eliminator

Discontinuation Speculation

Any thoughts on whether or not the Maersk set will have a 3-year production run like the Emerald Night, or will it likely be a very limited run since they're using the Maersk name?

I'm considering moving it up on my priority list....

I would get the Lego 10219 Maersk Train set soon. From the Shop.Lego.com description of the set, note that the product is licensed from the A.P. Moller Maersk Group (while the generic Emerald Night set is not licensed). If sales are low and the license costs a lot to renew each year, perhaps the Lego Maersk train set will not have a 3-year production run.

Also, the "Maersk Blue" brick color is quite rare -- they are in demand for making MOCs with a "Baby Blue" color.

Tell Santa Claus to bring you a train! santa-emoticon.gif

10219-1.jpg10194-0000-xx-23-1.jpg

Edited by DLuders

Well, I couldn't resist. USA ToysRUS is having a great pre-Balck Friday sale. I got 2x Maersk trains with free shipping for the grand total of $180. (BYGO 50% + $15 holiday promo).

In Canada, these cost $155 each plus tax.....

that is cheap

:wink:

yea, I'm pretty happy with the deal! I think I might just keep one MISB for the future.....or pillage it for the containers and cars and sell the loco

Edited by eliminator

Tell Santa Claus to bring you a train!

He did already.....big kid I am, couldn't wait to Christmas to build it ! :laugh:

I think I might just keep one MISB for the future.....or pillage it for the containers and cars and sell the loco

Ah, you could have the second loco attached still to the first.....steep hill-climbing ! :wink:

Avalonia Forever !

I'm actually surprised to see the Emerald Night is still around. I made the mistake of buying the Emerald Night then the Maersk train. I absolutely love the Maersk train and wish I had 2 instead of the Emerald Night.

I heard a rumor at Brickworld last summer that the Maersk train will not be around long 2012 will be its final year. No other date given.

I heard a rumor at Brickworld last summer that the Maersk train will not be around long 2012 will be its final year. No other date given.

A good set to compare it to is the Maersk tanker. As I remember that set was not around for a very long time. The Maersk train has been around for more than half a year already.

I live in Australia (where they are $199 from lego.com.au), but I'm heading to Texas in Feb for a conference so I plan on stopping by either TRU or a Lego store and picking up at least 2-3 sets. At $119US which is around $115 AUD at the moment, its definitely a huge saving. Plan on bringing back a whole suitcase full of lego!

I cant see this set hanging around for years. Besides the train folks, who really buys this set? At least the Emerald Night is a "cool green steam engine", whereas the Maersk train is basically a model. And it's not exactly the cheapest Lego set out there...

Comparing the Maersk's availabilty to Emerald Night's availability is like comparing apples to oranges.

For 1, the Maersk is a licensed model where as the Emerald Night is a lego original. Maersk has the final say on how many

units get produced and gets a share in the revenue for each unit made.

2, Emerald Night is a steamer and may or may not appeal to a certain taste of Train Enthusiast, where as the Maersk is a

regular (Diesel?) locomotive. I don't really have a handle on which train would have greater appeal to non-train enthusiasts.

3. In my opinion, having 2 cars (meaning, you can put containers on each of the cars) besides the locomotive makes the Maersk

more marketable. Buying two sets, and you have a start to a decent train (two loco's and 4 container cars). The Emerald

night has a very nice steamer locomotive, a nice tender, and a very nice pullman passenger car. You have to buy more than

3 sets to get a nice train. If Lego would have released a companion set for the Emerald Night, you would have seen the

Emerald Night sell out a lot sooner.

Case in point, if you look at Bricklink, you can see that there are a high amount of Emerald Night's selling just the locomotive

and tender, because the seller needed the passenger car for his/her collection.

4. The Maersk blue color appeals to a certain type of collector, versus the dark green maybe appeals to others. To each his own

I guess.

Maybe, maybe not, I think the lifespan of most sets is 2 years, but you just never know and it isn't worth risking it. I need to get mine soon though too :head_back:

I hope it is around for a while, though it probably won't be (the other Maersk set didn't last very long if I remember correctly). I'm not really a big train fan (well, I am, but I just haven't gotten into LEGO trains because of the cost...) but I would like to get it eventually for the Maersk blue parts.

One thing to consider is that unlike most companies Maersk Line has a habit of looking for ways to publicize themselves, whither it be publicity stunts like the Union Pacific Challenger steam locomotive pulling a string of American double stacks or special livery paint jobs of BNSF and Norfolk-Southern Railways locomotives (With the latter being the source for the Maersk Line locomotive). For example look at how many LEGO Maersk sets there have been through the years or how many times the Maersk Line Freighter has been released?

That being said they normally have a short life span, but if things in the train department keep on there current course, there is bound to some formidable replacement. Just look at the emerald night; it is still around though mostly due to popularity but also because it would create a large void that would need filling.

3D LEGO

One thing to consider is that unlike most companies Maersk Line has a habit of looking for ways to publicize themselves, whither it be publicity stunts like the Union Pacific Challenger steam locomotive pulling a string of American double stacks or special livery paint jobs of BNSF and Norfolk-Southern Railways locomotives (With the latter being the source for the Maersk Line locomotive). For example look at how many LEGO Maersk sets there have been through the years or how many times the Maersk Line Freighter has been released?

Well, it worked. Before the train I had never heard of Maersk, but now I see it everywhere.

I'm actually surprised to see the Emerald Night is still around. I made the mistake of buying the Emerald Night then the Maersk train. I absolutely love the Maersk train and wish I had 2 instead of the Emerald Night.

For me it was the Maersk that finally pulled me into Lego trains, but once that happened I knew I had to get the Emerald Night, so I'm really glad it was still around. I really like both, but the EN had ended up being my favorite...

Just bought my second Maersk train, so now I have two of each: Maersk and EN :sweet: Each one is great in it's own way. If Maersk train will not be around for long, I'll probably get more.

Edited by pdxbricks

The maersk is the train that got me back into legos it looks so real for a lego product.....i bought emerald night though and nothing beats it in styling.....its a beautiful train

The Maersk train also got me back into Lego trains after a few years away from it, now I have three :wub: I converted one locomotive to a GE AC6000 though. Also got the EN and I love it for its complexity but I love diesel electrics more. Definitely think you should move it up in priority, its a great set and might not be around as long. Although, I'm a bit surprised they have two cargo trains out at the same time, so who knows...

Hogwarts Express is sold out at S@H in the U.S., Amazon, & Toys R Us. It is early in the Christmas shopping season for a particular train to be unavailable at so many places. Is this a sign that the set is at the end of its run?

We could almost have a single topic for every train that was ever released by LEGO. I'm going to merge this recent question (future of Hogwarts Express) with that of the Maersk. We'll use this topic to discuss the future of any set that is still available (and those in the future).

I picked up my Emerald Night last night 25% off with a 20% scratcher. I will probably getting the Maersk Train when I go back on Boxing Day.

Well, I have one more question to add,

I do expect the MAERSK set to be short term due to its licenseing,

But, as it is a great locomotive design, Do you think LEGO will produce it in a different color or set as a Lego original, or possibly reproduce it under a different license such as CONRAIL or something similar.

EN, Imperial Flagship and others were discounted and are now sold out on LSAH, is this the end ?? :sceptic: