Sign in to follow this  
Brendan Powell Smith

The Brick Testament - When God Attacks

The Brick Testament website has been updated today with four newly illustrated stories from Revelation:

Terrorized Humans Wish for Death, 144,000 Jews Saved, God Burns One Third of Earth , and God Poisons Humans, Sealife.

Here are a few preview images:

rv08_07b.jpg

rv08_07c.jpg

rv08_07d.jpg

rv06_14c.jpg

Enjoy the stories,

-Brendan Powell Smith

The Brick Testament - The world’s largest, most comprehensive illustrated Bible

Brendan, your project quality just keep increasing, the mocs are better chapters after chapters, and the pictures too ! YOu really did a great job !! :thumbup:

as example This "earthquake"and "lightning" effects are really cool:

rv08_05b.jpg

and this one made me laugh :

rv06_14a.jpg

The sky was rolled up like a scroll.

Oh ! the scroll effect is really well done! hihihi

Edited by Guss

Truly top-notch work, as always. It's funny; I was reading Joel today, and contemplated building the apocalypse from this "historical" standpoint (if my choice of words makes sense.) Enough with the zombies and lone hero, already! :wink:

Again, fantastic interpretation.

The construction is great, however I'm having trouble getting behind it as a project. I'm agnostic, so it really just seems like disturbing depictions of human suffering to me. Also the girl in the McDonald's scene strongly reminds me of my girlfriend.

I have to admit though, some very creative techniques here. Nice job.

Man, I don't know if you're crazy or not...but these are some great creations! As disturbed as I was with the picture of all the charred skeletons, it was a great technique, and amazing photography! I love it! The globe is a job well done!

Thanks to everyone for the kind words.

@Toa of Whimsy:

I agree, the image does seem "so wrong", but this is to match the text. Something also seems very wrong about the idea of rounding up 144,000 Jews to put a mark of identification on them.

@Guss:

Thanks, I do hope my skills are sharpening after seven years at this! It really makes me want to go back and re-illustrate the stuff I did back in late 2001 and 2002. I certainly spend a lot more time and effort on each photo than I did way back when, so that's part of it. But the rest is techniques I've come up with that suit The Brick Testament's particular type of LEGO building/photography or innovative techniques I've incorporated from other builders.

@Etzel:

I wanted something a little more impressive/dramatic than the lil' globe I did for the Jesus's Teachings stories a couple years ago. I worked off some fairly simple LEGO sphere instructions (sorry, can't find the link at the moment) but worked out the continent shapes and coloring myself, plus added in some plates at my discretion to make the curves a little less blocky. I had seen some great LEGO Earth globes, but hadn't seen one that used multiple colors for the continents. Of course, now that I look around, it seems Nathan Sawaya made a really nice one (holy crap, is that light blue for the oceans? WTF?). My globe is only actually a half globe. Because I'm lazy.

@SirNardoj:

Compliments are extra weighty coming from one of my favorite builders. Your work has been inspirational. I'd be very interested to see your take on the book of Joel. I'm sure you'll get to it before I do! At your prodigous rate of output, you could probably finish the whole Bible before I do despite my enormous headstart!

@Algernon:

The Brick Testament is not intended to celebrate the massive amounts of human suffering described in the Bible, but rather to bring it to people's attention in an engaging way. I am an atheist, and I imagine that if more people actually read the Bible there would be significantly more atheists (or at least atheist as concerns the God presented in the Bible). Of course, I could be wrong about that. There are a fair amount of believers who have read the Bible cover to cover and plenty who are fans of The Brick Teestament. I would say my main bias when illustrating is to sympathize with the victims of the massive amounts of human pain and suffering in the Bible rather than sympathizing with the ones carrying out such pain and suffering (which is the bias I tend to detect in most other illustrations and retellings of Bible stories).

@Darth Legolas:

Thanks. Indeed, the point of the charred landscape image was to be both highly disturbing and at the same time aesthetically impressive. I would say The Brick Testament works best at such moments.

Thanks again to everyone for the comments!

-Brendan

Amazing. Just amazing.

Imagery, sets, humor too!

The level of detail in every photograph is astounding and beautiful.

I love this one:

rv08_08b.jpg

This is a really good concept, and I'm seriously considering purchasing the entire lot in hardcover. Well done! 10/10!

You may justt rank as one of my very favorite buildiers! These are always incredible, but this chapter is so well done and so cool! It's actually some of the best building I've seen... ever maybe!