Sign in to follow this  
piterx

Help to create digital instructions for a physical MOC

Hi guys!

i need some help because i want to create instructions for this car but i dont know what program i should use

i can use MLcad but i've noticed that some pieces are missing and i have absolutely no idea on how to make flexible axes

and then...is there any way to simplify the constructive process while making instructions? i mean is there something that splits the model into parts and make instructions for me or should i make everything by myself?

i really dont know anything about making instructions XD

At start, you have to verify what is the LEGO digital CAD software more suitable for your project.

Check the Section Index about available software.

If you choose LDD, read the posts and topics linked in the Section Index about creating instructions.

If you choose LDraw ecosystem, maybe the right software to use is lpub.

Unfortunately there could be problems that are not easy to solve:

- Creating good instructions is not easy, and requires some manual work or the use of "advanced" procedure.

- You could have problems with missing pieces or connections difficult to make in the digital word.

I've modified the title of the topic, replacing it with a more significative one.

Please be more careful using proper punctuation and capitalization.

The problem is that ldraw that i prefer lacks of this piece 57515.jpg

...and i dont have any idea about how to make flexible axles

btw im not writing a book im just asking for help :wink:

You can use LDD to make instructions, although you probably get weird or even impossible instructions for Technic models.

You can also use the LDraw tools. You have to use MLcad (or SR3D Builder, although in the end you do need MLcad) and LPub. It's actually not very difficult, but it can be time consuming and the first time can take some extra time because you've never done it before. It also requires you to be able to think ahead, as you have to make the steps yourself and you don't want the instructions to be impossible (and it's even worse to find the error when you just finished everything :tongue: ).

I'm making some instructions for a Technic model at the moment for someone else. I've done instructions in the past, but only for some small models, this time it's a 2000+ parts model...

You can read more about making instructions here and some more advanced stuff here.

The problem is that ldraw that i prefer lacks of this piece 57515.jpg

...and i dont have any idea about how to make flexible axles

btw im not writing a book im just asking for help :wink:

The part you need is defenitly in LDraw. Do you have the newest parts update? Although this part is a little older already, I recommend to just download the whole library again and replace it with your old parts library.

About flexible axles; you need LSynth for that. If you used the All in one installer to install your LDraw tools, it's already in MLcad, if not, you need to install it manually. You can read more about LSynth here.

If you have more questions, feel free to ask them :classic:

thank you mate :)

yeah i've already downloaded the newest parts but maybe im dumb and can't install them....i dont know lol

i cant find that wishbone, maybe i'm looking in the wrong place?

thank you mate :)

yeah i've already downloaded the newest parts but maybe im dumb and can't install them....i dont know lol

i cant find that wishbone, maybe i'm looking in the wrong place?

As far as I can see the part you are looking for is Technic Suspension Steering Link 6L It is not yet available as an official part, it's still waiting to be certified. You can download it however, I believe there is nothing wrong with the part and will be certified. Here is the link http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cgi?f=parts/57515.dat

Download it, place in the correct folder with parts and update your parts list (I'm using bricksmith, so i am not sure how tot do it with other programs) and it should be available in your program.

Just know that if you decide to share the model file, most people will not have the correct part and it will be omitted from their model.

Here is instruction's on how to add new parts to Mlcad's part list.

Step 1) Download your file from Ldraw.org.

Step 2) Open the downloaded folder and copy the following files:

'Parts'

's'

'p'

'48'

Step 3) Open the following folders (c/program-files/Ldraw) and replace them with the matching folders from the downloaded file:

'Parts'

's'

'p'

'48'

Step 4) In MLcad click on 'scan parts' from the top right drop down menu.

[...]

Step 3) Open the following folders (c/program-files/Ldraw) and replace them with the matching folders from the downloaded file:

[...]

Or on a 64 bit machine: c/program-files (x86)/Ldraw :wink: