13 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

So for those that are wondering what exactly this set is, it's a Racers set given away at Mcdonald's restaurant's in the Happy Meals. I don't know where around the world they are available, though I know they are in Canada, and I've heard rumours that they are in the United States.

Name: 6x2 Turbo

Theme: Racers/Promotional (McDonald's)

Year: 2009

Pieces: 3+DSS

Minifigs: 0

Price: CAD $1.79 USD Unknown EUR Unknown

Bricklink

Brickset: N/A

Peeron: N/A

Lego.com: N/A

flickr set

The Bag:

Front:

3855619559_d0b927658e_o.jpg

The set is clearly pictured, with an easy on the eye backgound. Set name and number in the series are visible.

Back:

3855622023_2196dc1f8c_o.jpg

Just a Mise En Garde in three languages. Here is what it reads:

Instructions/Information Card:

Front:

3856415978_2424aea126_o.jpg

I really like the animation of the person. For some reason, it reminds me of the Vancouver 2010 mascots. If you follow the instructions, you get to here. Feel free to use my code.

Back:

3855629117_98f7e37bc4_o.jpg

Here are the instructions. Grey/black differentiating is near impossible. In fact, so is orange/black. Do you think I can handle it? Read on....

Contents:

In their totality:

3856413878_9787fcb1b0_o.jpg

I'm not sure why they put the extra bag in, but the sleeve for the stickers is a good idea, why can't a Lego use it on actual sets :sing:?

Pieces with their upside down:

3855648851_a1e1c754f1_o.jpg

Axles are metal, wheels aren't removable, unfortunately. As you can see, the only real access points for parts are a two by four section in the middle of each piece, though you can connect the pieces through the open parts, as illustrated below.

Sticker Sheet:

3856422274_0fae2d89a8_o.jpg

The material of the sticker sheet is a bit firmer - like construction paper versus regular printer paper. If any of you have bought Kinder Surprises in the past, it's somewhat like that. There are some great stickers on there too, like the ones with the mud spatter and the exhaust. They even number the stickers for us, so we know which one goes where. I wish I'd seen them before stickering my Dodge Ram 3500 Rally Truck.

The Build

I'm going to do all the steps here, so be patient.

Step one:

3855635169_0fc0660ffc_o.jpg

It's starting to take shape :sweet:. The back is one bricks height higher of the ground than the front, like raised suspension. It's an interesting idea, though I personally don't like it, especially when the piece is on it's own because it looks very awkward and doesn't give any room to play with the angling of the vehicle, if someone decides to use it for another MOC.

Step Two:

3856428380_70f1343e2c_o.jpg

This one was almost as hard as the first one. Not quite, but close. There is some sort of air scoop right behind the cab, though I've never seen anything like it. They were obviously molding the front after this piece, and I think it turned out OK.

I even included a rear view shot:

3855640825_8f0b9c72a4_o.jpg

You can easily see how the back is raised.

Mommy! Look what I built!

3856436360_847f2ab783_o.jpg

I connected the sections together using the open sections on the underside of the parts, as I mentioned earlier. And it's true; I built it.

Verdict:

Minifigs: N/A

Parts: 5/10 Three exclusive parts, though at $0.596, they are almost six times the average price per piece ration.

Price: 9/10 It's the cheapest set out there, and includes some decent stickers to boot.

Playability: 6/10 Fun at the table and on the car ride home, but I don't think it'll see much more action after that.

Design: 1/10 Three rather <insert that tiresome argument> pieces stuck on top of each other. That's it.

Overall: 21/40. Mediocre at best. However, I think it's at an unbeatable price. Therefore, I think it's worth the buy - if you can find it. As you might have figured out by now, it is only available at McDonald's restaurants.

Edited by SmurfFangy
Indexed

Excellent review, though you really could have gone into more detail in the building stage.

...but seriously, wtf? Is this even Lego? I'll keep an eye out for these, but to be honest, it's like some weird twilight zone where System and Bionicle never separated and every brick is specifically molded. I suppose the unique parts are cool, but they're so specialized....

:laugh: I was sooo disappointed when I went to Mickey D's and found out that these were just three pieces. I remember back in the day, when McDonalds Lego Happy Meal Toys were made out of real legos. I still have a 2x3x1 slope with Grimace's face on it. Those were the days, those were the days....

Nice review though, it was quite an amusing parody.

Edited by Tereglith

Cool review, but I'm disappointed at McD's for not making their Lego Happy Meals like the old Bionicle Matoran ones and the really old sets like those helicopters and boats. :cry_sad:

Thanks for the review. What was LEGO thinking? My son and daughter got some of these in their Happy Meals, and I've never bought any of the LEGO Racers Tiny Turbos because I thought they were all in 3 pieces like this. To be honest, until I read a review of one of the new 2010 sets tonight here on Eurobricks, I didn't reliaze that the LEGO Racers were a source for usable LEGO parts (my son collects LEGO City).

In my case, at least, LEGO lost a customer by giving out these sets, whereas if they had included actual LEGO pieces in the Happy Meals I would have probably bought quite a few of these sets already.

Perhaps McDonalds is paranoid about giving out small objects to young kids?

Nice small review, I didn't see this in the Academy?

Would have made a nice entry.

I by chance obtained one of these litle sets, my nephew got the same one twice and didn't want it anymore.

It was in the Academy Big Cam. I helped grade it.

Great job on the review, Ricecracker, your deadpan humor throughout the whole thing works beautifully. I can't say I would want to own any of these. I too remember when McDonalds had those silly little vehicles with the printed slope characters, and the throwarm Bionicle matoran, remember them?

I was wondering and worried whether there is a thumbnail for this index, and you know what, BrickLink does have it, and I indexed it. It's really uncommon to see such review, and it's nice to see you bringing us a new perspective of things, and for sure this set does not work well for me and if you didn't review it, I will never knew of its existence. :thumbup:

I too remember when McDonalds had those silly little vehicles with the printed slope characters, and the throwarm Bionicle matoran, remember them?

Yeah, it's unfortunate they switched to these. They even got nice sets for Quick Magic Box last year.

It's really uncommon to see such review, and it's nice to see you bringing us a new perspective of things, and for sure this set does not work well for me and if you didn't review it, I will never knew of its existence. :thumbup:

I'm glad I helped "open your eyes" to this set. :classic:

Great review I love the sarcasm :thumbup: . The "set" though is a disgrace to the LEGO name :thumbdown:

Nice review for an average set. I end up getting one of the sets off my sister, the "Rally Fire". She had a extra one and let me have it, I did give her son two extra General Mills Racers sets I had the blue truck and green/yellow race car. If you have one of the McD or General Mills Racers sets you know they are basically the same: a wheel plate, middle body part, and top cabin piece.

I have seven or eight of them, my couisin gave me his whenever he got one. They have some usefull parts, but its hard to find anything to do with them.