Rufus

The Curse of IMHOTEP - Confirmation & Discussion

Saqqara, Egypt, 1936....

6649247559_ca934d9381_z.jpg

After days of wandering through the hot and shimmering desert, the group finally catch a glimpse of a wide canyon and .... what is that? A large and foreboding statue! Could this be what they have been searching for all this time? Could this be the long forgotten statue of the great god IMHOTEP?

6649256437_b1a74603df_z.jpg

Unable to contain their excitement and enthusiasm, the group rush to find a way down. An ancient, rickety ropebridge affords them access ...

6649262137_674940555a_z.jpg

... and soon everyone has reached the canyon floor.

6649269901_c7b80e464e_z.jpg

As the last member of the group places their foot on the ground, a fearsome sandstorm blows in.

The wind blows and the sand whips around them obscuring their view, but leaving them unscathed, as if they are protected by a magical force. At the height of the storm an unspecified number of dark-robed figures can just about be made out in front of the grand statue, and faint but ominous chanting can be heard above the roar of the wind.

6651881115_4690181086_z.jpg

The earth rumbles and tremors, and distant rockfall can be heard, the chanting becomes more urgent and eager until...

6651884471_ce7c1e3d44_z.jpg

"I AM AWAKENED!"

A great voice booms across the canyon and echoes all around the mostly terrified group.

There is a sense of movement, as if people are re-joining the group.

6649284857_76965daa7c_z.jpg

Soon after, the wind dies down and the sand gently wafts away leaving the air as bright and clear as it had been not that long ago.

In the clear air the group look around themselves, confused. The ropebridge which had been their only access is destroyed, but there's a bright camp visible with signs of movement. Resigned to needing to find somewhere to rest, the group wander over to the pair of figures.

6649287193_2dc41ff77e_z.jpg

"Oh for....... It's only gone and happened again. Why can't they just leave the damn statue alone? :hmpf: "

"I'll put the kettle on; we're clearly going to need more tea. :look: "

6649291263_51cf743f95_z.jpg

The group wander over, in hopes of finding some answers to the strange goings-on, and possibly some breakfast.

6608373163_2fd3453da4_m.jpg6608371167_c533ef2d0e_m.jpg

"Well, I'm Ossie, and this is Is. You'd best introduce yourselves and check you're all here..."

The Players

We will say this once and once only. The characters were written before assigning players, and before assigning alignments. All assignments are entirely random. Information here is for fun; any assumptions are made at your own risk.

6623471525_c049c6e28a_o.jpg

The Great God IMHOTEP (NPC)

Do not upset him. Address him correctly or face the consequences. You have been warned.

6608373163_2fd3453da4_t.jpg6608371167_c533ef2d0e_t.jpg

The Guardians – Ossie and Is (Rufus and Pandora - NPCs)

They are a young couple who appear to live as hermits in the middle of the Egyptian desert. Whilst not unwelcoming to the expedition party, they still very much value their “alone time” for….. playing scrabble and whatnot.

6643855363_8b360b470f_t.jpg

Sheila Suxsumb - Played by Tamamono

Sheila is a curator at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York city and is a world - renowned expert in ancient Egyptian artefacts. A hard-nosed New Yorker, and a woman flying high in a man’s world, Sheila speaks as she finds and gets what she wants. She’s tentatively starting a relationship with her assistant, Johnson, but she’s not ready to take his Cox yet.

6643866653_4a754df087_t.jpg

Johnson Cox - Played by Cecilie

Johnson is Ms Suxsumb’s assistant from the New York Met and he himself is becoming well know in the field of translation and interpretation of hieroglyphs. He hails originally from the deep south, Louisiana to be exact, and so tends to be more laid back than his boss from the Big Apple. He’s just starting a relationship with his boss, Sheila, and one day hopes to make her Suxsumb-Cox.

6643864133_808f92d91b_t.jpg

Ophelia Balls - Played by fhomess

Ophelia is a member of the Royal Geographic Society in London, and is present on this expedition as a Mineralogist. She is a shy and retiring, somewhat sweet girl, know to be very studious in her nature. She produces report after report on clays and crystals, that while being completely ahead of their time in research, sadly no-one ever reads.

6644030399_ecddbc1907_t.jpg

Hans Gubernaculum - Played by badboytje88 Bob_ (Bob replaced badboy Day Two)

Hans is a Professor of Egyptology at the Aegyptisches Museum in Berlin. He is one of the leading lights in ancient Egyptian architecture and has previously discovered numerous fruitful sites for archaeological digs. Unexpectedly he is exact and precise in all that he does, and he abhors sloppiness and untidiness.

