasa, but Google screwed it up integrating it with Google+, and sharing images is tedious compared to flickr. I like flickr a LOT for the following simple reason: it's the easiest site to use in order to share your work on sites like bricklink; you can upload your full size images and get the BB code for an EB approved size that automatically links to the full resolution image hosted on flickr... all you do is cut and paste the BB code it generates for you.

I like Flickr - it provides links to your image in several sizes, and resizing images to an appropriate size is a large part of posting photos on Eurobricks. Flickr has the built-in communication platform, too, which is nice. I have a brickshelf account, but I just use it as a place to keep images that I just need to post once and don't feel the need to have discussion about.

Flickr is great for showcasing all your pictures.

But if you don't want your pictures public and just have direct links to pictures/albums of pictures, use imgur. Best free picture hosting site.

I've just started using Irista from Canon - https://www.irista.com - as a second backup option for my many photos.

So far it seems OK. I've had no problems. It doesn't have any fancy features like some but with a very welcome 10GB of free storage (photos only at this point) with options to increase this for a monthly fee, I've no complaints.

More here - http://www.dpreview.com/articles/9392035473/canon-irista-cloud-storage-service

Edited by grum64

Flickr is keep complicating stuff in sake of trying to look "cool"

It used to be much, much better.

I use flickr often but the easiest photo hosting site to have photos uploaded to EB has to be imgur. It's really great and easy.

The thing about flickr is you have to have a yahoo account to use it. At least that is what I figured out when I was checking it out, and I was not wanting to sign up for yahoo.

The thing about flickr is you have to have a yahoo account to use it. At least that is what I figured out when I was checking it out, and I was not wanting to sign up for yahoo.

You can sign in with gmail or facebook.

i tried with facebook and you still need a yahoo account.

Making a yahoo account isn't tedious, it's pretty easy. And since I never use yahoo and it sends all my flickr notifications to my gmail, I'm fine :laugh: