Sign in to follow this  
Admiral Croissant

HMS Surprise and USS Constitution by BlaketheAdmiral

thindexedgif.gif 112D & 114B

Flickr member BlaketheAdmiral has made a minifig scale (or close to it) version of both HMS Surprise and USS Constitution!

We have invited him to our forum, but he didn't respond so far so I decided to post them myself.

The deck colours and the interior could be improved a little IMO, but they are still very impressive!

HMS Surprise:

4794457816_6035c1c666_z.jpg

HMS SURPRISE by BlaketheAdmiral, on Flickr

USS Constitution:

5333903721_705188f0d0_z.jpg

DSCN5197 by BlaketheAdmiral, on Flickr

And of course they are [bloggedcp][/bloggedcp]

Very impressive find Admiral!

Clearly a lot of devotion came from the builder to make such ships on minifig scale. Clearly he was suffering from limited colors at his disposal (otherwise I think the Surprise wouldn't be blue) but still impressive work.

How did I miss these... oh the shame pirate_look.gif

They're beautiful and the scale is great!!

Very impressive find Admiral!

Clearly a lot of devotion came from the builder to make such ships on minifig scale. Clearly he was suffering from limited colors at his disposal (otherwise I think the Surprise wouldn't be blue) but still impressive work.

No, I think that colour is intentional. At least the replica vessel HMS Surprise (aka Rose) is painted in a dark, greenish blue. Before the battle of Trafalgar, the Royal Navy ships didn't all use the yellow-black-colour-scheme. In fact, the "Nelson Chequer" was mainly used by Nelson to distinguish ships under his command from that of other fleets or the enemy's vessels.

If I remember correctly, it was the decision of the fleet commander or the vessel's captain what colours to use on the vessels. Some captains spent more money on decorating their vessels than on their food.

These are very well done for being mostly built with your standard bricks. Did someone already invite this guy to our forums?

Wow, that are fantastic ships, mostly done by the standard bricks. :pir-wub: But the only thing I didn't like, are the sails and the way the sails seems to be attached, at least at the Constitution ->papersails scotchtaped/tesafilmed/stickytaped to the rigging ... come on, that's not a good way. BUT that's the only but, and it's a small one :hmpf_bad:

5333919283_d06d2ca5cb_b.jpg

Fantastic work on the hull... Nice design overall. Hope he joins our board!

How did I miss these... oh the shame pirate_look.gif

They're beautiful and the scale is great!!

No worries, as long as it finds its way to the blog. You do more than your share of topic finding.

These are both great MOCs. I believe they each deserve their own topic. :thumbup:

I believe they each deserve their own topic. :thumbup:

I agree with you. At least, if BlaketheAdmiral had posted them himself, he should have made 2 topics.

But on flickr finds we usually don't get many comments, so I decided to do them in 1 topic.

Otherwise we probably would have had 2 topics with both 2 or 3 comments, and these great MOC's don't deserve that :pir-classic:

BlacktheAdmiral could change the colors of Constitution to the Acheron colors and have a fight great sea battle between the Surprise and the Acheron. :thumbup:

BlacktheAdmiral could change the colors of Constitution to the Acheron colors and have a fight great sea battle between the Surprise and the Acheron. :thumbup:

That would be nice indeed.

The ships themselves look great. Truly a very nice find

Edited by Errorist