6643861959_d0d3342c85_t.jpg

Melaena Stools - Played by CallMePie

Melaena is a poet who has accompanied the party in hopes of finding inspiration for her flowery and insipid verses. She is forever an optimist, and her lack of creative skill is surpassed only by her complete absence of insight into her own inability to produce anything displaying a mote of talent. She is a friendly and happy person who believes people adore her and her poems.

6643859703_f7d8d9390a_t.jpg

Mellifluous Murgatroyd - Played by Scubacarrot

Mellifluous is a journalist for the Edinburgh Times, here to report first hand on the great discoveries that may be made during the expedition. She’s sweet, yet determined, and often uses her honeyed words to get her own way. Her articles are often more sensational than they are factual, and thus they garner a lot of attention worldwide.

6643857563_3a5bb3c64d_t.jpg

Jennifer Taylor - Played by Sandy

Jenny is a seasoned explorer and treasure hunter. She travels the world in search of artefacts to sell on to museums for the highest price possible. When she heard about this expedition, she knew she had to be a part of it. She has a shapely figure and often uses this to her advantage. She has treasure in her chest.

6643868821_4816072ce7_t.jpg

Nicholas Hoare - Played by Fugazi

Nicholas is a young man with a bit of family wealth behind him who fancies himself as an adventurer. Despite being socially awkward, his dream was to join the expedition, find some valuable artefacts and return home with enough stories of derring-do to impress the girls. One day, one of them might listen...

6643908649_06d0ebdf53_t.jpg

Penelope Farago - Played by Waterbrick Down

Penny is a serious scholar of Egyptian art who originates from Pisa in Italy, but currently works at the Musée du Louvre in Paris. She is passionate about art, and Egyptian art in particular, and has devoted much of her life to its study and appreciation. Despite her serious nature, she dresses somewhat flamboyantly and is known to be very descriptive in her language.

6643906041_e0e2cdb15e_t.jpg

Betty Swallocks - Played by TinyPies

Betty thought she was going on holiday to the south of France, but somehow ended up here. She has no idea what archaeology even means, let alone where Egypt is. She often gets confused or muddles things up and wanders around in her own little world.

6643903693_86a441ba32_t.jpg

Roger Goodenarde - Played by Professor Flitwick

Roger is really just here for a bally good time, what, what. He’s an ineffectual ex-army Captain who had to give up the soldier’s life after taking a bullet in the knee. In the army he was known to be rather oblivious to all going on around him and despite thinking he was entirely in control of his regiment, in fact his long-suffering Lieutenant had to devote considerable effort to ensure the Captain didn’t mistakenly tap his pipe out on an unexploded bomb.

6643901415_4a4bced4a4_t.jpg

Patrick Fitzwilliam - Played by def

Patrick is well renowned for his ability to organise expeditions and he was the natural choice when the leading lights of Egyptology declared an interest in exploring this part of the desert. Having organised so many expeditions before, he is rugged, dashing and masterful, and knows how to get his hands on the things he needs, by whatever means necessary.

6643899145_7dc6d6505c_t.jpg

William Fitzpatrick - Played by CorneliusMurdock

It would be foolish to venture into the wilds of the desert without someone who knows how to handle the business end of a weapon. That someone is William Fitzpatrick; skilled as a big game hunter, he’s here to tackle any aggressive creatures of the desert, or handle trouble with the locals. He’s loud, brash and aggressive, but on Friday nights he might have been spotted in the Pink Pussycat Club in Berlin wearing not much more than a feather boa and a pair of high-heels.

6643896727_d0a5b79221_t.jpg

Hugh Janus - Played by Eskallon

Hugh is the long-suffering Lieutenant who served under Captain Goodenarde. A military career composed of numerous close shaves thanks to his Captain’s ineptitude have wrought this poor man’s nerves, leaving him a gibbering shell of his former self. Where Captain Goodenarde goes, Lieutenant Janus knows he must follow. And be on the lookout for trouble.

6643872007_a540288c82_t.jpg

Aloysius - Played by ADHO15

Aloysius is a camel. A talking camel. No, really, they exist. Aloysius has been carting other people’s stuff around the desert for more years than he can remember, but it gets him out into the fresh air and allows him to meet people and show off his collection of hats. He doesn’t usually let on that he’s a talking camel, but in these unusual circumstances he has no choice but to speak up and make himself heard.

6643894663_ba76ac5d06_t.jpg

Gordon Bennett - Played by KielDaMan

Gordon is the engineer of the group and works hard to keep any and all of the transported equipment finely tuned. He’s found the best way to fine tune machinery is to cover it in oil and then hit it a lot. As a result he, and everything around him, tends to end up messy. This isn’t helped by his tendency to be a little “oily” with the ladies and has earned him a slapped face on a number of occasions.

