Sign in to follow this  
Sandy

Heroica RPG - Quest#34: The Dark Secret

"Excuse me, Count Shadeaux, I assume? May I have a word with you?"

The guards turn and block Guts' way to the count.

"Not a step further!" the other guard says.

heroicaquest34-countshadeaux2.jpg

Count Shadeaux's interest is however piqued.

"Mmm, an interruption to my nightly walk? How... refreshing", the count muses. "State your buziness, strangeur, but be mindful about who you are talking tu. I know every trick in ze book."

What will Guts say?

"No need to be alarmed, guardsman, I wish the Count no harm."

Guts waves the guards down, and then continues:

"I, and my two apprentices here, are clerics of Mercutio, as you might have gathered. Our Pilgrimage has brought us here to Eubric, to see the Cathedral of Commerce, The Fountain of Three Gods, and of course this place, the Grove of the Forsaken. Now, I'll get to the point, as you might be aware, tonight is the Night of Success, a holy day, well night actually, dedicated to Mercutio. It is said that he who drinks a rare wine blessed by Mercutio's followers, under the night sky, shall have increased luck for the coming year. Well, let's just say Mercutio's following is... interested in House Shadeaux doing well, if you get my meaning..."

Guts presents the Wine, and adds:

"It would be our honour."

Count Shadeaux laughs heartily.

heroicanpc-noctusshadeaux.jpg

"Du you take me for a fou? I cannot even remembeur 'ow many times someone 'as tried to poizon me. Mais c'est la vie! Guards, kill zem."

The count leaves the two guards to face the party, vanishing into the shadows of the trees himself.

PREPARE FOR BATTLE!

Enemies:

heroicaquest34-shadeauxeliteguard2.jpg

Shadeaux Elite Guard Athos

Type: Humanoid

Level: 10

Health: 119/119

Special:
Hide In Shadows
– Changes all 3’s and 4’s rolled against the Elite Guard into a MISS for the next turn.

Drops: 50 gold

heroicaquest34-shadeauxeliteguard.jpg

Shadeaux Elite Guard Borthos

Health: 119/119

Special:
Hide In Shadows
– Changes all 3’s and 4’s rolled against the Elite Guard into a MISS for the next turn.

Party:

6843093399_d39f47706a_t.jpg

Dak Shadeaux
(played by Darth Nihilus)

Level 11½ Rogue

Power:
21 (16 for ranged attacks)

Health:
17/17

Gold:

Inventory:
Mockthril Knife (WP:10,
lightning-elemental
), Throwing Knife (WP:5, ranged, retrievable), Twin Longswords (WP:3), 2 Venoms, Potion, 2 Meads, Nostrum, Smelling Salts, Bedroll, Shovel

dscf0014.jpg

Dyric Rone
(played by The Legonater)

Level 12 Rogue
*Lucky*

Power:
22 (16 for ranged attacks)

Health:
19/19

Gold:

Inventory:
Double Chain Whip (WP: 10), Throwing Knife (WP:4, ranged, retrievable), Longsword (WP: 3), Loaded Die (permanent lucky-effect), Potion, Venom, Smelling Salts

6800805643_71f494fd9d_t.jpg

Guts Holla
(played by Scubacarrot) *Party Leader*

Level 14½ Rogue
*Encouraged*
*Hastened*
*Lucky*

Power:
(
for ranged attacks)

Health:
20/20

Gold:

Inventory:
Lifestealer (WP:12,
ice-elemental
, attacks restore 3 health), Throwing Knife (WP:8, ranged,
light-elemental
, retrievable), Beholder's Eye (allows one round of battle to be replayed per quest), 2 Grand Potions, 5 Meads, 2 Nostrums, 2 Smelling Salts, Bedroll, Shovel, Diluted Potion (quest item)

Party Leader, choose the order of action.

All of you, choose your targets and the row you want to fight in. Also mention if you want to try to flee, heal or cast a magic spell, or if you want to use an item instead of attacking.

Any enemy not targeted will get a Free Hit on the party after everyone have acted.

"Sod it, it worked fine against the Orcish Mage, back in Carthago... Perhaps I'm getting old, after all..."

Guts unsheathed his sword, the blade making a sound of cold iron as it escapes it's metal sheath, in the otherwise fairly quiet night, the sound is almost greedy. Guts got in position, and prepared himself to charge at Shadeaux Elite Guard Athos, from the front row, twice.

Battle order:

Guts

Guts

Dak

Dyric

I have another French term for you. En passant!

I attack Athos from the front row with my chain whip.

"Dammit, Guts, can we go anywhere without you making someone try to kill us? Ah well, taste lightning, bastards! I'll take Borthos, from the front row, with my knife!"

Results of Round One of the Shadeaux Elite Guard Battle:

Guts vs. Athos - Miss/Shield (Mug)

Guts vs. Athos - Damage/Critical Hit

Dak vs. Borthos - Hit

Dyric vs. Borthos - Shield (Mug)/Damage

As the battle against the two guards commences, Guts delivers a flurry of attacks against the one called Athos. First the rogue mugs the guard, dealing a whopping 100 damage and gaining 100 gold from the strike, and then he finishes his opponent off with a critical hit that causes 76 damage. Dak hits the other guard for 21 damage, and Dyric follows by mugging Borthos for 42 damage and an equal amount of gold.

