Siegfried

CONTEST: To sail the Technic sea...

Technic Sea sm.JPG

Contest Index

Welcome to Eurobricks biggest ever Technic contest, To sail the Technic sea! In summary, the challenge is for you to build a Technic MOC that is water related. One option, is to build something silly like the above image, but why do something that lame? Possible options include;

• Sailing ship
  • Submarine
  • Oil rig
  • Hydrofoil
  • Fish
  • Floating crane
  • Sea plane
  • Splash Mountain log ride
  • Snowmobile
  • Water taxi
  • Tribubble bongo

These are all serious options... but the more inventive and surprising the better. Most of all, this is a Technic contest so function, while not 100% required, will be rewarded. To ensure that this is the case I'm assembling a crack team of Technic Meisters. They will be directed to pick the top 50% of entries that they feel fit the Technic name and the water theme. (I don't think my MOC would meet the standard. :cry_sad: ) OK, details time;

The Rules

• The contest is open to all EB Members.
  • Entries must be posted by midnight GMT, April 2nd, 2012.
  • Winner will be selected by 50% panel, 50% public poll. I will be the tie breaker if one is needed.
  • One entry per member.
  • Entries should be new (never posted anywhere previously) and water related. If you have any doubts about the suitability of your entry contact me.
  • All entries are to include only real LEGO. No clone brands, 3rd party parts, or digital entries allowed. Rubberbands are allowed exceptions.
  • Decals will be allowed if you've made them yourself, but no cutting, sculpting or modifying parts.
  • Entries are to be placed in their own entry topic in the Technic, Mindstorms & Model Team forum. The title of the topic should begin with "TSATS: " (or "TSTTS" :blush: ) and then give the name of the entry.
  • The entry post (first post in your entry topic) may be edited at any time up to the end of the contest, so feel free to make improvements if you wish. If you post it as a WIP first making a new topic later is advised.
  • Entries are to consist of no more than 8 posted pictures of 800x600 or smaller resolution but may also include a link to a folder of additional images of any size. You can have a video instead of a photo if you want.
  • No photoshopped backgrounds or packaging, but you are allowed to edit the background to remove distractions.
  • We reserve the right to disqualify any entry that does not follow these rules.
  • These rules can be changed whenever we see fit to ensure that people follow the intent of the contest.

The Prizes

1st prize: Unimog purchased by EB from LEGO Shop@Home.

8110mn.jpg

2nd prize: Backhoe purchased by EB from LEGO Shop@Home.

8069mn.jpg

3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th prize:

Misc Unimog parts, provided by CopMike. :wub:

Hub piece (4610378) = x4

Portal Axle housing (4610377) = x4

94.3 x 38R tires (4610381) = x4

C-shaped pivot frame (4610379) = x2

Cup to fit on above pivot (4610380) = x2

8110stk01.jpg x2

8110stk02.jpg x2

new.jpg

Picture for reference only.

Prizes and world wide shipping are sponsored by Eurobricks.

Important prize remarks:

• Your sets will be shipped to you directly from LEGO Shop@Home, so make sure Shop@Home ships to your country! If not, then you can still enter and we do our best to find a solution. For example we would be prepared to buy one Technic set of equal or lesser value (including shipping) from Bricklink.
  • If you are one of the contest winners you'll get a PM after the contest is over to work out the details.

If anyone has any questions please feel free to ask away, otherwise get building! Remember, the more successful this contest is the more likely we'll do it again! :wink:

Nice, I'm thinking of some ideas now :laugh:

And very good prizes :wub:

But, I have a question, the rules say it's not allowed to photoshop the background, but does that include make a white background?

Because mostly, if I make a moc, I photoshop the background away and make it white.

Anyways, good luck everyone (and me :tongue: ) :thumbup:

EDIT: I do have another question, are Model Team mocs allowed? I don't want to make one I think, bu I was just wondering

Edited by legolijntje

EDIT: I do have another question, are Model Team mocs allowed? I don't want to make one I think, bu I was just wondering

Yes. Model Team MOCs are allowed... as are Bionicle. Function over form should be the goal though.

But, I have a question, the rules say it's not allowed to photoshop the background, but does that include make a white background?

Because mostly, if I make a moc, I photoshop the background away and make it white.

Yes, that's OK. I've changed the rules.

How do you check if an entry was made of only real LEGO pieces?

EDIT: can one use water?

Edited by Lipko

Wow i am awed by the prizes. this might be my chance to finally get the Unimog. I got some ideas cooking :wink: .

tim

EDIT: i just found the perfect build. Goodluck Guys!