6643892345_562243cfd9_t.jpg

Toulouse Leplot - Played by WhiteFang

Toulouse is Ms Farago’s assistant from the Musee du Louvre and is almost as passionate about art as she is. He would be considerably more passionate about it if she didn’t keep sending him out for croissants and cream cakes every few hours. He works hard and spends his time relaxing by playing the violin. Unfortunately his boss’s opinion of his violin playing is that a strangled cat would be more musical and so he has not brought his violin with him. As a result, he is often tense and somewhat irritable.

6643889967_39698bff68_t.jpg

Percy Pantwitter - Played by Rick

Percy is also a well known scholar of Egyptology at the Aegyptisches Museum in Berlin, and is forever in the shadow of the great Hans Gubernaculum. He is a petty man who delights in small victories, for instance snagging the last sausage at breakfast, but he is devoted to his studies and always strives to better himself.

6643887385_770c61c721_t.jpg

Father Thomas “Tomato” Thomson - Played by Ricecracker

Fr Thomas Thomson is a missionary minister who has been called “Tomato” since a young age thanks to his shock of bright red hair and the unimaginative way his parents named him. Apparently, this doesn’t bother him, and he will protest as much often and repeatedly to anyone who’ll listen. He accompanies the group in the hopes of preaching and converting others to his faith.

6643884843_01fa344f66_t.jpg

Mehmet Attabar - Played by Hinckley

Mehmet is an expert cook and knows how to make the supplies last a long way. His signature dish, Spicy Scorpion Fritters has fast become a favourite of the group’s, probably because they think it’s chicken. Like most cooks, he’s a big jolly man, often seen with a cleaver in his hand.

6643882069_4410626746_t.jpg

Ishaq Ettaq - Played by Wuntin

Ishaq is a suave and cool guy, who’s dealt with explorers on a number of occasions in other parts of his Egypt. He’s a warm and friendly person, but he sure knows how to squeeze the most cash out of these crazy Westerners. That said, he’ll do anything for the right price.

6643879525_886a9c9fd0_t.jpg

Mustafa Nidia - Played by Brickdoctor

Mustafa is a beaurocrat from the Egyptian Ministry for the Interior. He usually sits behind a desk in an air-conditioned office filling out forms. He is here to oversee the expedition, at least that’s how he sees it. The rest of the group view him as officious and self-important and little more than a pen-pusher. His job is to ensure that no artefacts are removed from the dig without the correct accompanying documentation. In triplicate.

6643876663_3e05a57276_t.jpg

Ahmed Apu - Played by Zepher

Ahmed is an adolescent from the local village who is looking for some honest work. He’s happy to fetch and carry for the good rates that Ishaq Ettaq has secured for the locals. He carries heavy loads with ease, and wonders why on earth this lot can’t just carry it themselves. He’s happy to be part of such a colourful group of people, despite his inexplicable hatred of the colour pink.

6643874135_2269a1f9af_t.jpg

Nadir Zenith - Played by JimButcher

Nadir is a very serious man. He takes his responsibilities seriously, including mucking out the camel. He is depressingly pessimistic about everything around him, and has the most irritating habit of always referring to himself in the third person.

Apologies to anyone we haven't picked. Thank you for your interest and enthusiasm! With 24 slots, we couldn't pick everyone :sad:

Reserves

Bob_

zakura

VolcanicPanik

6660842777_8dc97dcaf5_t.jpg

6690717823_f4aa30a67b_t.jpg

6716944011_2b7feeaa44_t.jpg

6743552169_55935acf18_t.jpg

6767059731_5c8f7d249e_t.jpg

6790890895_9f723f5135_t.jpg

6813737401_f645d181a1_t.jpg

6847608971_a938b948bb_o.png

*Disclaimer Any resemblances to characters, real or fictional, or Ancient Egyptians, living, dead, or undead, are purely coincidental.

The oh-so-innocent Patrick Fitzwilliam is here. I am remarkably innocent, hoping that I will not end up being the lover William Fitzpatrick upon one of our deaths :laugh: I am ready to get rough and tumble with any cultists hoping to sacrifice me to some obscure desert god. Nope, none of that for me :sadnew:

Scribbles on notebook:

Mellifluous Murgatroyd is here, in Egypt, where a group of explorers have stumbled on something AMAZING. A large statue -

Looks up from notebook:

Oh, Hi. Im Mellifluous Murgatroyd, reporter for the Edinburgh Times! Is, I just want to say, your hair is LOVELY:wub: .

Hello there Ossie and Is, I'm Percy. Lovely valley you live in. Too bad we're trapped in, so we better get rid of the evil amongst us as quickly as possible.