Only one enemy remains, so the battle continues automatically.

Enemies:

heroicaquest34-shadeauxeliteguard.jpg

Shadeaux Elite Guard Borthos

Health: 56/119

Special:
Hide In Shadows

Party:

Dak Shadeaux

Level 11½ Rogue

Power:
21 (16 for ranged attacks)

Health:
17/17

Gold:

Inventory:
lightning-elemental
), Throwing Knife (WP:5, ranged, retrievable), Twin Longswords (WP:3), 2 Venoms, Potion, 2 Meads, Nostrum, Smelling Salts, Bedroll, Shovel

dscf0014.jpg

Dyric Rone

Level 12 Rogue
*Lucky*

Power:

Health:
19/19

Gold:

Inventory:
Double Chain Whip (WP: 10), Throwing Knife (WP:4, ranged, retrievable), Longsword (WP: 3), Loaded Die (permanent lucky-effect), Potion, Venom, Smelling Salts

Guts Holla

Level 14½ Rogue
*Encouraged*
*Hastened*
*Lucky*

Power:
(
for ranged attacks)

Health:
20/20

Gold:

Inventory:
ice-elemental
light-elemental
, retrievable), Beholder's Eye (allows one round of battle to be replayed per quest), 2 Grand Potions, 5 Meads, 2 Nostrums, 2 Smelling Salts, Bedroll, Shovel, Diluted Potion (quest item)

Results of Round Two of the Shadeaux Elite Guard Battle:

Guts vs. Borthos - Shield (Mug)/Miss

Guts vs. Borthos - Miss/Critical Hit

Dak vs. Borthos - Hit

Dyric vs. Borthos - Special Damage/Hit

Guts goes into his thug-mode again and mugs the remaining guard, taking away all his health and earning 56 gold as a bonus.

THE BATTLE IS VICTORIOUS!

All heroes gain half of a level of experience. The enemies drop 100 gold.

Party:

Dak Shadeaux

Level 12 Rogue

Power:
22 (17 for ranged attacks)

Health:
18/18

Gold:

Inventory:
lightning-elemental

dscf0014.jpg

Dyric Rone

Level 12½ Rogue
*Lucky*

Power:

Health:
19/19

Gold:

Inventory:

Guts Holla

Level 15 Rogue

Power:
27 (23 for ranged attacks)

Health:
21/21

Gold:

Inventory:
ice-elemental
light-elemental

Party Leader, please divide the dropped gold:

heroica-gold.jpg100 gold

The rogues look around, but Count Shadeaux is long gone. They will have to try again another night.

Will the party return to the Invision Guildhouse or explore the park some more?

"Hmm, let's explore the park some more, who knows what we will find. I say we head to the Luminous Passage."

Guts divides 50 gold to each Dyric and Dak.

The eerily beautiful Luminous Passage is empty apart from a lone woman walking away from the party. Her high stiletto heels make a clicking sound on the hard ground.

heroicaquest34-questionablelady1.jpg

If I may, can we please not run into another assault bows-a-blazing again? There had got to be a more... civilized option.

Alright, fine. I hide my knife and whip in my cloak and approach the woman non-threateningly.

Hello, ma'am. I do not mean to frighten. We are but three, lost circus performers. Could you help us on our way?

Edited by The Legonater

"Kay....that was over quicker than I expected. Thanks for the gold." Seeing the woman, Dak quickly sheaths his knife again and walks behind and slightly off to the right of Dyric, trying to look inconspicuous.

Hello, ma'am. I do not mean to frighten. We are but three, lost circus performers. Could you help us on our way?

The "lady" turns around and smiles "coyly" at the rogues behind "her" fan.

heroicaquest34-questionablelady2.jpg

"Mmm, sure! I'd love to help you out, boys!" the questionable lady says with a gruff, low voice. "How about I help you out in those bushes over there, handsome?"

The "woman" winks at Dyric and motions him to follow "her" to the shrubbery. "I promise I'll make it worth your while, hottie."

How will Dyric respond?

Dyric is visibly shocked. Oh... um... I... uh... no thank you, sir- I mean ma'am- I mean... uh... you see, we're in a terrible rush, and you're not... my... look, I don't mean to sound rude or anything, I really don't. It's just we really need to be at this meeting. Look.... uh... I've got gold. I can compensate you. And if not that, then, uh, one of my friends here will be perfectly willing to go with you. You'd like them better anyways. Just, uh, have you seen anyone else come though here recently? I'm really sorry.

Edited by The Legonater

"What?!" the dubious lady growled. "You dare to refuse my genial offer? I don't flaunt my junk in front of just anybody's face, you know? I'm not that kind of a girl. I'll give you the most important lesson a man can learn in life: HELL HATH NO FURY LIKE A WOMAN SCORNED!!!"