Edited by timr

How do you check if an entry was made of only real LEGO pieces?

You can't tell?

EDIT: can one use water?

Yes! :tongue:

Can you use a less messy "substitute" for water (such as blue technic pins) if it helped demonstrate the mechanics without having to be watertight?

This sounds awesome! Those are some great prizes you all are giving away as well. :thumbup:

I've got several ideas floating around in my head, but this is going to be a hard decision. Nonetheless, this competition would give me a good chance to take a break from my forwarder project.

Edited by dhc6twinotter

Great contest!

But I have question - does "fish" include jellyfish, octopus or any other floating creatures?

And does "submarine" include all 1 man driven things like personal submarines, underwater jet sky or deep sea diving suits?

You can't tell?

I can't be sure if I only see 6 pictures of the whole assembly in 800×600.

Also, can the entry be LDD?

The rules say: "•All entries are to include only real LEGO. No clone brands, 3rd party parts, or digital entries allowed", so ldd isn't allowed.

Can you use a less messy "substitute" for water (such as blue technic pins) if it helped demonstrate the mechanics without having to be watertight?

Probably. If possible please give a more detailed explanation of what you have in mind.

Are MOCs entries containing Mindstorms allowed? Also, can the entry be LDD?

Mindstorms yes, LDD, no. It's too easy in LDD to build unbuildable models.

Can we do videos to?

Yes. I'll amend the rules.

But I have question - does "fish" include jellyfish, octopus or any other floating creatures?

And does "submarine" include all 1 man driven things like personal submarines, underwater jet sky or deep sea diving suits?

Yes x 6. But please note that any wheeled MOCs stand a good chance of being penalised.

I can't be sure if I only see 6 pictures of the whole assembly in 800×600.

OK, now I'm confused. So you're talking about other entries, not your own? It comes down to this; if I have a doubt I'll ask for better photos. But it's also a matter of honesty.

Well, every ship needs a captain, so i think i'm in! LOL :tongue:

Great idea, hopefully something nice will come out of mine and others hands before the deadline!

Great prices aswell,rrrrrrrr...

Oooh technic competition! Interesting choice of subject matter too, I'll have to see if I can think of something good to build! *scratches head*

Just a quik question / opinion.

I really like these contests but i'm allways miffed by this line.

"All entries are to include only real LEGO. No clone brands, 3rd party parts, or digital entries allowed."

Most of my models especially the technic ones are in a display case and i loath to take them apart and build something for a contest.

This means i simply don't have the parts to partake in contests like this.

Is it possible or an option to think about that in future contest competition a sub category for LDD mocs will be a possibility.

Maybe even with a smaller prize or just an honarble mention, at least allow digital mocs in some way.

Or even an all digital competition.

For one i don't have to take apart a dozen models to get at parts.

Or spend a bucketload of cash to buy new parts.

And i can participate in contests.

Just an idea / opinion :wink:

Good luck to everyone entering :thumbup:

Edited by BasOne

can i put in my fish tank and photograph it there

If you think it'll help but this contest is more about function than presentation.

Is it possible or an option to think about that in future contest competition a sub category for LDD mocs will be a possibility.

Maybe even with a smaller prize or just an honarble mention, at least allow digital mocs in some way.

Or even an all digital competition.

Well we do have a LDD forum (that has had more contests than this forum), and many contests do allow LDD. For example the Christmas raffle did. But in this case I want to be as sure as possible that the MOC is build-able, structurally sound and actually works. With LDD you can build without regard to balance, motor power, part strength... Also, while I do often hear the argument that not allowing LDD is not fair to those that don't have a big or available collection, the simple fact is that the reverse is also true; it then becomes unfair to the people building with physical bricks as they can't, for example, build using rarer parts or colours as easily.

Furthermore, I don't think you have to build big to win. A MOCs like this highlight that in the hands of a smart builder a small number of parts can provide an impressive and functional model.

But, I'll see if we can have more LDD contests in the future... and I'll try in future to be more accepting of LDD. I have no problem with adding a LDD category to this contest though, but it'd be with a virtual prize; we've blown our budget on this one already! :laugh:

But, I'll see if we can have more LDD contests in the future... and I'll try in future to be more accepting of LDD. I have no problem with adding a LDD category to this contest though, but it'd be with a virtual prize; we've blown our budget on this one already! :laugh:

I'm a big LDD fan, but to be brutally honest it's pretty awful when it comes to Technic building. Aside from lacking a lot of key parts it's often deeply frustrating trying to persuade it to mesh various gear combinations without enormous amounts of tweaking all over the place. I don't think it's quite "Technic Competition" ready just yet.