Tea? That sounds great! :sweet:

Greetings, everyone! My name is Aloysius and I am a Camelus dromedarius. Do not be alarmed that I am able to talk. All camels can, but the majority choose not to. You humans normally think you are observing a mirage when we do try to engage in conversation. I also store wine in my hump and sleep in a burrow, but that is not important. What is interesting is my impressive collection of headwear. Does everyone like my new fedora? I received it as a gift earlier this year from another explorer I served here in Egypt while he searched for the Ark of the Covenant. He was not particularly fond of our kind, however.

I am terribly embarrassed to say that I seem to have voided my bowels when that statue appeared to come to life. Nadir, be a dear and sweep it away, won't you? And I should require a fresh bale of risotto each morning, thank you. No more of this hay rubbish.

Hello,

Hans Gubernaculum is the name,

Discovering numerous fruitful sites for archaeological digs is the fame!

Now did someone spice my tea,

Cause it appears that the camel is talking to you and me....

Humn... Not sure if this rhyme thing is going to work...

Phtui! So far no treasure, only sand everywhere. In my mouth, on my hair, in between my brea...dloaves...

Anyway, it is I, Jennifer Taylor, the famous treasure huntress extraordinaire! What, you haven't heard of me? Really?!

Gosh, what a stunning sight that is! In all my life I never thought I'd see a pyramid. I've heard people talk about them before, but I never knew they really existed! :wub:

Hello Ossie! Hello Is! My name is Betty Swallocks. This is fun. I've really enjoyed this little detour, but how much further is it until we reach France? I can't wait to see Cannes, I hear the Mona Lisa is spectacular. :wub:

Ladies and gentlemen, please allow me to introduce myself. I am Nicholas Hoare, a dashing and wealthy young man looking for wild adventures of the opposite sex in the hot desert sand. My manly looks can't fail to attract the attention of the ladies in this group, but I ask that my valiant deeds are all you judge me upon. Now let's have some tea before heading off to slay the damsels and rescue the dragon. Or something. :look:

Sheila Suxsumb here! Don't misinterpret my name, though - under no circumstances am I going to Suxsumb! :tongue:

In the desert of Saqqara

Well, that's all I've got so far, but I'm sure I'll find something that rhymes with Saqqara. :sweet: I'm Maelana Stools and I'm sure this nice couple will have many stories or vast featureless flats and little desert rats positively quaking with excitement while living out their hollow lives in front of a cold gray stone.

Which will simply make the most lovely poems! :purrr:

The oh-so-innocent Patrick Fitzwilliam is here. I am remarkably innocent, hoping that I will not end up being the lover William Fitzpatrick upon one of our deaths :laugh:

Silly Patrick, we're probably cousins or something. And don't get any weird ideas just because I wear a feather boa sometimes. It's really comfortable and doesn't mean anything. :look:

William Fitzpatrick reporting for duty. I'm sure we'll find a way out of this mess in no time.

So how does the reserve thing work? So if a player is unable to play, one of us tales their place correct?

That's how it normally works, yes.

Ahoy-hoy folks! Captain Goodenarde, dontcha know? Terrible bit 'o weather, ay what? Never get this sort of thing back in good 'ol blighty, dontcha know. I say, Lieutenant Janus, where'd I put my blasted pipe tobacco?

Mustafa Nidia here, where do I sign?

MegaBloks, it's hot. Where's an air conditioner when you need one?

Memmet Attabar ...or something like that... reporting in! I've just woken up so forgive me for being late. I slept in. Anybody want me to whip up my signature Spicy Scorpion Fritters for breakfast?

Anybody want me to whip up my signature Spicy Scorpion Fritters for breakfast?

I'd love some! Scorpion meat is so juicy and savory. :drool:

Scorpions, scorpions

Your tail really sucks

Scorpions, scorpions

Who gives a-

Hmmm.

duck?

Are there any ducks around here? :sweet: Those little fellows are just so lovely!

Dear friends! Do not fear, for faith will help us all through this time! I, Mr. Tomato-Man, am here, ready to help you better connect to God. :sweet:

Hi there everyone,

My name is Toulouse Leplot. Pleased to be part of the expedition with you guys! Let's hope we don't get into too much trouble in here. :look:

This is Nadir, and he thinks it somewhat strange that the statue was glowing...

Wau-wa-wi-wah! A talking camel!

Well, I am very good at spicing them up and fritting them, but I can't catch them so well. :blush:

Dear friends! Do not fear, for faith will help us all through this time! I, Mr. Tomato-Man, am here, ready to help you better connect to God. :sweet:

Oh good. A man of faith! Men of faith are always innocent... *huh*