The "lady" flicked "her" fan forcibly, making steel blades protrude from it. "Her" eyes were in flames from rage as "she" rushed towards the rogues.

PREPARE FOR BATTLE!

heroicaquest34-questionablelady2.jpg

Enemy:

Questionable Lady

Level: 12

Health: 161/161

Special:
Striptease
– Unequips all artefacts from the target. Equipping them back costs a turn.

Drops: Steel Fan (WP:12, suitable to mages and rogues), Trendy Handbag (artefact, protects from whatever negative effect that was most recently inflicted to anyone in a battle)

Party:

Dak Shadeaux

Level 12 Rogue

Power:

Health:
18/18

Gold:

Inventory:
lightning-elemental

dscf0014.jpg

Dyric Rone

Level 12½ Rogue
*Lucky*

Power:

Health:
19/19

Gold:

Inventory:

Guts Holla

Level 15 Rogue

Power:

Health:
21/21

Gold:

Inventory:
ice-elemental
light-elemental

Party Leader, choose the order of action.

All of you, choose your targets and the row you want to fight in. Also mention if you want to try to flee, heal or cast a magic spell, or if you want to use an item instead of attacking.

Any enemy not targeted will get a Free Hit on the party after everyone have acted.

I... you- oh nevermind. This was totally not my fault.

I attack Questionable Lady from the front row with my whip.

"What were you saying about diplomacy earlier? I don't go around insulting random 'women' on the street, casanova."

Guts attacks from the front row!

Battle Order:

Guts

Dyric

Dak

"What were you saying about diplomacy earlier? I don't go around insulting random 'women' on the street, casanova."

Insult!?! I politely declined her... I mean his... I mean... I politely declines the offer, and was going to offer gold in compensation! Gold! Who can resist that? Besides, at least I didn't try to poison her, and in the most obvious way possible for that matter!

Results of Round One of the Questionable Lady Battle:

Guts vs. Questionable Lady - Shield (Mug)

Dyric vs. Questionable Lady - Hit/Special Damage

Dak vs. Questionable Lady - Hit

Having no choice but to respond to the "woman's" berserk attack, the rogues draw their weapons. Guts takes the opportunity to mug the drag queen for 51 damage and 51 gold. Both Dyric and Dak then follow up with their own attacks, both dealing 22 damage.

With only one weakened enemy, the battle will the played automatically.

Enemy:

Questionable Lady

Level: 12

Health: 66/161

Special:
Striptease
– Unequips all artefacts from the target. Equipping them back costs a turn.

Drops: Steel Fan (WP:12, suitable to mages and rogues), Trendy Handbag (artefact, protects from whatever negative effect that was most recently inflicted to anyone in a battle)

Party:

Dak Shadeaux

Level 12 Rogue

Power:

Health:
18/18

Gold:

Inventory:
lightning-elemental

dscf0014.jpg

Dyric Rone

Level 12½ Rogue
*Lucky*

Power:

Health:
19/19

Gold:

Inventory:

Guts Holla

Level 15 Rogue

Power:

Health:
21/21

Gold:

Inventory:
ice-elemental
light-elemental

Results of Round One of the Questionable Lady Battle:

Guts vs. Questionable Lady - Hit

Dyric vs. Questionable Lady - Critical Hit/Damage

Dak vs. Questionable Lady - Critical Hit

The three rogues continue their merciless attacks. Guts deals 27 damage to the lady. Dyric and Dak both score critical hits, dealing 32 damage each. With that, the questionable lady falls.

THE BATTLE IS VICTORIOUS!

All heroes gain half of a level of experience. The enemy drops a Steel Fan and a Trendy Handbag.

Party:

Dak Shadeaux

Level 12½ Rogue

Power:

Health:
18/18

Gold:

Inventory:
lightning-elemental

dscf0014.jpg

Dyric Rone

Level 13 Rogue
*Lucky*

Power:
23 (17 for ranged attacks)

Health:
20/20

Gold:

Inventory:

Guts Holla

Level 15½ Rogue

Power:

Health:
21/21

Gold:

Inventory:
ice-elemental
light-elemental

Party Leader, please divide the spoils of the battle:

heroica-steelfan.jpgSteel Fan - WP:12, suitable to mages and rogues

heroica-trendyhandbag.jpgTrendy Handbag (Artefact/Accessory) - Protects from whichever negative effect that was most recently inflicted to anyone in a battle

Upon ransacking the handbag, Guts finds traces of drugs among all the make-up and faux jewelry. It explains the drag queen's erratic behaviour. Maybe they'll run into a dealer in the park at some point...

"Erm...alright.... default_look.gif I'll take this "woman" from the front row, with my dagger!"

Uh, Dak? She's down.

Guts tosses the handbag to Dak, and gives the Steel Fan to Dyric.

"Alright, 'her' belongings were worthless, but there are traces of substances the Bonapartes restrict importing, would explain 'her' behaviour. Let's head to the Stone Garden, last place to check out."